Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, currently tossing up the below bikes to join my RSV4 and 748 SP in the garage:

* 821 Hyperstrada
* 821 SP
* 1100 Evo SP
* 1100 Evo
* 1290 SDR

I'm looking for a bike that's more comfortable than the V4 for all day hills rides, something more fun around town, something with light touring ability, and something decent for a pillion.

I'm yet to ride the 821 SP or an 1100 but absolutely loved the regular 939 'motard, 821 'strada and the 1290. The 1290 feels like the perfect bike, though I'm unsure about its pillion accom. as its up fairly high, and I wonder if it's a little too powerful for the street...I actually have more fun in the hills on my 748 than I do my RSV4 as I can actually use more than one gear without worry of jail time. Not much chance of that with the 'duke!

I was all set on the 821 SP as my bike of choice, but the threads and videos surrounding its reliability have scared me off to a degree. The 1100 would be a good choice, though by the time I pop suspension on it it'd be the same price as a 1290 SDR with demo km's on it and 2 years of warranty.

1100 Evo SP's are still commanding good money here, and from what I've read I'd still want to throw cartridges at it.

It's a bit of a brain vs heart thing right now for me as I love the Hypers but all seem a little too compromised either by reliability or single focus. This all leads to the 1290 being the smartest choice on paper...so I'm wondering, who has made the move and were you happy with the decision?

Everyone else, please feel free to chime in with your thoughts on the other choices even if you're not an SDR owner :)

Thanks!

Dane

ps thought I'd throw up a few pics of the SDR's I rode because everyone likes pics :)

Attachments

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
992 Posts
To me, the 1290 Duke is going to be more similar to what you've already got in your stable compared to the Hyper. The best thing to do is ride each of the models you're considering as it will become clear what you like and don't like. That's my best advice.

I love the Hypers but all seem a little too compromised either by reliability or single focus.
Assuming a well cared for bike, don't confuse the reliability issues with the 1st gen models. Assuming you've lurked in this section a while and or have been researching, the primary problem threads are related to the 2nd gens that seem plagued with electrical issues. If you like the 2nd gens best, I would be hesitant to buy one without having a good warranty based upon the history in this section since they're inception.

BTW, if you like the more streetfighter feel but still want a Ducati, check out the 1198 Streetfighter- it's a better match to the 1290 Duke than the Hyper is.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I've got an 1100 EVO SP and a SDGT. They are vastly different bikes. It really depends on what you want out of the bikes. On Sunday, I spent the first half of the day on the SD and second half on the Hyper. It was a great day.

The Hyper is incredible at tight roads. It does fine on sweepers too, but absolutely eats up really tight roads. The SD eats sweepers for lunch and asks for seconds. It is ok on the tight stuff, but you feel the weight (~100 lb heavier).

The Hyper is a neutral seating position that is comfy all day... as long as you aren't wanting to cruise the interstate a bunch. Some hate the stock seat. I actually like it. I think the weight of the rider greatly impacts this opinion (small guys are ok, big guys are not). The SD is a little more leaned over, but not particularly aggressive. It is fine for all day including full days of blasting interstate.

The Hyper 1100 is simple. It is 2 valve, air/oil cooled, no electronics. It doesn't make crazy power, but it makes more than enough for its weight. The torque is excellent, too. The SD is complex with 4 valve, water cooled, and damn near every electronic ever made slapped on it. It does make stupid power and even more stupid torque. I call mine the juggernaut. The electronics work well.

The Hyper couldn't be my only bike because I want something to tour on. With that being said, neither could an SDR.

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
Dane, I reckon your missus won't be happy sitting on any of the bikes you're looking at unless she has a cast iron arse! From what we've talked about the two-up riding seems important to you and honestly, of all the bikes you're looking at the fat pillion seat of the 1100 Hypers would be best (though not good I imagine). I raised it before, I think a 1200 Monster should be in your mix. More than capable of messing around in the hills and taking you on a decent run with someone on the back. Has a better seat than a V4 Tuono, 1098 Streetfighter or the big KTM.

Food for thought mate.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me, the 1290 Duke is going to be more similar to what you've already got in your stable compared to the Hyper. The best thing to do is ride each of the models you're considering as it will become clear what you like and don't like. That's my best advice.
That was my thought as well. The Hyper is a proper departure from my current bikes, and that excited me.

Assuming a well cared for bike, don't confuse the reliability issues with the 1st gen models. Assuming you've lurked in this section a while and or have been researching, the primary problem threads are related to the 2nd gens that seem plagued with electrical issues. If you like the 2nd gens best, I would be hesitant to buy one without having a good warranty based upon the history in this section since they're inception.
I have indeed been researching like a mad man, it's in my nature to devour as much information as possible prior to making a purchase. Must be my OCD at work :)

That research unfortunately showed up a lot of issues people had been experiencing with the 2nd Gen Hypers, the ones I'd originally been convinced I'd buy. This through me a serious curve ball and is what put the SDR and 1100's into the picture as I wasn't considering them previously. I think the water cooled versions seem to tick the boxes the most out of all my choices, but this reliability issue is making 13/14 bikes a scary proposition, and a new 939 SP in warranty a little pricey. I also don't want to have my bike off the road all the time and don't have time to be dropping in for repairs and diagnosis constantly.

An 1100 seems by far to be the safer choice as far as reliability goes.

BTW, if you like the more streetfighter feel but still want a Ducati, check out the 1198 Streetfighter- it's a better match to the 1290 Duke than the Hyper is.
I've actually ridden a 1098 SF before, was going to buy one before I bought the V4. LOVED it, but the pillion accom. is a bit poor with the high pegs and heat.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got an 1100 EVO SP and a SDGT. They are vastly different bikes. It really depends on what you want out of the bikes. On Sunday, I spent the first half of the day on the SD and second half on the Hyper. It was a great day.

The Hyper is incredible at tight roads. It does fine on sweepers too, but absolutely eats up really tight roads. The SD eats sweepers for lunch and asks for seconds. It is ok on the tight stuff, but you feel the weight (~100 lb heavier).

The Hyper is a neutral seating position that is comfy all day... as long as you aren't wanting to cruise the interstate a bunch. Some hate the stock seat. I actually like it. I think the weight of the rider greatly impacts this opinion (small guys are ok, big guys are not). The SD is a little more leaned over, but not particularly aggressive. It is fine for all day including full days of blasting interstate.

The Hyper 1100 is simple. It is 2 valve, air/oil cooled, no electronics. It doesn't make crazy power, but it makes more than enough for its weight. The torque is excellent, too. The SD is complex with 4 valve, water cooled, and damn near every electronic ever made slapped on it. It does make stupid power and even more stupid torque. I call mine the juggernaut. The electronics work well.

The Hyper couldn't be my only bike because I want something to tour on. With that being said, neither could an SDR.
Thanks very much for your input mate, exactly what I was hoping for as a comparison!

The roads I ride are reasonably tight and would really suit the motard I think. The problem with fast sweepers is that they;re fast sweepers! Though I love them, my licence doesn't, so if the Hyper slows me down a bit on those it's no bad thing.

I know the bikes are two different categories, and was wondering if the crossover was close enough to consider them almost in the same category. From what you're saying, and from my riding both, they're not. I found the Hyper 939 more fun than the SDR for a few reasons:

1. It was completely alien to me
2. I could use more throttle more of the time

The SDR is amazing and an almost faultless bike, but then extreme power can only be enjoyed in such small doses that I wonder if I'll be in the same boat as the V4 on the road...

It'd be nice if the SDGT pillion pegs fit onto the SDR, but from what I've seen they don't. Have you had pillions on the back of either bike?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dane, I reckon your missus won't be happy sitting on any of the bikes you're looking at unless she has a cast iron arse! From what we've talked about the two-up riding seems important to you and honestly, of all the bikes you're looking at the fat pillion seat of the 1100 Hypers would be best (though not good I imagine). I raised it before, I think a 1200 Monster should be in your mix. More than capable of messing around in the hills and taking you on a decent run with someone on the back. Has a better seat than a V4 Tuono, 1098 Streetfighter or the big KTM.

Food for thought mate.
I have been thinking about our conversation mate, and spent last night eyeballing Monster 1200R's...a 1200S does seem like really good value and probably not too bad in the pillion seating department. I do prefer the aesthetics of the old air cooled gen, but it's not make or break for me. I also think the 1200R looks much better in person than in pics, really blew me away when I saw it at Ducati here in Melbourne.

My saving grace for choosing all of these impractical pillion bikes is that she's only experienced the RSV4, and anything is better than that! :p

A mate of mine has an 1100, I really need to just go pop us both on to that and see what the comfort is like. I think the sloping stock seat may be a nut-crusher, but I'm looking at a few with the DP seats on so they look to provide a bit more of a pillion 'ledge'.

The Hyperstrada is a little tight for both of us, but I figure most things that I want will be. The wife was happy with it though, I think mostly as the pillion pegs were nice and low and therefore less intimidating.

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
...spent last night eyeballing Monster 1200R's...
My saving grace for choosing all of these impractical pillion bikes is that she's only experienced the RSV4, and anything is better than that! :p
What she doesn't know won't hurt her, that kind of thing? lol you're cruel.

That's quite the price premium you're looking at for the 1200R though...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What she doesn't know won't hurt her, that kind of thing? lol you're cruel.

That's quite the price premium you're looking at for the 1200R though...
Hahaha, something like that... :p

It is a premium, but most S' are high teens and there's an R with the Termi's for 24k ride away at the moment...hmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had rented an 821 Hyper a few years back, loved it and was considering an 821 SP. Have loved the SP's since the 1100's and wanted something less insane than the 1098 Streetfighter, yet with more all-around'ness of a 250-500cc SuperMoto.

The SDR is a lot of bike and you can't use most of it on the street. It didn't handle as well as I had hoped but the torque and rideability were awesome. Motor didn't have as much character as I had hoped for (but that's subjective). Did a write up here:

https://chancemoto.com/2016/07/05/2016-ktm-1290-super-duke-r-review/

Then, I rode the base Hyper 939 and knew immediately it was the bike I was after. Razor sharp handling and loads more torque (over the 821 I had rented, it was really noticeable). I could only imagine what the SP would be like so I went and bought one. Write up on that here:

https://chancemoto.com/2017/05/15/2016-ducati-hypermotard-939-sp-review/

From a reliability POV, it's been solid with only a warped rotor issue (which may have been caused by a wet track day) and bike is running great with over 10,000 well-ridden kms on it.

Hope that helps with your decision.

Reactions: Austen

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had rented an 821 Hyper a few years back, loved it and was considering an 821 SP. Have loved the SP's since the 1100's and wanted something less insane than the 1098 Streetfighter, yet with more all-around'ness of a 250-500cc SuperMoto.

The SDR is a lot of bike and you can't use most of it on the street. It didn't handle as well as I had hoped but the torque and rideability were awesome. Motor didn't have as much character as I had hoped for (but that's subjective). Did a write up here:

https://chancemoto.com/2016/07/05/2016-ktm-1290-super-duke-r-review/

Then, I rode the base Hyper 939 and knew immediately it was the bike I was after. Razor sharp handling and loads more torque (over the 821 I had rented, it was really noticeable). I could only imagine what the SP would be like so I went and bought one. Write up on that here:

https://chancemoto.com/2017/05/15/2016-ducati-hypermotard-939-sp-review/

From a reliability POV, it's been solid with only a warped rotor issue (which may have been caused by a wet track day) and bike is running great with over 10,000 well-ridden kms on it.

Hope that helps with your decision.
That's super helpful, thank you very much mate.

I'd read your review on the SDR a while back and found it really informative. My opinions were similar, though as mine was an accompanied urban ride I didn't get a good chance to test out the handling. I did find the WP suspension extremely plush though, and were great at taking the edge of harsh roads. Their initial compression control seemed excellent.

The motor was super smooth for a twin, and power available everywhere. Perhaps a little wasted though, and not as characterful as the V4 or a Ducati twin. But definitely had a massive giggle factor when you opened up the taps!

I just read the 939 review as well, and it's reading stuff like that that makes me want to throw caution to the wind and go with the heart! It just seems to do everything I want it for...

Reactions: DJKham

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kays aren't high if it's been looked after, plus it's just about local for you lol
Not having to do the RWC would be nice!

I just worry about how easy I'[d sell it with 50k+ kms on it...

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
As for passenger comfort, the Hyper 1100 is far from ideal. I've had passengers on it for short trips (<30 minutes). It is rather cramped with 2 people on it. Keep in mind my perspective is from having always used my Multistrada for carrying passengers.

I've not had any passengers on the SDGT yet. I've only had it a little over a month. My understanding is the stock seats have routinely been used by terrorist organizations for torturing captured prisoners. I'm still waiting on my touring seat to show up, so I can't say if it fixes the problem. As for the passenger pegs, I believe you are correct in that they are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It seems like you want a Hyper as it's 4 out of 5 bikes you've listed. I recently bought a 796, at a great deal, but I question if I should have tried the 1100 SP as they're highly talked about. I guess if I never try I won't know what I'm missing out on.

My previous bike was an R6 and I can say riding 2 up is MUCH BETTER on the Hyper. We just did a 4 hour, round trip, ride in the extreme heat (104+ at times) and was fine. The wind does beat you up on the freeway though, so I may buy a wind screen for the longer freeway rides.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As for passenger comfort, the Hyper 1100 is far from ideal. I've had passengers on it for short trips (<30 minutes). It is rather cramped with 2 people on it. Keep in mind my perspective is from having always used my Multistrada for carrying passengers.

I've not had any passengers on the SDGT yet. I've only had it a little over a month. My understanding is the stock seats have routinely been used by terrorist organizations for torturing captured prisoners. I'm still waiting on my touring seat to show up, so I can't say if it fixes the problem. As for the passenger pegs, I believe you are correct in that they are not interchangeable.
It's a shame as the stock pillion on the SDR is actually reasonably large compared with sports bikes, and I'm sure with the comfort seat option it'd probably be more than reasonable for a few hours in the saddle every now and then.

I'm imagining the Hyper will be a little cramped, especially as I'm so tall. Not sure if it has much less room than the 2nd gen though?

It seems like you want a Hyper as it's 4 out of 5 bikes you've listed. I recently bought a 796, at a great deal, but I question if I should have tried the 1100 SP as they're highly talked about. I guess if I never try I won't know what I'm missing out on.

My previous bike was an R6 and I can say riding 2 up is MUCH BETTER on the Hyper. We just did a 4 hour, round trip, ride in the extreme heat (104+ at times) and was fine. The wind does beat you up on the freeway though, so I may buy a wind screen for the longer freeway rides.
:) You're right, I do indeed want a Hyper! I loved the SDR, but the Hyper makes me want to act like a hooligan and I like that. It's the more fun urban warrior and tight twisties bike I think. Just the right amount of power too.

The 796 is supposed to be awesome as well, though the price gap to the 1100 is minimal here for some reason.

Thanks for sharing your experience on utilising the Hyper for pillions, that's great feedback. I don't think we'd ever really do more than 4 hours in the saddle together, and I imagine it would be much better than the Ape. Does the rear section have integral grab rails?

·
Registered
89 Posts
You won't regret the extra money spent on the 939 SP. I've had mine for almost a year now. Zero issues. I ride tight local twisties, big mountain sweepers, and have taken it to Laguna Seca, Chuckwalla, and Willow Springs. It's also my daily commuter. It does it all really well. Yes the seat is tall but that doesn't bother me, and that's with a 30" inseem. Even with after market rearsets it needs every bit of that ground clearance if you're going to take it to the track. I'm actually more comfortable on the Panigale for long trips. But around town the Hyper is a no brainer for comfort. I take both bikes to the track because it's every bit as fun as the Panigale and very capable. If I ever wear this one out I am definitely buying another one.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
I spent a year looking for an urban bike to replace my trusty 'ole VFR800. I wasn't able to ride a Husqvarna, but got to test a bunch of stuff. KTM did not impress and I never imagined owning a Ducati. However, I kept coming back to the 939SP and got a deal on a demo bike with carbon goodies thrown in. Negotiating on a Euro bike is a perk of living in a state full of Harley riders.

What convinced me was testing a BMW S1000R, which has a crazy fun engine. However, the ergos and parts from BMW were disappointing for the price. The Hyper fit straight out of the box, required very few mods, and is easy to work on. It's also smartly engineered. One downside is that it's really hard for motorists to see because it's narrow. The gold forks help, but I've had an unusual ratio of close calls. Even though I wear high viz gear, I learned to abuse the trigger switch that flashes the brights. The chassis and suspension are a dream and remind me a little of the Daytona 675--smooth and sexy. The only time I do not have fun on the Hyper is when it's super windy at freeway speeds. That can get exhausting and a bit scary on tiny dusty roads.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts