Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why not just buy the bike and ride south you say? Well because I am not allowed to buy and own a Bimota Tesi in Canada (At least not to ride on the road). Lets not go there because the smoke is already starting to come out of my ears.

So is there any way I can get ins. for a bike I would own, ride and keep in the US?

Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
Why not just buy the bike and ride south you say? Well because I am not allowed to buy and own a Bimota Tesi in Canada (At least not to ride on the road). Lets not go there because the smoke is already starting to come out of my ears.

So is there any way I can get ins. for a bike I would own, ride and keep in the US?

Thanks
Would it be registered in the U.S.? If so just insure it here?

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts
If you have a US address for registration and title then I would think you could purchase insurance here. I know of two couples, one who lives in Sweden, the other from Finland, who keep Class A RVs in the states and use them every year. I assume they are insured.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've seen it done yes but I'm pretty sure the people had vacation homes they used for a address in the states. They also had US drivers license. They look at you crazy and ask questions if you drive a US plated bike across with Canadian license. They seem to look harder at bikes than cars because of ease of stealing them it seams.

Edit: Where is my brain forgot...... I tried to get my Ex-girlfriend insured on my bikes so she could take them back and forth across the border but they won't put her on unless she got a US drivers license.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I tried this in order to get a Moto Guzzi Daytona on the road. No dice unless you can produce a US address. I tried to use my sister's US address in AZ but they said that wasn't enough. I had to prove residency.

I don't know how the snow-birds do it, but they do.....

·
Registered
570 Posts
You'd need a US "garaging location." A significant portion of the rate is based on the location of the vehicle. I don't know that you'd need to prove residence in the US, but you might find a carrier that doesn't require it. I'd contact an agent in the states somewhere near the border and see if they have experience with this type of thing.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
u-build it in canada.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts