Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the call today. My Streetfighter arrived this morning. I told them I will go have a look in the afternoon, and those guys waited for me to turn up before uncrating it. It was great watching them unscrewing the crate frame and take the bike out. Bike looks stunning in white in person! Today is the first time I have seen the Streetfighter btw.

Anyway I get to pick it up tomorrow. I am getting very excited! What I want to know is, have the other Aussie's picked up theirs yet? In particular those in Melbourne. Jez? We need to go for a ride!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Yep, got mine last week. Best purchase ever! Bike is down at bikecraft getting some bits and pieces customized. Will pick it up latter today. best of luck to you with yours.

P.S- I think we have met before. Are you a friend of Victor ? He told me that his friend was going to trade his monster for a white SF.
Free this Sunday, If it's sunny lets go!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jez, I knew who you were right from the start! The first time I went to look at a Ducati, I took Victor with me. And he told me you were waiting for the SFS. Putting two and two together (and your name on the profile lol), I knew it was you!

Not sure if I can make it on Sunday mate. Have quite a bit on this weekend. Where were you thinking of riding btw? There is a general ride with some guys next weekend if you are interested. Around the Yarra Glen/Kinglake sort of area. PM me your mobile number.

Btw, this bike is insane! I love it! I was going to keep the M1100, but after just one ride, I can't see when I will be using the Monster! I didn't trade it in, so now I will have to go through the task of trying to sell it. :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here is a review I wrote on a car forum...

Where do I start. I guess first of all, for those who don't know, I picked up a Ducati Streetfighter today. I currently have a Monster 1100 that I bought a couple of months back (in May from memory).

Yesterday I saw the bike for the first time. It looks really aggressive, but isn't "pretty" like the Monster is imo. It sure looks fast though, even just standing still. So after the usual paper signing and going through the basics, we rolled the bike out of the showroom ready for me to ride off. Sitting on the bike, you realise how small it really is, and how light it is. The sound is similar to the Monster, but with less of a bark. Think 993 vs 997 with PSE. There is just that extra bark with the air-cooled engines. Ergonomically you seem to lean forward quite a bit. Not uncomfortably so, and can be adjusted by sitting with balls on the tank. I prefer to ride with a gap between the tank and my balls so I have to lean forward a bit more. Taking off, immediately I realise how much easier this is to ride than the Monster. It doesn't mind low revs unlike the Monster, and require much less riding of clutch to get moving at low speed. Part of this is probably also because the clutch engages properly, unlike in the Monster where the engagement point is right at the end of the clutch release. It is also a very smooth engine map, much more so than the Monster. And immediately I also realise how much more responsive the throttle is even at 10kmh. It's like pressing the "M" button on a M3. Nice.

I had to slow down and stop at the first set of traffic light. The brakes! Wow! It is the most powerful bike brakes I have ever experienced. Incredible! It definitely requires a squeeze job if you don't want to be thrown off the bike eveytime you brake. When the light turned green, I gave it some throttle after a gentle take off. Fark me dead, this thing has POWAH! I am obviously running the bike in and restricting myself to 6000rpm (went to 7000rpm once today - naughty!), but really, it has so much torque and power low done that I didn't once feel like I needed to go above it. Of course I haven't hit the open road yet.

I rode to the freeway to get myself to the closest twisties (Yarra Blvd). On the freeway, it has so much power that it is so nice to just drop back and then open her up! I wished I could take it to the 10,000rpm redline just to see what it was like! I have been complaining about the lack of top end power in the Monster, well, complaint no more! It is just plain awesome when you open the throttle. The sensation is probably aided by the lack of fairing, but make no mistake, this is an insanely quick bike. Nice.

Got to the twisties, went around it once just reasonably gently to strip off the silicon layer on the tyres. First impression is that it is more communicative, and turns in very quick. Steering probably not as quick as the Monster but it is more stable once in the turns. On my return run, I cranked it up a bit more. Man, this bike has so much more talent than I could ever dish out to it. It just eggs you to give it more all the time as it does everything so easily.

So in conclusion, you could say that I love this bike. Should have just waited for this in the first place. Now I have a dilemma. I don't think I will be riding the Monster much if at all! Should have traded it in, now it's too late..

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
What price did you wind up paying for these?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yesterday I begrudgingly paid $32990 for an S. What a ripoff compared to US of $19,000. With an exchange rate of .84 that would be A$22,600. Oh and the termis are only $3190!!!!!!!!!!
I notice that there are already a few piling up in the dealership. The importer/ retailer must laugh everytime he sells one though. I guess there was a party but I wasn't invited.

I will enjoy the bike nevertheless!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Yesterday I begrudgingly paid $32990 for an S. What a ripoff compared to US of $19,000. With an exchange rate of .84 that would be A$22,600. Oh and the termis are only $3190!!!!!!!!!!
I notice that there are already a few piling up in the dealership. The importer/ retailer must laugh everytime he sells one though. I guess there was a party but I wasn't invited.

I will enjoy the bike nevertheless!
You can blame your govornment for that, GST, import tax, luxury tax, Stamp duty. For instance a crappy Aussie car/bike wouldn't sell if it was the same price as a german or italian car/bike.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It would be relatively simple for someone familiar with importing into Australia to determine what the duty, taxes and landing / inbound documentation costs are.
I don't think the importer pays GST , only the purchaser, (which is then sent to the gov't by the retailer).
The importer sets the retail price based on what they think the market will stand and how greedy they are. I think this is where the problem lies. Gov't duties and taxes exist in every country.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Australia is a much smaller market than the U.S so a slightly higher price is justified but that difference is a bit steep. I still think that the buck stops at the customer with the endless papers/stamp duties. Look at the the price of a 911 in Germany or the States V's buying one in Aust. The price difference is stupid. Truth is you wouldn't buy Aussie muscle if you could buy something German or Italian for the same price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts