Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I flipped the 09 Hyper 1100s and rode it all the way down at around 80kmh. My crushed foot and gravel rash is testament to the result of cosmetic damage to the bike. The left footpeg was lost and the gear lever bent.

Immediately after the incident I bent the gear lever out started the bike and rode home, with the engine sounding a little "Bubbly".

Now I get it home the bike cranks and refuses to start. All dash lights appear normal. I removed plugs and can see no spark and cannot smell excess fuel.

Where would I first look first to solve this. My only thought is that oil has been pumped into areas it shouldnt. There is no external indication of damage or oil leaks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I bought a crashed 09 that had oil dripping from the cat pipe connection,so I figured it had lay down for a bit, but as the dash had been smashed off I had to wait for a new dash to come from Italy. Meantime, I pulled the plugs and checked it turned over OK and when the new dash was fitted it fired no worries. After the first ride, I realised it had never even been heat cycled, so it was probably crashed on the first tank of fuel as I'd suspected from the overall condition of the bike. 6,000 ks later all's fine.

At least it wasn't some knucklehead turning in front of you this time.....

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
How much juice are you getting from the battery? When my stocker started to go bad it had enough power to get the dash on and crank but not enough to turn over. Could the bubbly sound have been caused by bent exhaust components? Wish there was someway to know exactly what it sounded like.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No visibile damage to main components.
Side stand was ground down, but it would not even turn over if the ss switch was faulty.
Battery charged turning over vigorously.
Normally instant start.
Is there some kind of auto cutoff in the bike thatv kills ignition.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
isn't the engine just flooded perhaps?

When I crashed my bike, the first time I tried to start it I had to crank it way more than usual, now it just starts like before. Maybe your plugs died? Replacing them is not that expensive.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ran all the checks on sensors using VDST - all OK
Removing plugs I can see no spark or smell any fuel when cranking the motor.
It is as if all fuel and ignition has been cut.
No warning lights or DTC warnings.

·
Registered
402 Posts
One of my sons bought a CBR1000 that was crashed and it had an auto cutout gizmo that had to be re-set. Not heard of that on Ducatis but that means nothin. Would it have started at all after the crash if that was the case?????????

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The VDST tool on the pc reports a "Tip-Over" status as being enabled.
Now the same tool reports the Ïgnition" status as being enabled and disabled via the kill switch. Other items are listed as N/A

This implies there is a tip-over sensor that is present and has been triggered, however I can find no reference to such a thing in the Hypermotard manuals.

Anyone help ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was actually going to suggest you check the TOS, im not sure where it is on the hyper but in my experience they are usually under the seat, thought with the long tank it may be under that too. Does the VDST not allow you to reset/disable?

Have you checked all fuses. Maybe put a call into Ducati Sydney, i know the service dept is open tomorrow.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought a wrecked Hyper, and had no idea if it would run or not.
After I fixed it all up and tried to start it, I had the exact same problem as you.
I also noticed that the fuel pump wasn't activating when I turned the key on. (Maybe have a listen for that on yours).

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to fix it. I had a mechanic friend come over to my place to try and fix it. He couldn't figure it out, so we loaded it on a trailer and he took it to his shop. When we unloaded it there, we tried to start it again, and it fired right up. Started great every time since then.

Maybe it was a tip-over sensor that was stuck and the bumpy trailer ride jiggled it free?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Have you tried resetting all errors? I can do it with Ducatidiag(same thing as VDST) and reset all error codes, maybe that clears it?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes reset all errors and checked all fuses.
Fuel pump whirs up.
I can test coils and injectors and even hear them clicking.

When cranking there is no indication of spark or injectors being activated on the graph of vdsts. yes maybe time to ring the service dept.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts