Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'll be using a Sharkskinz SL style solo seat panel with a Corbin seat and bum pad along with a set of the Ducati Kaemna mini fairing panels on my bike Rex.

View attachment 976192

As far as drilling out the mounting holes on the mini fairing panels,the hole placements are clearly marked so it's not really all that big of a deal. Just need a Dremel tool and a good steel cutting bit and you're good to go.

View attachment 976194

You might be over thinking the attachment of the mini fairing panels at the rear of the panels Rex. When I bought mine I inquired about that and was informed that the 3 mounting points on the panels were considered by Ducati Kaemna to be more than enough secure connection to provide the necessary support for the panels.

What they also suggested was to add a strip of stick-on foam insulation used for sealing door frames to the back side of the panel along the upper edge at the rear of the panel to keep it from contacting the frame and scratching the paint. I marked that out with red lines in the pic below.

View attachment 976196
So the turn signal cutouts are already done when they ship the mini-halves?

Now that I see what you pointed out ... the mounting holes ... you're right ... it looks to be a much simpler task to drill them accurately.

Nice pics! Thanks! Really encouraging!!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Righteous! The first thing I thought of when I saw them were the Comstars ... Bol O'dor Hondas etc. But these Astralites actually look far more trick. They appear to be real-deal two piece rims. Do you know if they have any issues with leaking? I'd reckon a guess that they use some sort of sealant inside along the seam. The fact that they ship with bearings, disc/sprocket fittings and all new cush bushings for a little more moneycheck makes them a viable choice for owners of older bikes that are ready for wheelset rebuilds.

Nice! Thanks so much!! And Welcome Home (Vet's day).
As I recall, the Astralites were an extruded alloy rim butt welded together. Just like the Comstar.

The Astralite used alloy plates to connect the hub to the rim, just like the bigger bike Comstars. The Comstars used on some of the smaller bikes like the CB/CM 400 Hawk line used steel stamped plates to connect the allot hub to the alloy rim. ;)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,070 Posts
The wheels on my 900F had alloy spokes that were riveted and glued to the rim. I managed to get one front from the factory that had the rim offset 1:4” from center. Honda would not replace it and I actually ended up buying a new rim myself because at hi speeds it wobbled like crazy on the high speed banks at TWS.

Needless to say I hated those wheels and Honda. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,170 Posts
So the turn signal cutouts are already done when they ship the mini-halves?
Yep,what you see in my pic is what you get from Ducati Kaemna Rex. The panels have a black gel coating on them that needs to be thoroughly scuffed and primered before you paint them.
Better to use a Dremel tool rather than a drill to open the mounting holes. A small sharp steel cutting bit or even better yet a small pointed stone bit turning at high speed will open those mounting holes cleanly.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yep,what you see in my pic is what you get from Ducati Kaemna Rex. The panels have a black gel coating on them that needs to be thoroughly scuffed and primered before you paint them.
Better to use a Dremel tool rather than a drill to open the mounting holes. A small sharp steel cutting bit or even better yet a small pointed stone bit turning at high speed will open those mounting holes cleanly.
Yuh ... I reckon using a ~drill~ would frazzle the material pretty badly. I've got a couple of Dremels, and a nice selection of high speed stones so it looks like I'm all set! I haven't worked with fiberglass in many years, so getting the sides ready to paint will be a bit of a trip in the time machine. Like since the late 1980s! Now that I think of it, I've never worked with fiberglass that had been gel coated before. I'm certain there are plenty of DIY vids on Tou Yube about it.

Then comes the BIG DECISION. Do I take the chance of trying to match the 24 year old stock ~Ducati red~ ... or do I take the other chance of repainting the entire front fairing, fuel tank, and tail an entirely new color? (blue? black?). If I had my druthers I'd buy a dent/rust free tank, and fairing front section so I can retain the stock stuff in the event I ever go to sell the bike. But that choice would up the total cost of the job considerably.

Hmmm ... I do not like these kinds of decisions. Like most modifications ... them dominoes keep on falling!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well upon looking at the solo tail I have for my 91 900SS it appears that it has been modified already to more of the 888 style, Had it not been modified I would have left it alone, But now that it has been I guess I'll still leave it alone lol

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The wheels on my 900F had alloy spokes that were riveted and glued to the rim. I managed to get one front from the factory that had the rim offset 1:4” from center. Honda would not replace it and I actually ended up buying a new rim myself because at hi speeds it wobbled like crazy on the high speed banks at TWS.

Needless to say I hated those wheels and Honda. ;)
There had already been 2 or 3 TSBs from Honda about the Constar rims before they ever got the 900F over here. The rivets didn't seem to hold the runout in place very well on the heavier bikes. They at first allowed .020 of runout, then they upped it to .040 or .050, then when the warranty claims kept coming in....it ended up at .100 or more.
I knew one guy who took his rims apart (don't try this at home, etc...). He was a machinist in Akron. He put them back together with I think either 5 or 6mm socket head screws, a couple washers and a nylock nut where every rivet had been. He assembled it almost snug, trued the rim up, then snugged them down tight. He said it worked....but I never rode his bike to find out for sure.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts