Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the key that comes with the fab is steel. There is not a single locksmith in Reno who has the ability to laser cut the key. So I’ll just get a duplicate made of the red key, just in case I lose it, seems simple enough. Apparently no locksmith has the ability to duplicate it. Either no blanks or no programming code for the Ducati. Not even the local Ducati dealerships can help me. I’ve tried getting my key cut from very high end car dealerships too, no luck.

My next option just order a duplicate key straight from Ducati? They better not send me a blank key.

Any advice?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had my "stash" keys cut at Ace Hardware. Takes finding the right person there who can do it though.

I carry a stash key in case I lose my fob and want to still get into the luggage and gas tank.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure why you are having problems. I ordered a blank key from Ducati. took it, had it cut. Took the new key, my old key, and the red key, to the shop. They reprogrammed everything easy peasey. Took a few minutes. Why couldn't your dealer help you? They should be able to get a blank.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Apparently the key that comes with the fab is steel. There is not a single locksmith in Reno who has the ability to laser cut the key. So I’ll just get a duplicate made of the red key, just in case I lose it, seems simple enough. Apparently no locksmith has the ability to duplicate it. Either no blanks or no programming code for the Ducati. Not even the local Ducati dealerships can help me. I’ve tried getting my key cut from very high end car dealerships too, no luck.

My next option just order a duplicate key straight from Ducati? They better not send me a blank key.

Any advice?
I ordered an inexpensive blank from that auction site, had it cut at a locksmith, and used my red key to program the new black one. My bike is probably lower-tech than yours though. It was very easy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I lost my key fob on the road somewhere. It wasn't a problem to replace but it was expensive. You can get another matching fob and key IF you still have your red key.

Step 1 is to order a new hands-free fob from a Ducati dealer. Costs about $215 if I remember correctly. I've seen comments about how you need certain ID to get a new key but I don't believe that's the case if you're buying a fob. The fob contains a blank key so it's pretty worthless unless the key inside is cut for your bike and the fob is programmed to your bike. When I ordered the fob from my dealer the only question they asked was whether I still had my red key.

Step 2: Wait for delivery of the fob. In my case I ordered through the dealer and had it delivered there. Ask the people in the service department to recommend a shop that can copy your red key to the blank in the new fob. You're not the only one who's needed to duplicate a lost key. In my case, they recommended a vespa/moped dealer who's cut keys for them in the past.

Step 3: When you take delivery of the new fob, take your RED KEY and the fob to the shop for duplication. Going from memory, I think it cost me about $30 to burn the new key. Before you leave be sure to test the key on the fuel cap and seat release. Insert the key twice each time flipping it over in between. It should work regardless of the direction you insert it. NOTE: You won't be able to start the bike with the fob because it hasn't been programmed.

Step 4: Take your new key fob to a Ducati dealer to get it programmed to the bike. I forget what it cost to program the fob, but I pretty sure the entire cost of the new fob, key cutting and programming was about $325.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already purchased a new FAB that came with a blank key. Not a single locksmith in town has the ability to cut a steel key. My simplest solution was to just get the red key duplicated but Ive tried all the major locksmiths and I have had no luck. I can't afford to ship my red key off to another city, my bike is my only ride. Only option is for me to reorder a red key, no need to spend money on another FAB that comes with another blank.

I am surprised that the local Ducati shop aren't able to help, but again they are new, inexperienced and I simply don't trust them yet.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I cant believe no locksmith in Reno has the wheel to cut a steel key, Hell I have the machine at my shop where I cut BMW steel keys all the time, I have even cut a few spares for my 91 900SS & 91 907ie from blanks I ordered from my dealer

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Cost me $50 a few years ago to cut an Aprilia key blank.
The first 3 or 4 places did not have the right machine.
So when I found one that did, I only balked for a second at the price. Ack! Um, OK.
Keep looking.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So SOS Diagnostics in Oregon is the place, they exclusively make duplicates for Motocorsa, the Ducati dealership in Portland.

All they require is a picture of the red key and thats all they need. No need to send them your spare key. If anyone is afraid of losing their red key, I strongly suggest you take a good picture of it with your phone. Thats all you need to get it replaced.

If I send in my blank Fab, they quoted me $30.

·
Registered
406 Posts
A-Able lock and key , duplicated my Hyper key for 50 bux , key included. I plan to take my Multi key to him this summer. He does alot of work for the dealer as well as Ducati owners around the midwest. He did not nead a red key to reprogram my new key. He was able to read the transponder signal and program the new key with no issues.

A Able Lock and Key Service
(317) 356-4357

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ordered these two things to try to duplicate my key. I'll report back if I'm successful. And if you're in the US, you can borrow the programmer once I'm done with it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I received my FAB back from the locksmith, SOS Diagnostics in Canby Or. Received it back in less than a week after I shipped it. So a very quick turn time by them. $41 after shipping. I provided them a blank Fab but declined for them to program it since they needed my red key. Fits like my original key, amazing that they van duplicate the key just from a picture of my red key.

Highly recommend them, not just for a Ducati, but pretty much for any high end key or FAb.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Fits like my original key, (amazing that they van duplicate the key just from a picture of my red key.)
Highly recommend them, not just for a Ducati, but pretty much for any high end key or FAb.
(y)SOS Diannostics.

Yes SOS Chad can read the key from just a high rez picture of it then he uses the key code to
get an exact copy. He was able to give me my key code from just a picture of my key the PO
told me he had the code card but they changed his story to he misplaced it. Well approx 1 year
later I get a message from the PO that he found the card and the code was the same as the
one Chad got from the picture.

·
Registered
129 Posts
(y)SOS Diannostics.

Yes SOS Chad can read the key from just a high rez picture of it then he uses the key code to
get an exact copy. He was able to give me my key code from just a picture of my key the PO
told me he had the code card but they changed his story to he misplaced it. Well approx 1 year
later I get a message from the PO that he found the card and the code was the same as the
one Chad got from the picture.
What year/model bike?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts