Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Just bought a pair of Dainese leather delta pants. Great fit, but man, hell of a time getting my boots over them. Is there a secret? There is so much padding around the calf that my other leathers never had. I thought that it was me, my wife tried them too and couldn't even zip her boot up???

Any other owners have any problems with theirs? It almost seems as though they were made to use with low tops! I am not going to go there. My wife and I use Sidi boots, are the dainese boots wider at the ankle? This is what I am wondering. My sidi's are the super adjustable vertigo corsa air's.

Thanks for any input

Mark

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mark,
I've got the same pants and I have the older Sidi Vertebra boots. I also have big calves so I found myself in the same predicament as you at first. What I do is when I get into the boot, I pull up on the pant leg at the knee and slider and then zip the boot closed. For whatever reason this seems to work for me. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the Sidi Vertigo boots and Dainese Delta pants. There is way too much padding and the boot have very small calf space (even when its fully expanded). I just pull the pants up a bit when the boots go on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
you could also purchase a pair of Dainese Torque-In or Axial race boots.
then you could wear the pants over the boots which is the other way to wear them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I sure appreciate the feedback. I guess I am not going too nuts. Kind of funny, I mean $500 pants from the best maker (arguably) and too much padding. Having just had them on for the last 3 hours, they do feel ok after a while. I may have a leather seamstress go in there and modify the padding.

Funny, I googled these pants and find an abnormally high rate of used pairs on the market. Maybe they will address this issue with the next model year pants?

Thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Have someone make you a zipper spacer like Vanson sells for fat guys jackets. Just have them tapper it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am going to have a seamstress remove some of the padding. I really don't want the pant over the boots. (At least on the track) I think this would be as cheap as having a "spacer zipper" added any way.

Thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I think I am going to have a seamstress remove some of the padding. I really don't want the pant over the boots. (At least on the track) I think this would be as cheap as having a "spacer zipper" added any way.

Thanks again,

Mark
Dainese developed under the pant type boots so they can stabilize the foot in case the tib/fib breaks. The pant leg attaches to the boot at the stiff padded knee/shin guard with velcro to reduce twisting in case of a complete break. This reduces nerve and circulatory damage (among other things). The over the boot design was created for track use.

On the street the over the boot pant does not allow water into your boot.

-M

·
Registered
630 Posts
I really don't want the pant over the boots. (At least on the track)
I know he doesn't ride a Ducati but a certain Valentino Rossi wears his pant legs over his boots and no one makes fun of him. (George does also.)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pick up my altered pants from the seamstress early next week. I will let you all know how they work then. I can only imagine that the racers that wear their pants over their boots have one of two things different than what is the "norm" for us mere mortals. One, either they have special boots without the factory installed shin armor, or the leathers don't have the Dainese padding and shin guards installed. Although redundancy is a good thing, not if you can't get your pants and boots on at the same time. I am about to go out for a ride in my Levis while my leather pants are being altered.

I think time will tell with these High quality pants. Either larger less padded boots will be made available, or the quantity of padding and thickness of shin guards on these types of pants will be lessened.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts