Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm taking my wheels to get powder coated, 18 year old stock powder coat ain't looking so hot.

Well I took the bearings and stuff out. (pic)

But every ducati dealership I have called have no clue where to get these pieces. I found the bearings local, and the speed sensor spacer I can reuse. But the metal/rubber o-ring no one has a clue where to get it. Can anyone help me.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cool, you’re welcome. I noticed on Ducati’s own website that they only go back to 2001 but those guys to 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
This may be obvious and forgive me if it is, but virtually all 998 (model year 2002) chassis parts are common with the 996.

·
Registered
819 Posts
This may be obvious and forgive me if it is, but virtually all 998 (model year 2002) chassis parts are common with the 996.
Many for sure, vast majority x-ver with 748-916, but wheels are one of the items they swapped regularly for different sub-models (S, SPS, R, etc.), so still best to dig through the online OEM for year and model-specific P/N first.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Glad to see you found the right part.

As far as the wheel restoration, is the OEM paint (champagne?) hard to source?

Looking to have the same done to mine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Mine were stock silver-ish. I didn't know what I wanted, was never a fan of gold but damnnnnnnnnn I love them on the bike now. I might actual ride this bike now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts

A few years back some of us were looking for the Dark Grey Metallic used on the 996 SPS...

It took a while but we found the PPG paint codes used for the Superbike lineup, including the Champagne used for the wheels, frame, headlamp surround, etc. I know I have it somewhere, will give a look and respond with a link.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Mine were stock silver-ish. I didn't know what I wanted, was never a fan of gold but damnnnnnnnnn I love them on the bike now. I might actual ride this bike now.
What powder color did you use??

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
A few years back some of us were looking for the Dark Grey Metallic used on the 996 SPS...

It took a while but we found the PPG paint codes used for the Superbike lineup, including the Champagne used for the wheels, frame, headlamp surround, etc. I know I have it somewhere, will give a look and respond with a link.
Let us know Prophet - I'd be interested in those paint codes

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
Okay gang, here is what I have been able to dig out of my archives (attached). Included are both the PPG codes we were able to find, as well as the Envirobase High Performance and Deletion Progress equivalents. The latter was from an 1137 page document so I grabbed the pages that included only the Ducati paint codes to save you some time.

Regardless, from the PPG codes, the Champagne used on the later model 916 series is one of two, we were never able to determine exactly which, the Grigio Steel Ducati (PPG 223.647) or Grigio Metallic (PPG 0011). The Dark Grey Metallic that was used on the 996 SPS wheels, as best as we were able to figure out, was the Nero Metallic (PPG 0009).

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
I did them in gold. I post a pic of the front tires.
What "gold" color did you use..Inca, Sunburst, Sunflower....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So getting the bike detailed and getting all the carbon fiber cleaned up. I found one of the foot pegs was broke, and I can't find this style and wanted to ask if you guys knew how to find new ones.

Also is there a better rubber shift cover thing I can buy that won't mark the top of my boots in black rubber.

I have tried to google this stuff but any type of name I search I haven't found anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
..The Dark Grey Metallic that was used on the 996 SPS wheels, as best as we were able to figure out, was the Nero Metallic (PPG 0009)...
not saying youre wrong, mind you, but what makes you believe the SPS' five-spoke wheel color is diff than the '00 onwards 996 standard, S and R bikes?

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
not saying youre wrong, mind you, but what makes you believe the SPS' five-spoke wheel color is diff than the '00 onwards 996 standard, S and R bikes?
I have an '02 R and the 5 spoke Marchesini's are Champagne, as is the trellis... Take a look at that pic that I posted earlier in this thread... (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/6921101-post9.html). We were never able to determine exactly which MY ('98-'00) or which region got the dark grey metallic 5 spokes, but some did. If I were a betting man, I would say that it was specific to '98 or '99, because by '00, the trellis's were all Champagne, and every pic I have ever seen of those wheels is on a bike with the Bronze/Gold trellis.

Here's another...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts