Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Anyone got any ideas of the value of a 1993 Ducati 888 SP5?
All genuine, no after market parts.

20,000kms all serviced accordingly.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
I´d say that it´s not possible to say, since the bike is such a rare beast to come across.. It´ll be worth what it would seem to be worth in both the sellers and buyers eyes.

Sorry, but the SP5 is just TOO rare..

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
You might want to check with the lads on the yahoo 851/888 group. They would be a ready audience for such a question.

jules_1972 said:
I have #13 and might look to sell.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
are you in perth?
i've seen a few for sale in oz, apparently there were only 2 imported which means some have been imported privately or the same bikes have been for sale a few times, hmmm.....
from the ads i've seen (i've not seen one for sale in person)they seem to be asking between 24- 28k.
they are quite rare and in my opinion VERY desirable, the only downside seems to be a lack of knowledge about the bike. most seem to dismiss them as too old, which is a shame.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
jules_1972 said:
Hi,
Anyone got any ideas of the value of a 1993 Ducati 888 SP5?
All genuine, no after market parts.

20,000kms all serviced accordingly.

Thanks.
Alex Ortner of CycleCat, Robb Report, etc. etc. fame says US$30,000. Other voices inquire as to the cleanliness and general condition of the bike. Good service records are, of course, important, but also does it show normal wear for a bike with 20,000km on the clock? Rock chips in the paint, any damage (not necessarily from a crash or a drop, but even belt buckle scratches or scuffs in the paint)?

Pics would help.

If you figure $30K USD for a pristine, mint bike all shiny and new-looking, and then knock off a few for normal wear...probably US$25K give or take would be reasonable.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Another opinion...

Vicki Smith, list mistress of the DOL mailing list and Ducatista extraordinairre, suggests that US$30K would be more for a new-in-the-crate or raised-on-a-pedestal-in-the-foyer-and-worshiped condition bike. For a 12K-mile bike, probably more like $20,000-$22,000 USD. Of course, what Anders said is also true. For a bike as rare as an SP5, the real value is whatever you can find someone to pay for it, and you can in good conscience accept.

If you can't bear to part with it for less than US$25,000, then that's the price. You may or may not find a buyer at that price...but you may also be okay with "ah...I'll just put 5,000 more kilometers on it and then sell it for $20K."

Good luck,

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was looking at the photo of your bike, very nice.
My opinion would be 20K-23K US, more if you just want to sit back and wait for that one buyer willing to pay more to surface.
A price close to 30K would be for a #1 rated example. Typically #1 rated bikes do not have the mileage you have on the bike due to normal ware. I think the price you could get in another 3-5 years would be significantly higher.

A number 1 would be appearance as new – It has ceased to be a motorcycle and has become an object of art. Very few of these.

A number 2 extremely well maintained original showing minimal wear. Looks like a 1, until you put them side by side.

A number 3 from 20 foot away looks perfect, but has some ware.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I like your 998 better but, it's red so its not as fast as my yellow one. :)

Prep it for storage and revisit it in another 10 years or so... it should be worth millions by then :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.