Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The connector is on the main wiring harness that connects to the fuel pump. It is bad and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have any idea what the part number might be?

The Ducati parts manual just shows the whole harness and not the connector part numbers.

By the way the crappy previously attempted repair was preformed at the service department of my local Ducati dealer. Looks like their idea for a fix was mangle the wires and dump in some super glue.

My bike has had this intermittent issue with the fuel pump since day one. I've been stranded many times due to the issue and the bike was in the shop for a month awaiting a new fuel pump at one point.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Go to a automotive parts house or an automotive dealership. They will have it. Take pics of it or take it in with you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try a local autozone and a checker however all they have are 1 row 4 position connectors with the wires (pigtails) already attached. I obviously don't just want to butt splice something in.

·
Registered
475 Posts
LOL. I should have been more specific. Go to a REAL parts house. Preferably one that deals with AC Delco or Motorcraft. Maybe even NAPA. A GM or Ford dealer should have one.

The ones like Autozone, Advance Auto Parts and Checkers aren't real parts houses. They sell air fresheners, plastic hubcaps, candy and the occasional car part.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The connector is on the main wiring harness that connects to the fuel pump. It is bad and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have any idea what the part number might be?

The Ducati parts manual just shows the whole harness and not the connector part numbers.

By the way the crappy previously attempted repair was preformed at the service department of my local Ducati dealer. Looks like their idea for a fix was mangle the wires and dump in some super glue.

My bike has had this intermittent issue with the fuel pump since day one. I've been stranded many times due to the issue and the bike was in the shop for a month awaiting a new fuel pump at one point.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=amp+weather+pack

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Gee whizzo their fix is a bit of a dogs breakfast. Yellow Blur has linked a good page. Those connectors are the AMP Superseal and if you do a search here buying these connectors has come up before. The bits are very cheap (a couple 'o bucks) but the crimper required is a bit expensive ($AUD600 here in Australia). I've never tried to crimp one together so I don't know if you need their special device or not. Or there could be an auto electrician near you who has the crimp tool and could do it for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yellow - Perfect, thank you very much.

I had looked through the Digi-Key catalog (pdf) but with nothing to narrow the search other than AMP and Connector I wasn't able to find anything.

rodericb, fortunately I have the crimpers and military certification (although expired) to use them. :D I used to construct engine harnesses for then Garrett (now HP) 731 TFE turbofan & 331 TPE turboprop engines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In looking for a place to order I noticed that the contacts that Yellow listed are too large. The wire insulation diameter as measured on mine are 1.6mm. Those contacts are for 3.3mm.

The contacts I'm going to order are part number 282110-1.

Also the link provided goes to some Delphi parts not AMP.

I ended up ordering from http://www.onlinecomponents.com/ they had everything in stock and good prices although the $35min order means that even though I need 1 I now have 16 on the way.

·
Registered
724 Posts
In looking for a place to order I noticed that the contacts that Yellow listed are too large. The wire insulation diameter as measured on mine are 1.6mm. Those contacts are for 3.3mm.

The contacts I'm going to order are part number 282110-1.

Also the link provided goes to some Delphi parts not AMP.

I ended up ordering from http://www.onlinecomponents.com/ they had everything in stock and good prices although the $35min order means that even though I need 1 I now have 16 on the way.
Sorry about the link, although it does show the weather pack, just not Tyco’s Superseal 1,5 series I guess. I believe the contacts you need are the 282465-1, the housing is 282088-1 both being for the Superseal 1,5 series. Don’t forget the seal, 281934-2 Yellow.

When I was looking for these, minimum order was something like 16,000 each of the contacts, so feel good about your purchase. No, I didn’t purchase..

This issue was recently covered here (don’t know the link) which had some options of where to purchase (where I got the link -- didn’t look real close at it, just passed it on -- oops!!!). I went direct to the manufacture and begged!! Ha! I had downloaded their catalog when I was figuring out what I needed a few months back, but couldn't find it on their site today.. must be going blind...

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry about the link, although it does show the weather pack, just not Tyco’s Superseal 1,5 series I guess. I believe the contacts you need are the 282465-1, the housing is 282088-1 both being for the Superseal 1,5 series. Don’t forget the seal, 281934-2 Yellow.
Those contacts are the pins, I need the sockets. The pins go into the other housing that is part of the fuel pump assembly.

For the minimum order amount I ended up with enough parts to build 16 connectors. I even ordered an extra socket for each one just in case a crimp is preformed poorly. ;)

Here is my order details:

Thank you for ordering from Onlinecomponents.com
Here is a summary of your order.

281934-2
Manufacturer: AMP / TYCO
Stock Location: In Stock
Description: Superseal 1.5 Series
Quantity: 64
Unit Price: $0.065
Ext. Price: $4.160

282088-1
Quantity: 16
Unit Price: $1.46
Ext. Price: $23.36

282110-1
Quantity: 75
Unit Price: $0.106
Ext. Price: $7.950

ORDER SUBTOTAL: $35.47

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sorry to give you the wrong info…thought I had the correct end in my second attempt..…. Glad you got it figured out. Not bad prices really.

I had gotten both ends of the connector to make an extension cord just to get the tank out of the way while tuning. Also had to make fuel line quick disconnects to make it all work.

Apologize for the mistake…. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts