Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just kicking around some different tailpiece ideas. I'm not committed to anything (or spending money) just yet ... just working with a few thoughts. I could use some help ~photoshopping~ here ... grafting a few different tails to an image of a 900CR ... y'know, just for shits-n-giggles. I fully expect some of them to be just plain wrong, but sometimes you'll never know that until you try!

My image manipulation skills really suck ... beyond simple things I'm horrible at it, and the lack of a good image program shackles any earnest efforts as well. All I have is the little Windows "Paint" program. Yea ... I know .. yuk.

Let's work with these as a foundation ... I know it's a 750SS but my 96' 900CR will look somewhat similar ... single front disc, black wheels, and so on. I left their sizes pretty large in the event that larger size will somehow assist in the grafting process. The 2nd image has a solid white background ... that may be helpful as well. Both are about as centered and straight-on as I can find.

Possible tail sections posted in subsequent postings.

Thanks TONS for any help.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok, here's one theme ... the 70s/80s Endurance bikes. I like the tail on the first Suzuki, but I'm not sure if it will work with the lines of the 900CR. Of course the seat would need more padding to be comfortable for more than ten minutes in the saddle.

One more coming up ...

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Another theme I like quite a bit. Essentially an AMA legal-sized number plate tacked on to the rear end. I'll not be using the stock Ducati red plastic tail cover (that red piece that covers the passenger seat) in any case.

There are several different locations for the number plate, I suppose it all depended on the style/shape of each bike. There are also different plate shapes (rhombus, rectangular, rounded corners, more squared off corners, etc..). I didn't include any straight on shots for grafting the plate to the 900CR since I reckon it may just be drawn on. I prefer the use of #8 or #11 ... my old racing numbers.

I've also monkeyed around with the notion of running no rear plastics at all. I haven't figured out how to make it all work without looking too junkyard doggish .. but I figure there are ways to pretty that look up a bit. Here's one, I put a little aluminum looking cover on the 2nd one. Adding a number plate might make it look a bit more finished.

That's enough to work with for now. In the end, just leaving it stock without the passenger seat cover piece may end up being what I go with .... but it helps to see what other ideas look like. This whole mess was inspired by the bike in this last image .... that tail section looks GORGEOUS .... but at $1,500+ it's definitely not THAT gorgeous!

I know there are some aftermarket tail sections specifically for the 900SS family that look similar to the ones I've posted so far ... I'll look into those as well. Some of them look pretty sharp!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... because I just cannot help myself ... here's one more ... it may be the easy way out since it appears to be an aftermarket part made just for the ~SSCR~ models .... I've no idea who makes it or where it can be purchased. The only negative is it looks a little bit looong in the ass end. Then again, it may just be the angle of the shot creating that look. Probably another $1,500 tail piece ... haahaa!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
... because I just cannot help myself ... here's one more ... it may be the easy way out since it appears to be an aftermarket part made just for the ~SSCR~ models .... I've no idea who makes it or where it can be purchased. The only negative is it looks a little bit looong in the ass end. Then again, it may just be the angle of the shot creating that look. Probably another $1,500 tail piece ... haahaa!
That is the Ducati SS Solo seat as used on the '93 900 SS SL (USA) and also on the '98 900 SS FE. Air Tech does a nice version of it.

900 SS Final Edition

1993 900 SS SL

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, right on! Thanks fellas. I'm not really sure what I want to do, to be honest. I've seen what Rock has done with his 900 and I like the results. But I've been looking for something that I can make my own, y'know? There are a lot of options out there .... Airtech has PILES of tail ends in many shapes and designs ... then again the stock and aftermarket Ducati stuff looks pretty sharp as well. Even the stock 900CR back end has it's positives.

Thanks again for the information guys.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found this from Airtech .... sure is different! $146.00 plus paint, seat, and mounting labor (~free~ = ~me~). Quoting the info page on it ....

"TZ250H3 - Yamaha TZ250 Race tail. Favorite tail section for a custom Duc. Same one used by Twin Line who built the machine at the top of the page."

See bike pic below for "Twin Line" custom. Maybe reduce the upward pitch of the seat/tail section a bit? Plenty of room for fakey number plate. Short and stumpy .... nice! I wonder how it would work out with the stock Ducati CR 1/4 fairing? Photoshop Jedis?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
"Custom Duc" are the key words here, there is some modifying and cutting/bracing of the steel that needs to be done to use that TZ tail. And I like the look but I want to (rarely) put saddle bags on one bike and a passenger on the other so this option would not work for me.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The was a BBC documentary on forgotten British bikes, think I saw it on Amazon. They had this bike and a few other of these Art Deco bikes from the era. I really liked this BMW one but I can't find of picture of it now. Here are two more Henderson J - in black and red.
Rex - getting any good tail ideas from these?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the DK .... but the Airtech has "hips" that are too wide.

REALLY like that downsized mini-fairing from DK. I've always thought it needed more rear support though ... that pointed tail of the front fairing ... not hard to fix really. Sure looks great though!!!

The whole Demon kit would be slick, but it's WAY out of my pay grade. Just the parts-only kit is over $7k without an engine, rear shock, forks, or brakes. Love that under-engine exhaust as well (sortof QD Ex-Box looking).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts