Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the archives and got a little info, but mainly I'm looking to hear comments from anyone who used to (or still does) own a Hypermotard and now owns a Multi. I've put nearly 5k on my Hyper and I love the bike but I think I'm starting to miss the wind protection, range, and ability to comfortably take a passenger with me, not to mention I have no bike capable of any realistic touring. Basically, the Hyper is great for tearing up twisty roads, but so are my other three bikes, and the 1098 is much more comfortable to ride on the highway getting out to the twisties (around 25 miles for me). Since I rarely get on the bike without doing 150-300 miles, I also feel like I have to plan my rides around gas with the Hyper. I have so much invested in bling on the Hyper that I'd just keep it and get the Multi, but I'm literally jammed full in the garage with two cars and four bikes, so something has to go. I've also fallen in lust with the pearl white paint on the Multi.

If you had a Hyper and got rid of it for a Multi, do you regret it in any way? What are the "must have" accessories for the Multi? I don't plan on going crazy with it, but I'm thinking the hard cases, Sargent saddle, bigger windscreen, and handguards might be all I need. The 1100S already has a lot of carbon and the trick suspension.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,715 Posts
from the thread that you started in the Hypermotard Forum, my original reply, and to help gain some momentum:

Anybody else here dump the Hyper for a Multi? Anyone regret it? Thoughts?
Well, kind of.

First, i will agree with the others who state you have to choose the ride that suits you and your riding needs best, while remembering that our comments are just personal opinions and biased to a certain degree. I, like you, had a handful of Ducati's in my garage at one time this year and it can become overwhelming at times, so I understand where you're coming from. Given the state of affairs with the economic backdrop, layoffs, etc., I decided to become a bit more frugal and for me it started with reducing the number of motorcycles in my garage. My riding consists of mostly all canyon roads (the famed Angeles Crest Highway, 130 mile round trips) with the occasional distance ride. The Multistrada has been in my possession the longest of all of the bikes i've recently owned, I enjoyed riding the Hyper the most. After having sold a couple of bikes I decided to purchase a Monster as I felt it would make me a much better rider given the confidence it inspired in me. Hec, I've got some friends on this board who are Hyper owners, accomplished riders, and who said the Monster was just as good if not better for canyon riding. Having said that, the most logical decision for me was to sell the Hyper in its place as it no longer filled a need. I had the Multi for spirited and comfortable riding, whether a long or short distance, and the Monster to fill my sport bike wants. So ya, you might say that I sold the Hyper for a Multi, but that's not to say I didn't love the Motard, it's a fantastic motorcycle, i just didn't find the justification to keep all three 1100's.

Take care and best success with your decision. :)

ps: i just sold my Hyper 1100 S about a week ago, and as advertised in the classified section. all i can say is that if the price "isn't right" you won't have much luck selling it. remember, these are not normal times, so you can forget about what you think might be the right price, the market will dictate what is.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I sold my husky SM 610

In May this year. And bought a 08 multi 1100s. To me much better deal more protection..........and the multi will wheelie and do all the crazy stuff also. Not to mention more comfortable.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Originally got my Multistrada to supplement my 749S, a miserable commuter and tourer. I went the other way this year from an 04 and 06 Multistrada to 08 Hyper. When I had the Multi the 749S stayed in the garage nearly all the time, I got my go fast twisty fix with my track bike, so it went away. I'm doing short rides, mostly commuting and I fell in love with the Hyper on an extended demo ride from Austin to Luckenbach.

The longest one day ride I did on the Multi was 600 miles without any real discomfort. I had a Sargent seat, heated grips, DP saddle bags, and a carbon rear hugger. For the times that I didn't want to use the saddle bags (there wide) or need more room I would use an eclipse tail bag. With the plastic tank my RKA magnetic tank bad didn't work :(. About the only other thing I would have added a slightly taller windscreen.

The Multistrada until something better comes along in the Ducati line-up is the most versatile IMHO.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone comment on the Multistrada brakes? I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't have the same radial brakes that are on the Hyper, as the bikes are so similar otherwise.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Can anyone comment on the Multistrada brakes? I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't have the same radial brakes that are on the Hyper, as the bikes are so similar otherwise.
On my `04 there was at low speeds (20-30 mph) an annoying pulsing. The Ducati fix was a different banjo bolt that moved it even lower, reduced but didn't 100% eliminate. I didn't have it on the `06 or on the `08, and `09 models I've ridden.

Braking feel and power are otherwise good, though not in my opinion as good as my standard Hyper.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts

I just test rode an '09 1100S and felt that the brakes were the weakest part of the bike. Of course, I thought everything else was excellent so the brakes weren't really that bad, they just felt a little weak for what I would expect from two discs and a fairly light bike.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I have both and will keep them both. I agree the Hyper is more fun to ride but for any kind of a trip the Multi is the way to go. I would say the DP comfort seats are the biggest disappointment and I wish I had gotten the Sargent seat. I also have Oxford heated grips which I recommend highly.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My '05 setup with the handguards, heated grips, DP windscreen, comfort seat, saddlebags and top box makes an excellent do-it-all bike and probably the best bike I've owned in 40 years. It's become the go-to ride in my stable for almost any occasion, much to the dismay of the Monster and SS. And since the Multistrada was the bike that essentially gave birth to the Hypermotard it'll still do all the hooligan antics the Hyper will but with more all-day comfort so you can ride like a nut for longer and not worry about gas stops. But if you put the ca-cycleworks tank on your Hyper and a small windscreen you'll be surprised how good the Hyper can be for long rides. Hate the stock seat on it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts