Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I’m going to be looking at, and quite possibly picking up a 2013 848SF with ~7K on the clock this weekend. It looks to be well taken care of, and I believe that it has been serviced by the local Ducati dealer. The dealership is of course encouraging me to include an extended warranty, which normally I’m pretty quick to eschew.

This will be my 3rd Duc, so I’m not at all unfamiliar with their quirks, and I know my way around them from a maintenance perspective. That said, my 748 & M900 are both 20 years old so this would be my first “modern” Ducati. Are there any known bugaboos that can crop up on these bikes that might make me regret a decision to pass on the warranty?

Appreciate any insight; thanks!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi folks,

I’m going to be looking at, and quite possibly picking up a 2013 848SF with ~7K on the clock this weekend. It looks to be well taken care of, and I believe that it has been serviced by the local Ducati dealer. The dealership is of course encouraging me to include an extended warranty, which normally I’m pretty quick to eschew.

This will be my 3rd Duc, so I’m not at all unfamiliar with their quirks, and I know my way around them from a maintenance perspective. That said, my 748 & M900 are both 20 years old so this would be my first “modern” Ducati. Are there any known bugaboos that can crop up on these bikes that might make me regret a decision to pass on the warranty?

I don’t think there is any glaring issues with these bikes. It depends on how much peace of mind you want. I haven’t had any issues with my 2010 SF S at all. My friends who have the SF848 never had any problems either. I’d be curious if anyone here had a high mileage one, though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
A have an 848 Superbike - so, obviously, not the SF... but a very similar bike in many ways.

Rolled over 50,000 kms recently (so about 31,000 miles), and it's been pretty reliable. I have had issues with stators, but I think they are heat-related (I have a thread going about that here), and the SF has a better cooling system than the SB, so I think you're safe there.

Just off the road at the moment waiting for a new TPS unit - it's worn away one of the metallic strips after that many throttle twists - but otherwise it's just been maintenance items for me so far.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi folks,

I have a 2012 848SF 16,000 km the only issue had was years ago and wouldn’t crank at all with battery power. I never used the red switch “off” to turn it off. I’d just use the key to turn off. The dealership said to just use the red switch everytime to turn off while keeping it in the closed position while I’m ready to ride it again. No problems since and that was in 2013.
I need to say it’s been THE most reliable bike never mind Ducati (I’ve had 5 Ducs) I’ve ever had. Still the same battery! Works like a charm 100% everytime knock on wood.
Just had 16,000km service to and no faults either.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a 2012 848SF 16,000 km the only issue had was years ago and wouldn’t crank at all with battery power. I never used the red switch “off” to turn it off. I’d just use the key to turn off. The dealership said to just use the red switch everytime to turn off while keeping it in the closed position while I’m ready to ride it again. No problems since and that was in 2013.
I need to say it’s been THE most reliable bike never mind Ducati (I’ve had 5 Ducs) I’ve ever had. Still the same battery! Works like a charm 100% everytime knock on wood.
Just had 16,000km service to and no faults either.
I've never heard this about the red kill switch... I always just use the key.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I've never heard this about the red kill switch... I always just use the key.

I also don’t think that the kill switch thing had anything to do with your problem.

·
Registered
372 Posts
well It happened and using the kill switch worked approx 14,000 Kms later......

I could be slightly mistaken on exactly what the issue was as it was so long ago? It could of been a dead battery and the kill switch ensures all power is cut when turned off. Same original battery works like a charm as well!

Anyways you gears heads can smash heads about that.

It’s not really an issue but every winter when it starts to warm up, when the bike is stored indoors, the lower right hand side hose to the lower radiator piddles coolant. This is due to the ambient temp going from -20 C to +10 C in a few weeks and that contracts and expands the hose causing the very slow drip. Might need to replace hose down the line due to yearly retightening. But really it’s a non issue. And if you really don’t have a real winter you won’t need to worry about it either.

When I get it road ready at the Ducati dealership they just tighten the hose clamp and top up the coolant. Good to go!

I had a 2011 Yamaha R1 far less reliable.

Really fun controllable power. Kinda like the Subaru WRX STI of the Ducati world. No “toss you around like a ragged doll” power like the SFS but just a real fun well handling bike with more than enough power and with looks that kill!!

Actually I think the SF frame is more suited to the 848 motor than the 1098. 1098 looks stuffed in there a bit not to mention handling defencencies.

If you haven’t already it would move really fun reliable acquisition.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Actually I think the SF frame is more suited to the 848 motor than the 1098. 1098 looks stuffed in there a bit not to mention handling defencencies.
Engines are the same on the outside, just the cylinder bore change inside. So what's your point?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Engines are the same on the outside, just the cylinder bore change inside. So what's your point?

Here, in addition the engine is heaving out of parts of the frame with ducts and parts spewing over the extremities of the Frame. The handling is a fraction of the 848, the 1098 bike turns much slower and is a massive chore at low RPM unlike the 848 motor. Don’t get me wrong I still like the SFS and I’d still get one in good nick but the 848 is a better overall kit. It’s like Ducati said to itself “wow the 1098 is a beast but if we put our 848 motor in that frame it could be an even better bike” and to me it is. Yes I’ve ridden a SFS with all the upgraded parts and these are my findings.

I edited this to make it less offensive to SFS owners.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Read it again and maybe it’ll register bub.

But here is clearification for the slow ones... the engine is heaving out of parts of the frame with ducts and parts spewing over the extremities of the Frame. The handling is a fraction of the 848, the 1098 bike turns much slower and is a massive chore at low RPM unlike the 848 motor. Don’t get me wrong I still like the SFS and I’d still get one in good nick but the 848 is a better overall kit. It’s like Ducati said to itself “wow the 1098 is a beast but if we put our 848 motor in that frame it could be an even better bike” and to me it is. Yes I’ve ridden a SFS with all the upgraded parts and these are my findings.
I liked this quote, for the 'veracity,' not the content. I'm a slow one, it seems. I prefer the 1098.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I liked this quote, for the 'veracity,' not the content. I'm a slow one, it seems. I prefer the 1098.
Fare enough different strokes for different folks! I don’t know why some of you are getting your leathers in a knot on an opinion. 1098 are still among the coolest bikes ever designed! By time I was ready afford one only the 848 was even around in a showroom.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Here, in addition the engine is heaving out of parts of the frame with ducts and parts spewing over the extremities of the Frame.
I don't mind your opinion on handling, but i don't understand why you think the look is so different and the engine "looks stuffed in there" more. The engines and bikes are almost identical visually except for the dry or wet clutch.

Btw the 1098 slower handling is easy to fix. Raise the forks 2 lines (lower the front), raise the rear link 1/4 of an inch, and they will feel the same.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't mind your opinion on handling, but i don't understand why you think the look is so different and the engine "looks stuffed in there" more. The engines and bikes are almost identical visually except for the dry or wet clutch.

Btw the 1098 slower handling is easy to fix. Raise the forks 2 lines (lower the front), raise the rear link 1/4 of an inch, and they will feel the same.
I’m going by the SFS I rode. The fixes very likely do what you say I’m not gonna dispute that. I’m talking stock forms not playing with this and that to make it better.

That’s just my opinion regarding the motor as it sits in there vs the 848. I’m not as familiar with a specific part names but we can agree to disagree.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’m going by the SFS I rode. The fixes very likely do what you say I’m not gonna dispute that. I’m talking stock forms not playing with this and that to make it better.

That’s just my opinion regarding the motor as it sits in there vs the 848. I’m not as familiar with a specific part names but we can agree to disagree.

They are the same engine, externally, the only difference is the clutch cover.

To your previous comment regarding shutting it down with the kill switch, if your dealer had told you to do the chicken dance before hitting the ignition, just because the bike starts, would that make him right?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
This is nice! The discussion and disagreements. Its nice to see some activity on this forum at all. This bike brings out the worst and best in us! Everyone who purchased one feels a certain way. IMHO, the 1098SFS will enter classic life pretty soon.
I rode mine this weekend, after a 4-5 month layoff. SAVAGE ! and thats why I keep it!

Reactions: jack999s and RobH

·
Registered
372 Posts
They are the same engine, externally, the only difference is the clutch cover.

To your previous comment regarding shutting it down with the kill switch, if your dealer had told you to do the chicken dance before hitting the ignition, just because the bike starts, would that make him right?

That served as the Solution to the problem. I’ll leave the chicken dancing to you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is nice! The discussion and disagreements. Its nice to see some activity on this forum at all. This bike brings out the worst and best in us! Everyone who purchased one feels a certain way. IMHO, the 1098SFS will enter classic life pretty soon.
I rode mine this weekend, after a 4-5 month layoff. SAVAGE ! and thats why I keep it!
I agree, frankly the SF forum is boring most of the time! I can agree the SFS is going to be a classic folk lore ride.

I’m happy with my little 848!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha; well that escalated quickly!

Thanks for the helpful information guys; I am happy to say that I'm the proud new owner of a bouncing baby Streetfighter. I picked her up Friday after work, along with a set of Rizoma MA009 bars and a DP windscreen, which I promptly installed. The bars *really* improved the comfort level.

Anyway, cheers! You all know what they look like, but this one is mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
That served as the Solution to the problem. I’ll leave the chicken dancing to you.
The way I read it, you had a fault which was causing a no start issue. At time of repair your dealer gave you this advice.

A non reoccurrence of the fault isn't validation of his advice. You need to look at a larger sample base, bikes that are shutdown with the killswitch and bikes that are not. If you find the fault common to those being shutdown by other means, that provides validation to his claim.

Dealers talk a lot. I'm sure a lot of them just like thee sound of their own voice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts