Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I tried reaching out to "DRILL" (IL riders group) but haven't heard back from them. I'm new here and noticed that most good stores and riders with input are far away. I'm looking for people to ride with who share the Ducati passion and some helpful hints for upgrades and maintenance.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am across the lake about 1.25 hours away in Michigan. Much better roads here. Take the scenic route (US 12 through Indiana Dunes). This is wine country if you are into that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
while drill is a nice little site the volume is just too low. for chicago people try chicagolandsportbikes.com. It's not ducati specific but it will answer most of your questions regarding anything in this area.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello All,
I read some of the older threads but didn't see recent respones. Anyone near Fox river, western suburbs. I will check out that local sport rider site.

JOHNP are you near Randall Rd & 64?

Michigan sure sounds good but I don't know if I could sit on my bike too long to explore wine country. I might not make it back...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm in Lincoln Square/Ravenswood area of Chicago. Just moved here from San Diego (why I'm still trying to figure out). Anyway, I brought my 748 and M900 Monster, left the 900SS Supersport at a friends in SD for when I go back to visit (often I hope).

Been really disappointed (shocked really) with the poor quality of the roads and surfaces around here, so I'm not sure how much riding I'll do here. We'll see of the F'n weather ever gets better!

Anyway, I do all my own maintenance and know Ducs well. Give me a shout anytime.

Adam

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Adam,
Yes I was disappointed as well when I moved here. I have to ride 2 hours away for nice windy rides. You must leave the downtown area or those Pot holes will destroy your bike. Let me know if you ride thru the western suburbs some time, it's a bit nicer and safer...

The 900 SS would probably do better here than the 748. Anway I'll pm you as well to talk about maintenance offline...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are there ever any local Ducati meet up spots?

In San Diego we would meet up every 3rd Thursday at a good Italian Cafe in the Gas Lamp District downtown, over 150 Ducs every time. The Police get a bit nervous there though with ANY gathering of people that large (especially on motorcycles). But it was fun. and amazing see and hear....

Just wondering if there was a culture like that here?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't been here too long myself but haven't heard of any such gatherings. Although it does sound fun...

This area is nothing like SD, sure you have noticed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, I live in the city and love my DUC I have a 749. I live in Lakeview near the bar Sheffields, actually my bike is outside there a lot in the Summer. There is a great shop, the owner is a Ducati guy, his name is Michael the shop is GO Cycle Sport, he has AWESOME high end Ducati parts,IE RIZOMA. You can find me there every now and again as well. PM we should go riding! There are good roads, I am born and raised IL kid, and have lived in Northern Cali its not the same but can make it close.

Nice Meeting Everyone,

KC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I tried reaching out to "DRILL" (IL riders group) but haven't heard back from them. I'm new here and noticed that most good stores and riders with input are far away. I'm looking for people to ride with who share the Ducati passion and some helpful hints for upgrades and maintenance.

Regards,
Sam
Sam,

I am in the northern suburbs. I find the best roads are in Southern Wisconsin and out west towards you. Weather permitting I try to get out every weekend.....let me know if you want to get out!

Matt

·
Registered
165 Posts
I moved here from Michigan and still ride back there when I can. I have a SS1000 that isn't too bad on a longer ride. My 1098 is really the most uncomfortable think I can imagine for long rides but its so much fun on the curvy SW MI roads (the wine trail).

Once it warms up, try the Full Moon Cafe on route 41 (I think). Get there around 9 on Saturdays and there's always a bunch of people around. Meet, greet, go riding. There's other gatherings. Last summer it was Portillos on IL-83 (Kingery Hwy) near North Ave. Lot of bikes here on Wednesday nights, mostly Japanese bikes but some Ducs are always around. Mostly just a gathering to kick the tires and look at everyone elses ride.

Try DRILL, the message board isn't very active during the winter but check when it's warm. Look at the informal rides section or planned rides. Good group of people to ride with.

Watch out for the potholes and hope to see you out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The best gathering that i know of is the Italian Brunch in Elkhorn Wi, about 50 mi north of the Illinois border. Its mainly the DRILL and WADE guys and anyone else who owns a european bike. Its the 2nd Saturday of every month. Theres a group that usually meets at the full moon cafe on 41 that leaves around 9 or 10. I just shoot up rt 12. its starts around 11am. after eating at the elk restaurant and talking bikes for a while, the guys ride the back roads of south western Wi. Im not a big fan of group rides but i try to make several of these events. 30-40 bikes show up on average.

Elk Restaurant Inc 13 W Walworth St , Elkhorn, WI

[/IMG]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey, Lucian748s...

I swear I saw your bike on Lincoln Ave this past weekend near the Home Depot and Kedzie? If not, someone has your same bike around here!

It didn't look fun navigating the pot holes on that road!

Adam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone up for a ride / Meet in Michigan????

Some fellow euro car enthusiasts at work and i (a ducatist) are putting together a cars bikes and coffee event in Kalamazoo, MI

It may be a ride for you chicagoland guys but, hey, if your down, should be a good time

here is the thread with all the details, feel free to email eric (email on thread) or me at [email protected]

if you want to plan a ride afterwards let me know, we can scope some country roads or go out to the lakeshore.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=61792

thanks guys hop to see you there

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,872 Posts
Italian Moto Brunch is tomorrow. I might stop at Full Moon on my way up, but it will be quick and I will be gone by 9am or shortly after to make the next spot--Kenosha Starbucks on 50 at 94. From there we take the back way to Elkhorn (which is NOT 50 miles N of the border). Its 12 miles N of Lake Geneva, and even from Kenosha its only about 40 miles via hwy50 to hwy12 (and more west than north).

Here's a short video clip from last month:
http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/plus790/?action=view&current=ohlins005.flv
Not bad for early April, but turnout naturally improves with the weather.

Hope to see some new faces. Look for this:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts