Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's a "tail tidy"?
A tail tidy is normally a minimalist bent alloy plate that allows you mount your rear number plate, brake light and indicators to. Normally you would mount small LED indicators on it. I guess a tail tidy gets it's name because it 'tidies up clutter on the tail of many bikes.

On our project bike the mud guard extends down several inches past my number plate which I don't like the looks of. I could jut trim it off but I wanted to see if there are any nicer looking options.

·
Señor Member
8,417 Posts
Here are pictures of what I did to mine. Raised the plate as high up as it could go and trimmed off the plastic below it. Wanted to keep looking as stock as possible but cleaned up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Here are pictures of what I did to mine. Raised the plate as high up as it could go and trimmed off the plastic below it. Wanted to keep looking as stock as possible but cleaned up.
That looks good, is functional, and keeps things as they were designed.
I'm doing the same to mine, but adding a NYC plate puller so I don't get parking tickets, or the plate stolen....

I thought about a tail tidy, and there was one guy selling one on here a year or so ago. It came as one aluminum piece: comprised of the full underseat tray as well. Shoulda-coulda-woulda....

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
"so I don't get parking tickets"

You mean so you can park illegally and they don't give you a ticket :eek:? I wonder how parking would be if everyone did that :think:.

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
tail looking clean

Look in the gallery and see what I did. Stock rear fender length keeps rain off your back.

Fred H.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
"so I don't get parking tickets"

You mean so you can park illegally and they don't give you a ticket :eek:? I wonder how parking would be if everyone did that :think:.
NYC is VERY unfriendly to bikes. There is virtually no parking anywhere and bikes get knocked over all the time. Some people park on sidewalks, chain and cover the bike.
Some park on the edge of tow zones and fire hydrant zones to stay awayfrom cars and take the plate off to keep from getting a ticket.
Also, Meter maids are not allowed to uncover your bike to ticket it, but sometimes they'll reach under to glance and ticket you. Covering your Vin and removing your plate prevents you from having to pay into the Man's fund...
BUT if you leave your bike around long enough, they'll just come by and impound it. They throw it on its side on the back of a flat bed. They couldnt give less of a shit. I've seen it done. So when you get your awesome Moto back, it's beat to hell and nobody can or will do anything about it.

Hence why there are so many Moto only garages in town but you gotta pay $200/mo for a good one in manhattan

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
tidy tail job . . .

Mike,

Thanks for the compliment! I knew there was something I could do to make the stock turn signals look a little better.

Fred H.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I purchased this one a long time ago (mid-1990's) from Fast Company in NC. I don't think they do carbon fiber anymore but perhaps someone else is making something similar. It is one piece and replaces the whole tool tray and mud guard. I wanted smaller rear turn signals so I mounted a set from a Monster 900.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Damn. That's exactly what I've been looking for! Well at least I know who made one, so I can keep my eyes open. Have a hugger from them and aside from needing new clear coat, it's a very nice piece.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
123 Posts
It looks like they only make their kevlar lined jeans now. Here is their current website : Draggin' Jeans

It's too bad because I don't think anyone else made a similar carbon fiber fender eliminator although I could be wrong.

They also made carbon front and rear huggers/fenders and some other bits if I recall.

I know you wouldn't set the world on fire but I'm sure there would be a niche market for someone that made carbon pieces for the '91-'98 900/700 Supersports.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think it's worth a call to see if they still have the molds or anything. If they'd be willing to sell them, I know folks that could do the work...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
@ auggie ~ I would pay good money for one of those. Wonder if someone would do a 25 pc run on that design?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm also on the look out for a carbon under tray, few German company's used to make them (2 piece unit) however they are few and far between.
If you could get the moulds interested I'm in :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
90's 900ss tail tidy

My buddy and I have been toying with the idea of a larger production run. We made 3 to begin with and all sold, but these are by no means carbon fiber, they weigh 3 lbs. but they look and fit like a stock item.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts