Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now, that is what I am looking for. Monster gauges, check, stand alone head light, check... I dig your idea of a small cluster of gauges (see here: http://trailtech.net/) these were what I was looking at.

Can you show us an up close of how you mounted up those lights? I was thinking a single beam...a monster headlight... and it sounds like it will fit. How did you treat your wiring/relays?

I am on the fence about using monster triples/bars. The bike will see LOTS of street time, but our close friends have a track day company, so it WILL see the track, but I will not be trying to win any races.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Now, that is what I am looking for. Monster gauges, check, stand alone head light, check... I dig your idea of a small cluster of gauges (see here: http://trailtech.net/) these were what I was looking at.

Can you show us an up close of how you mounted up those lights? I was thinking a single beam...a monster headlight... and it sounds like it will fit. How did you treat your wiring/relays?

I am on the fence about using monster triples/bars. The bike will see LOTS of street time, but our close friends have a track day company, so it WILL see the track, but I will not be trying to win any races.
Thanks. Nice gauges those - didn't see a price for them tho. I found similar options when I built my ss but all too pricey. Everythign on the naked ss I built had to be loooow cost cos it was just an interim little play-time project for me while I was saving up for a Sport 1000.

Cant show you the gauge mounts (biek was totalled and now gone) but it was simple. I think the blurb on my site explains... I used a monster mountign bracket for light and gauges. Then made two simple struts that bolt to monster bracket and project straight forward to bolt to the top of the buell headlights. Two flat straigh bits of thick aluminum sheet metal, with a hole at each end, then painted black, is all they were. Simple fab work. Take a close look at the big pics of the fornt on my site. Mountign a monster light wouldnt even require that. Just buy all monster brakcets (ebay) - they bolt right onto the ss' lower triple clamp.

Relays: Well, that wasnt a big job but to hide the some of the wirign stuff (relays and fuse box I think) I had to cut and extended the wiring harness by about 12-18". Then rerouted it all to place that stuff under the tank, just behind the battery. Cutting the harness sounds a bit scarey to many but if you can use a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing, and can be tidy/methodical then it's no big deal. Took about an hour or two to do a nice tidy job of it.

The big ugly harness connector on the front rh side of the bike was hidden by re-routing it to behind the front headstock, just in fornt of the airbox. Tight fit, but no problems. I rode the biek ran and shine for almost 2 years like this. Zero problems (excpet it made removign/refittign the airbox, for servicing, just a teeny bit fiddlier).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Oh, also, the coils had to be relocated too... I got some longer spark plug wires from an autoparts store so I could put the coils under the seat. I just had them tucked into the platstic storage tray/area.

Bad thing about this was that when I crashed the bike (shortly after finishing all the work) the coils went flying to god knows where.

Mind you, that was only because the bike cartwheeled down the road and slingshotted the coils out when the seat came off. In other words, losing the coils was the least of my problems.

The bike was a write off after that (shame too, cos I'd just painted it righteously black after having ridden it for almost a year with a hideous yellow/red paint scheme - yellow pic in link below).

But then a few weeks after the ins company took the wreck away I see the bike on ebay. Some dodgy dude had replaced the (crushed) tank and given it a blingy red/white/green paint job, and tried to auction it with a supposedly "clear" title and all sorts of imaginary service history. No mention of the bent forks, wheel, rotors, and frame tho. Be careful what you buy on ebay - check it out thoroughly first.

http://www.ratlantans.com/phpwebsite/index.php?module=photoalbum&PHPWS_Album_id=5&PHPWS_Photo_op=view&PHPWS_Photo_id=189

M.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for all the detailed info. I like tinkering, so I am sure I will have no problems relocating some goodies. I will certainly use your model as a spring board. I am not totally sold on the Monster triple and bars, as I can probably just as easily get risers for the same price...but we'll see. I am think I will go with a Monster headlight to keep the Ducati theme about it. I am not scared about doing any rewiring. I will most likely use quick connects and sort of make a stand alone harness that I can remove and send the bike back to stock if need be. The bike is flawless right now, the plastics are impeccable as the bike has nary 2K on it. I'd like to be able to put them back on with little a-do.

About those prices in my link. You have to click on the picture and the price list will be listed below. With tac, speedo, trip, and the dash that has indicators built in, you would be out about $165 for the whole set up. That is retail. You can most likely find a vendor that sells below retail.

I've got some old gauge pods left over from past hod rod projects, I might just mount the stock speedo, make my own indicator lights with mini LED's and use a very small shift light for my high rev needs. But that may end up more to cobble that all together than buying a ready made dash and gauge set up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks for all the detailed info. I like tinkering, so I am sure I will have no problems relocating some goodies. I will certainly use your model as a spring board. I am not totally sold on the Monster triple and bars, as I can probably just as easily get risers for the same price...but we'll see. I am think I will go with a Monster headlight to keep the Ducati theme about it. I am not scared about doing any rewiring. I will most likely use quick connects and sort of make a stand alone harness that I can remove and send the bike back to stock if need be. The bike is flawless right now, the plastics are impeccable as the bike has nary 2K on it. I'd like to be able to put them back on with little a-do.

About those prices in my link. You have to click on the picture and the price list will be listed below. With tac, speedo, trip, and the dash that has indicators built in, you would be out about $165 for the whole set up. That is retail. You can most likely find a vendor that sells below retail.

I've got some old gauge pods left over from past hod rod projects, I might just mount the stock speedo, make my own indicator lights with mini LED's and use a very small shift light for my high rev needs. But that may end up more to cobble that all together than buying a ready made dash and gauge set up.
Man thats a good deal on those gauges - I'll file that info away. Monster triples and bars, nah, you dont need those. I just used the stock clipons and was quite happy. Actually, I had soem ferracci risers on it for a while, and even they felt too upright. I reckon the injected ss' are bloody comfortable bikes - my very first ride on one was 1400miles in 2 days - no big deal at all. My SC1000 is horribly uncomfortable by comparison.

You shoudl have no problem makign the mods easilly reversible. Thats how mine was. In about 3 hrs of bodywiork and headlight swappign mine was able to be back to stock. Intended it this way for when time came to sell the thing.

1 big round monster headlight probably will cost more than the Buell lights (which work really freakign well btw). $25 for a used monster headlight bracket, then $65 new for the buell lights, plus $10 for some alloy for the mountign struts (to bolt light to bracket). The monster light will need to be accompanied by soem stock monster "ears" instead of the struts I made for the Buell lights. Chances are that those (and the Monster headlight) will cost a fair bit more than the setup I used. SS's Ive seen with 1 big round light dont; look 'right' either. Not that any streetfighterd ss ever looks 'right', but that big round light is kinda retro, and at odds with the ss' modern bodywork shapes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Got her home. Say good bye to the front plastics and red paint. I've started collecting my parts. I still need the monster headlight bracket/light/hardware/harness, bar clamps, and bar.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Very nice. If I had advice, I'd lend it. But I am taking it ALL off.
Maybe you can sell your fairing parts for good $$$ if my half naked project turns out well ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I have not decided. I am going to pull the whole cabootle off the front end. I am tempted to hold on to it. I don't know if it would hurt resale or not? Maybe a hard market to get rid of a naked 900SS. But if I paint the bike like I want to, then it may not matter. I've got some parts off that thing alreay that I need to put up for sale any way; stock front fender, carbon fiber fender elim, carbon fiber chain guard and some smaller bits.

I still need the whole head light bracket/bucket/harness etc off a monster, as well as the risers, and bars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've got everything stripped off. The monster top triple is not a direct fit (thought I would try). I will be working on getting the Buel headlight set up in the factory Monster headlight bracket. Once that is mocked up I will be redoing the harness to get rid of the excess and clean up the looks of it.

All in all, I will have all the factory goodies I took of for sale. The proceeds from that should take care of the CSL bar kit I will be installing in leu of the monster triple, risier and bar.

I'll get pics of the progress posted tonight :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is my semi naked ratbike.

04 1000ss donor bike. ARC Titanium frame, BST carbon wheels, lots of other goodies. 309 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Now that my friend is a thing of beauty. I know that if your bike turned up at my local bike hang it would turn that many heads a chiropractor could retire on the business generated!
Its a credit to you. I think i have just found a new screen saver.
Chuck, if your out there somewhere, i promise to alternate my screen savers.
Good stuff.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well...I chicken'd out. I was a day out from a track day and chose to ride in leau of having the bike down. We tore it all down. The monster top triple DID NOT fit as I thought/ was told it would. The width and diameter was correct for the forks, but it did not line up with the steering head. So, nowhere to run the bolts through to the top of the Monster headlight bracket and no where to mount my monster risers/bars. As well, the wiring harness re-route was more that I was willing to dig into. I might search for a complete front harness (bulk head connector forward) to get fitted/modded while my bike stays together.

So, I wait on a front harness to booger up, and info on wether or not a later monster top triple will line up, or if I need to go full out and get the monster top AND bottom triple. I am really going for a stock ducati gauge and headlight mounting al la Monster style.

so, for now, the coils are relocated and she is half naked as others have done.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts