Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are lots of them, but I'd guess most are total BS.

Reading between the lines of the Ducati "roadshow plan" I can make a guess about the look of the new Superbikes. Apparently the Desmosedici will be part of the new Superbike family. So perhaps the redesigned twin cylinder Superbikes will look something like the Desmosedici V-4.

We'll probably find out this Fall when new models are shown at the European motorcycle conventions.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Hickey said:
................Reading between the lines of the Ducati "roadshow plan" I can make a guess about the look of the new Superbikes. Apparently the Desmosedici will be part of the new Superbike family. So perhaps the redesigned twin cylinder Superbikes will look something like the Desmosedici V-4.
Interesting thought that you have there. "Pre approved" styling approval by way of the Desmosedici bike and a more functional, efficient design as well.
Then again, they may think it best to keep a separate identity for the Superbike. Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Personally, if my $65k bike looked like a 'run of the mill' $18k bike, I'd be a little irritated, enhanced performance or no.

At that price point for a motorcycle, I'd expect EVERY aspect of the bike to be exclusive, not just the internal bits.

·
27,757 Posts
Why do people think the superbikes are going to be re-designed for next year? The current design was introduced in late '2002. I really think Ducati will get more than 5 years out of it.

It's just amazing the amount of mis-information people read into that Ducati "state of the company" report.:crazy:

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
The 999 styling isn´t gonna change before 2008 atleast..
Especially since the design is doing so well in WSBK.

I´ll put money behind that statement. It doesn´t "jive" with what Frederico Minoli (CEO Ducati) has been saying.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mapless said:
Personally, if my $65k bike looked like a 'run of the mill' $18k bike, I'd be a little irritated, enhanced performance or no.

At that price point for a motorcycle, I'd expect EVERY aspect of the bike to be exclusive, not just the internal bits.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that and I'll bet Ducati has.

Does anyone know how things are progressing with Ducati negotiating for a displacement boost in World Superbike? It seems to me that would have an effect on more than just engine displacement. Wouldn't the engine be both taller and longer? Not by a lot but enough to justify new tank, airbox, radiator, and frame designs?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mapless said:

What would you want it to look like? It is based on the Desmodeci (sp). From the side by side pictures with the "real" Desmodeci, it looks like its using the exact same body kit and fairings. How many production bikes out there can say the same thing? It has a lot in common with the ultra expensive "real" race bike.

I believe they were going for a race replica and they hit the nail on the head.

But you're right. I wouldn't go out and buy one if I had that scratch. I would rather spend my money on a ACR Dodge Viper.:)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hickey said:
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that and I'll bet Ducati has.

Does anyone know how things are progressing with Ducati negotiating for a displacement boost in World Superbike? It seems to me that would have an effect on more than just engine displacement. Wouldn't the engine be both taller and longer? Not by a lot but enough to justify new tank, airbox, radiator, and frame designs?

Interesting article in this month's issue of ROADRACING WORLD.

WSB wants a relationship between the race bikes and the street bikes so there will likely be no 1,200's in WSB unless Ducati manufactures a 1,200cc street bike. Apparently, they are going ahead with this. Meanwhile, Aprilia looks to have dumped their twin and is said to be readying a V-4 to market and race in WSB.

It will be interesting to see how the Ducatis handle with the longer 1,200cc motor. As the motors have progressed from the 996 to the 999R the strokes have gotten shorter and this has allowed Ducati to move the crankshaft forward in the frame to increase weight on the front wheel to aid handling and feel. They'll have to move in the other direction with the 1,200 as bore is maxed out on the 999R with regard to flame travel limits at current redlines...

·
Registered
269 Posts
level7 said:
What would you want it to look like? It is based on the Desmodeci (sp). From the side by side pictures with the "real" Desmodeci, it looks like its using the exact same body kit and fairings. How many production bikes out there can say the same thing? It has a lot in common with the ultra expensive "real" race bike.

I believe they were going for a race replica and they hit the nail on the head.

But you're right. I wouldn't go out and buy one if I had that scratch. I would rather spend my money on a ACR Dodge Viper.:)
I think you misunderstand me.
If, as a (theoretical) D16RR owner, Ducati released a sucessor to the 999/749, which was at the $18k price point the bikes currently sit at (and bear in mind, I love my 999, this isn't a dig) which looked the same as the D16RR, AS that owner I'd be mighty pissed at Ducati. Call it 'diluting the value' or whatever.

We all know that looks aren't everything, especially in the motorcycle world, but like I said, at the price point these bikes are at, you expect a bit of distinction, be it standing out from everyone else, as with the 999/749, or standing out from every other Ducati ever made, as with the D16RR.

(I also say this as someone who'll never own the D16RR, unless depreciation is exceedingly cruel to them.)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mapless said:

The Sedici is coming out in July '07. There's no way Ducati would build production bikes with the same look and release them in the Fall of '06. I wouldn't expect a redesign until '08. OTOH, maybe the new 999 will look different from the Sedici, and they'll release it in '07 so the entire superbike lineup will be new in '07. OTOH (I have three), maybe they'll release the Sedici in '07 and the new 999 in '08 so the magazines will have something to write about in both years.

OTOH (my fourth hand) maybe this speculation is a waste of time. But fun.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mapless said:
I think you misunderstand me.
If, as a (theoretical) D16RR owner, Ducati released a sucessor to the 999/749, which was at the $18k price point the bikes currently sit at (and bear in mind, I love my 999, this isn't a dig) which looked the same as the D16RR, AS that owner I'd be mighty pissed at Ducati. Call it 'diluting the value' or whatever.

We all know that looks aren't everything, especially in the motorcycle world, but like I said, at the price point these bikes are at, you expect a bit of distinction, be it standing out from everyone else, as with the 999/749, or standing out from every other Ducati ever made, as with the D16RR.

(I also say this as someone who'll never own the D16RR, unless depreciation is exceedingly cruel to them.)
Gottcha now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.