Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like another recent poster, my GT too got nailed by a nail leaving me with a flat back tire. I found a local shop who still carries Phantom Sportcomps (I guess discontinued) at a decent price though some have argued for the Perelli rosso corsa or MIichelin Pilot Powers. Any comments?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
The phantoms are pretty terrible. I would go with something else. Ducati only used them for the "look" as I understand it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it bad form to change the bike tire to, say, a Michellin Pilot while keeping the front the Phantom? I'd hate to have to buy 2 new tires as the front seems in pretty good shape.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Do not even consider buying another Pirelli Phantom. They are absolutely shit. Seriously. It's a 1980s tyre resurrected to look cool. I'm told that they had to put the original rear tyre on the front and then retro produce a 180 rear.

Your tyres are the one thing that keeps you on the road under acceleration, braking and turning. No performance or safety compromise that big is worth those "trendy" looks.

Throw them away and don't look back.

...and don't take my word for it. Ask any pro tyre fitter.

As for mixing and matching, don't do it with these plastic disasters. The Phantom is not really pairable with any tyre in profile or grip (or lack of grip). Pirelli Diablo 2s are a good choice, or Pilot Pures.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Like another recent poster, my GT too got nailed by a nail leaving me with a flat back tire. I found a local shop who still carries Phantom Sportcomps (I guess discontinued) at a decent price though some have argued for the Perelli rosso corsa or MIichelin Pilot Powers. Any comments?
I have the Rosso Corsas and love them. Great grip on the street and track. I would never buy the phantoms again.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Any bad words? More like many bad words. Diablo Rosso2 if you want to stay with Pirellis. Michelin Pilot Pures are great also.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is it bad form to change the bike tire to, say, a Michellin Pilot while keeping the front the Phantom? I'd hate to have to buy 2 new tires as the front seems in pretty good shape.
I did the same thing and at the first hard avoidance move with a Phantom on the front, it low sided. I would seriously recommend changing both.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I did the same thing and at the first hard avoidance move with a Phantom on the front, it low sided. I would seriously recommend changing both.
Yep......my front Phantom let me down similarly on a cold day after stopping for lunch. Loved the look (remember it well) but sticks only a bit better that what I remembered from the 80's and only when conditions are just right. I'm running Perelli Angels currently and am well pleased for my "spirited" road use. Considering a set of M-Pures next go round....or Bridgstone...or......something. BUT, on the street, you gotta have a front tire that sticks ALL the time! Phantoms ain't it. Sorry to say cause the look almost gives me flashbacks!!

·
Unleaded caffeine please...
149 Posts
. Considering a set of M-Pures next go round....or Bridgstone...or......something. BUT, on the street, you gotta have a front tire that sticks ALL the time! Phantoms ain't it.
Yeaup, just went through the same decision... Michelin Power Pures or the new Bridgestone S20's. Went with the S20's since I have the BT003's on my track bike (very happy with those) and S20's are a step down from them but a step up from the BT-16's. So has the stickiness, quick warm up, and supposed mileage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just went down yesterday with phantom. No grip on the front while braking on wet ground!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoah! Sorry to hear that, htamoto68!
Hope your life, limbs and grey matter are all in good standing! (and the bike of course!)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks Im fine. Bike needs a paint job now and some parts...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 12 of 12 Posts