Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at a lot of flyscreens to take the edge off the windblast at 70+. Windscreens aren't an option, as I don't like the look. And most everything I've read about flyscreens suggests they're windblast reduction is negligable, so if you get one, do it more for looks.

Do any of you GT riders own the Ducati fairing, and if so, does it help with windblast? If "yes" to above, could you give me your height and inseam length so I could better determine if it might work for me as well?

·
Registered
714 Posts
easy there fella,thats a lot of information your asking for. yes I got my ducati screen from barfer and it serves its purpose,it its just enough wind off my chest,but still plenty on the head. plus I think its the only one that looks good.Im 5ft 7 32-33 inseam

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I also have the Ducati screen, and it does help with wind and cold on your chest and neck, However the noise and wind buffeting sp? is bad. I now have to wear ear plugs as the noise and thumping pressure want to suck out my brains. I am 5-10 31 inseam.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mouse action and EIGHTfortyEIGHT - thanks for your input. I'm 6' with a 34" inseam so I guess it's still questionable whether it'd work for me. Not sure I wanna risk the atmospheric lobotomy EfE describes either. . .:confused:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have this one available, me 6' 1", 34" inseam. Takes the wind off your torso up to pec height with clean air at the helmet.

It is fly screen width so shoulders are still in the air stream.

PM me if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yeah, like Mouse Action said I had one of these and didn't think it did all that much. My reference point is a daily commute on highway 280, where the average speed of all traffic is between 80-90 mph.

I'm 5'10" and at those speeds it is only useful if you put your chin on the tank. It takes the edge off, but it really doesn't do much.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
luvinit

Hi cesare57
I love mine, it gives a "finished" look to the front end and keeps crud off the instruments. and it looks "cafe" cool....
I don't have any negs , I don't even "get" the noise thing..not even close???? I'm like ???WTF? mine is great and yes; some wind deflection definitely
I think it's one of the cooler things on my bike IMHO

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I bought my GT 1000 the Ducati screen was part of the deal. In an effort to reduce the turbulence I tried all sorts of mods to the height and rake, as far as the fittings allowed but without success. A smaller, sports fairing didn't impress so, with nothing to lose, I cut the Ducati screen down by 2-3" to remove the forward curved lip at the top which logic would suggest was causing the problem. Now there is little or no turbulence at any speed and as a bonus I think it looks better too. There is still some noise which is mostly because my helmet - a Shoei Mutlitec - is a 'lift up' full face design and I have to use fitted earplugs. The end result, though, is a very comfortable ride with little noise or turbulence and excellent wind and weather protection.

To cut down the screen, fit it to the bike and attach a length of string to the two top screen fasteners, such that a pencil or scriber fitted into the loop of the string and pulled tight reaches 2-3" below the top of the screen. Keeping the string taught swing the scriber in an arc from one edge to the other to give a smooth curve. Cut the waste away roughly with a hacksaw and smooth off the rough edges with a sanding disc in a handheld powertool, blending into the untouched sides of the screen. Finish with a small fine file. Very easy to do and less than half an hour from start to finish.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought the full size ducati fly screen and I can confirm that it is the worse thing I have ever, ever bought. I am 5' 10" and after fiddling around with it to get it properly fitted, I took it down the dual carriageway and as soon as I went over 50mph, the turbulence hitting my head was unbearable. I started to get earache, and the noise was horrendous. I removed at immediately. Did Ducati ever test this thing in a wind tunnel? I can only imagine that a few mechanics farted in the direction of the fly-screen under test, and then it was given the thumbs up. Sorry for the harsh criticism, but it was an utter waste of money.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
barfer,corygt,Britbiker,jooz - just to clarify, the first pic below is what I'm curious about, not the second pic. Is this what you guys are talking about?

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
i have the second screen pictured. it seems to cut the wind only when my chin is on the tank. plus its ugly as hell. and since its mounted to the forks, it effects the handling. its coming off!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have the second screen pictured. it seems to cut the wind only when my chin is on the tank. plus its ugly as hell. and since its mounted to the forks, it effects the handling. its coming off!
I haven't heard of anyone here who's been happy with the Ducati windscreen, and several who think it's downright dangerous. Maybe that's one reason why they discontinued the GT Touring model for '10?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone here who's been happy with the Ducati windscreen, and several who think it's downright dangerous. Maybe that's one reason why they discontinued the GT Touring model for '10?
i do like my chrome fenders. they are staying. the luggage rack is already gone and the screen is coming off once I receive the spacers in the mail from spacerjim.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i do like my chrome fenders. they are staying. the luggage rack is already gone and the screen is coming off once I receive the spacers in the mail from spacerjim.
yeah goldberm, the chrome fenders are sweet! Really, the GT Touring is a good buy considering all the goodies you get for just $500 more than a regular GT. Just too bad the windscreen doesn't seem to work well.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I've got the little one in the attached photo , I really like it. Like I said before it doesn't really do anything but keep crud off the gauges and clean up the looks, maybe a little wind turbulence reduction.
adds a nice subtle touch....

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
photo

here is a side photo of My GT

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have the DP alum fairing on my GT. I'm fairly comfortable up to around 90mph (on appropriate roads!). Im around 5'9" with a 29" inseam, but my last 3 bikes have been 'naked' machines rather than fully faired bikes so perhaps I am accustomed to the windblast by now?

·
Registered
714 Posts
yea cesare I got the first one,I painted mine red {so the drapes match the carpet}.I did plan on stripping the paint and polishing out the aluminum,any way I think its a height thing with this little screen,I find I can scouch back on the seat I can kinda go lower with my top half and get into the buffer zone when going warp speed,otherwize it justs holds my easy pass ...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
guys - thanks for the additional info, and thanks cory for posting a pic of how it actually looks on the bike. Seeing that, I think if I did get one it would just be for the looks, as I don't see it offering $235 worth of wind protection:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts