Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Any regrets for Michelin Road 5, non-GT?

10K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  vfrcapn 
#1 · (Edited)
Giving the Michelin Road 5 tires a go, install is scheduled. I'm not getting the GT version of this tire as never going to have a pillion and not going to load this down. That said I do weight about 235 lbs. Should be fine, no? 2012 MTS Sport Touring, no luggage, aftermarket (light) exhaust, plus pillion foot pegs and rear mud guard removed.

Edit: Just remembered I was told the GT version is "new" so maybe nobody has had time with them

Edit #2: Previous Owner installed Dunlop Q3 Plus and they are fabulous but I'm worried about wet and rough roads, plus they are near bald :)

#5 ·
The Road 5 GT is indeed very new, they were not available when I replaced my OE tires with the Road 5 in July. IIRC the GT was designed for bikes like the FJR1300/Concours, both of which are well over 600lbs unloaded.

As for the Road 5, as I've come to expect they are better in every way than the Pirelli OE tires, at least for the type of riding I do. Michelin tires just seem to transition into corners in a more linear and predictable fashion, not to mention lasting a lot longer. I'm right around your weight, and don't have any issues with squirming or heavy wear on the Road 5s. I will skip the GTs next time, the normal Road 5 is a good fit for this bike.

#6 ·
One of the DL1000's I owned had Anakee III and they were fantastic, so I trust the brand. I'm sure I never pushed the limit of the Dunlop Smartmax Q3 the previous owner installed but I might have in the back of my mind for a while that I should not push as hard with R5's as I'm no longer on tires suited for track days.

#9 ·
I can report the Michelin Road 5’s are working well for me. Better than my well worn out Q3+, for sure. :). Only thing surprising was the ABS on front brake engaged a number of times today and that the first time I can remember that happening, even at relatively low speed, which was quite an interesting feeling through the brake lever!

#10 ·
I've permanently switched to Road 5's for general use... they lasted the entire riding season (I used to go through 2 full sets of Angel GT's per year) and still have some life left in them (>10000 mile life front and rear vs. 4k and 5500 AGT). And where the Pilot Road 4's also had great durability, I really didn't like the squrminess of PR4's in the corners (including the tendency to hop out on me), the Road 5's don't do any of that and feel as planted as AGT's. I have not tried the GT version, maybe if I was going to do another around the country tour with a lot of gear I might.

Reactions: Wolverine1
#15 ·
I ordered the new 5s based on feedback of a member here as well as liking the last 3k I got from them when I purchased the bike. Not sure how many miles they went in totality as the were used, but I commute on it year round and have some nice curvy roads or I-state, so need a do everything kind of tire. We will see how they last.

#17 ·
Here is a pic with 4000 at 40 psi 2 up on my ST4s. This is the ridge from the excessive wear which of course feels squirrelly when you lean over onto it. Not having this problem on the 2nd set on ZX11.

Attachments

#20 ·
Here was my rear with something around 9000 miles on it (most of those miles commute). Getting close to needing to be changed out, but less of a flat than usual for commuting and cornering rubber is not too uneven (more wear at small lean angles but not a huge flat anywhere). I attributed it to better compound variation on the Michelins because I generally had a pretty good flat at the center of the tire and at about 40-45 degrees on the AGT's by 4000 miles.

Asphalt Road surface Concrete Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

Reactions: Wolverine1
#21 ·
I’m on my second set of PR5’s. Like the tire. The sides are sticky on the lean and it feels planted on the road. I get about 5-6k miles to it. I also ride it hard on the Dragon 2 times a year. The touring trips I take on it average about 2k miles. Rain performance is excellent too. I wear them out but have never had a ridge form.

#22 ·
I've gone through a PR5 set now in about 5500 miles. They seemed really good the first 80% of their life. Towards the end here they've gone squirmy and greasy feeling. I have a new PR5 set to go on, just need to make some time. With these I'm having rear tire cupping. I've been using Michelins for 10 years or so and I think this started with the PR3 or PP3, on a different bike obviously. I don't know if it's Michelin, or my riding style...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.