Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to check to see if my impeller is busted...I removed all the bolts that seem to hold the cover on but the cover didn't budge.

I figured I check with the crew here before I go and hammer off the cover only to find it being held on by something else.

998/999 motor

Thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hope this helps.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's also got a thin layer of triple bond, so that might make it seem like something else is holding it on once you rmove the bolts. I hit mine a few times with a rubber mallet, and it gave way.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Magic? O h*ck YES!

You need to get your wife/GF to run three circles counter clockwise around the bike in her pyjamas before bringing you a beer and shouting loudly "He is the best" 5 times. After that, you´ll have a grin on your face and the cover will laugh itself off! :D

Also.. Film it and post it here.. :D

//amullo

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Magic? O h*ck YES!

You need to get your NAKED wife/GF to run three circles counter clockwise around the bike in her pyjamas before bringing you a beer and shouting loudly "He is the best" 5 times. After that, you´ll have a grin on your face and the cover will laugh itself off! :D

Also.. Film it and post it here.. :D

//amullo
I fixed it for you amullo (no imagination :D)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
HAHAHA, running nakid around the bike.... I missed you guys! :)

Thanks for the help!

I've done good while I was away. You guys will be proud of me. I've replaced a rocker AND a cam, reshimed my openers/closers, put it back together and put several hundred miles on her WITHOUT her exploding :)

BUT I was defeated by the rear wheel nut. I had my rear stand handle inserted into a 2 ft heavy azz wrench, cranked on that bad boy until I was blue in the face but I could not budge the nut. Had to ride it to the dealer so they could mount my new tires. I had to surrender an additional 90 bucks to them. :(

This overheating/running hot thing has me annoyed. The 999's don't overheat yet my bike with the same motor, does. Thermostat works, pump works (checking for sure but I know it works), fans work... WTF? Maybe the oil cooler isn't sized properly for the engine? Is there a 998 design flaw somewhere? It drives me bonkers not knowing what's causing this when all components appear to be working properly.

Take care fellas. Be careful out there! Thanks again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
On my bike the paint on the inside of the water pump housing was mostly eroded off by the water flow, this paint turns into a goo and that may have clogged some of your cooling lines, have you taken apart your cooling circuit and made sure everything is clean?

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Try adding water wetter or engine ice. Did wonders for mine. Also going to a 15-50 or 20-60W oil works to some degree, and remember to make sure the cooling system is filled correctly. Too much antifreeze reduces cooling.

But remember that the temp gauge on the older bikes where analog and not very good. I see a 10% diffrnece between what the gauge shows and what the temp is ACTUALLY like (used a IR-temp reader)

//amullo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts