Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas!

Im at work today and all I can think about is getting my new 1199S on saturday. The anxiety is killing me and it feels like saturday is a 1000 light years away from now. So I just want to talk anything 1199 related so I can focus on something else.

Here are a few pointers.

What has been you experience with the 1199? bad, good, awesome, crappy.

How does it compare to other bikes? Superbikes, Sf, other brands.

What are the service intervals and how much do they cost?

What are dyno figures? Ive heard they are pretty low for a 195hp machine.

Anybody ever tracked the thing?

These are just ideas of what to talk about, you can post anything you like.

Feel free to say it sucks too I wont get :mad: since I know everybodys opinion is valid.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
As you know i love mine minus the aggravating starter problem and slow delivery of the new starter. Haven't been in the seat for almost 2 weeks now :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you know i love mine minus the aggravating starter problem and slow delivery of the new starter. Haven't been in the seat for almost 2 weeks now :(

What happened with the starter? Is this an issue with the 1199 I dont know about?

PS. thanks to you and a few others I am getting into this mess :D

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
It just died one day randomly im not sure if its common or not had a great 150mile ride got back in town ate lunch and the starter fizzled out. I did get some goodies for it today mirror block off plates and bar end signals and crg bar end mirrors should look super sexy without the antlers.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just died one day randomly im not sure if its common or not had a great 150mile ride got back in town ate lunch and the starter fizzled out. I did get some goodies for it today mirror block off plates and bar end signals and crg bar end mirrors should look super sexy without the antlers.
Hopefully its not an issue running on all bikes. I took off my 2 inch CRG bar end mirrors off the SF and wonder if they would work well on the 1199. I think they might be too small. Ill keep it stock for a while I guess.

·
Registered
938 Posts
1600+ miles. Good so far. Nothing to really complain about. Handling and power characteristics are the high points.

Like a majorly updated 916. Allot more torque than the '08 CBR1000RR and '10 S1000RR (much lower redline) which I used to own. Handling is a wonderful balance of light and stable. Seating position is more comfortable than the 916. Bar width takes a bit of getting used to.

First service was at 623 miles. I strongly suggest changing the oil at 50-100 miles to get the leftover metal from machining out of the engine. Changed mine at 75 miles and it was filthy. Be prepared for sticker shock on oil filters. I pay $36 before tax. Cost for first service was $180 (2 hours labor). I changed my own oil and filter at 623 mi, because my dealer couldn't give me a service appointment immediately, so my first service was cheaper than what most folks pay.

Next service is 7,500 miles and is a light service (no valve adjustment).

Mine (w/Termi slip ons) did 179 hp., about 89 ft. lbs of torque, in a quickie run with the speed sensor still connected. For comparison, an 1198 with an Akra 2-1-2 exhaust did 159 hp and 90 ft. lbs. on the same dyno The speed sensor needs to be disconnected and the traction control turned off to properly dyno the 1199. The ECU richens the bike up with speed to compensate for the ram air which it doesn't get on the dyno. The traction control interprets the spinning of the rear wheel with the front stationary as loss of traction and cuts power.

I should know more about true power, as my bike should be back tomorrow from getting its ECU remapped, http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/136681-panigale-remapping-ecu.html I expect more power and better rideability. In 195hi mode, the fueling is a bit raw.

Best of luck with your new 1199.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1600+ miles. Good so far. Nothing to really complain about. Handling and power characteristics are the high points.

Like a majorly updated 916. Allot more torque than the '08 CBR1000RR and '10 S1000RR (much lower redline) which I used to own. Handling is a wonderful balance of light and stable. Seating position is more comfortable than the 916. Bar width takes a bit of getting used to.

First service was at 623 miles. I strongly suggest changing the oil at 50-100 miles to get the leftover metal from machining out of the engine. Changed mine at 75 miles and it was filthy. Be prepared for sticker shock on oil filters. I pay $36 before tax. Cost for first service was $180 (2 hours labor). I changed my own oil and filter at 623 mi, because my dealer couldn't give me a service appointment immediately, so my first service was cheaper than what most folks pay.

Next service is 7,500 miles and is a light service (no valve adjustment).

Mine (w/Termi slip ons) did 179 hp., about 89 ft. lbs of torque, in a quickie run with the speed sensor still connected. For comparison, an 1198 with an Akra 2-1-2 exhaust did 159 hp and 90 ft. lbs. on the same dyno The speed sensor needs to be disconnected and the traction control turned off to properly dyno the 1199. The ECU richens the bike up with speed to compensate for the ram air which it doesn't get on the dyno. The traction control interprets the spinning of the rear wheel with the front stationary as loss of traction and cuts power.

I should know more about true power, as my bike should be back tomorrow from getting its ECU remapped, http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/136681-panigale-remapping-ecu.html I expect more power and better rideability. In 195hi mode, the fueling is a bit raw.

Best of luck with your new 1199.
Great info right here! thanks a lot!

I cant wait to get it. 179hp is quite a lot. I dont even need 150 to the wheel cant imagine anything upwards of 170. Do the electronics work seemlessly?

The servicing I see is not that bad then and the 7500 miles I am assuming should be similar to the 600 mile service. I wonder if the valve adjustment would be more expensive since they have to work with a chain instead of belts.

Once again thanks for your post, very informational.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Congrats on the bike!

In case you don't have it, go to this link you can get the owner's manual and parts manual download.

Road Racing World dynoed it's S at 169 RWHP.

First valve check is 15k miles.

At code school this weekend was passed multiple times by a very good rider on a tricolore. spectacular looking bike from all angles.

Chris

Hey fellas!

Im at work today and all I can think about is getting my new 1199S on saturday. The anxiety is killing me and it feels like saturday is a 1000 light years away from now. So I just want to talk anything 1199 related so I can focus on something else.

Here are a few pointers.

Anybody ever tracked the thing?

These are just ideas of what to talk about, you can post anything you like.

Feel free to say it sucks too I wont get :mad: since I know everybodys opinion is valid.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on the bike!

In case you don't have it, go to this link you can get the owner's manual and parts manual download.

Road Racing World dynoed it's S at 169 RWHP.

First valve check is 15k miles.

At code school this weekend was passed multiple times by a very good rider on a tricolore. spectacular looking bike from all angles.

Chris
Thanks Chris. I heard your ape is on the showroom floor now. That was another bike I was looking for but my dream was the panigale all along so I pulled the extra cash for it. Hope you are enjoying you pani as well.

169whp is a TON of HP I think I've never been on something as fast so we will see about that.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
what time you going to npr tomorrow? I might ride up, I need to put miles on the bike, about 170 miles from me. I was at Code superbike school all last weekend at barber so haven't gotten much seat time.

FYI, I just put on the tankslapper.biz clear film on the tank for protection. Went on well.
Lemme know I might swing up there.

I miss the ape, a great bike but I had to have the pani so it had to go.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I heard your ape is on the showroom floor now. That was another bike I was looking for but my dream was the panigale all along so I pulled the extra cash for it. Hope you are enjoying you pani as well.

169whp is a TON of HP I think I've never been on something as fast so we will see about that.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what time you going to npr tomorrow? I might ride up, I need to put miles on the bike, about 170 miles from me. I was at Code superbike school all last weekend at barber so haven't gotten much seat time.

FYI, I just put on the tankslapper.biz clear film on the tank for protection. Went on well.
Lemme know I might swing up there.

I miss the ape, a great bike but I had to have the pani so it had to go.

Chris
With Paul's ADD I might have to get there at 10am so I can get going when the shop closes. So I am assuming ill be there until 4 or so. Come up and rack up some more miles and if you would like to we could hit N. GA as well sunday morning. I was planning a little loop around so I can try the bike.

Heard you were cheating on your pani at barber :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Hey Luis,

I'll cya up there tomorrow. It's about 150 mile ride from where I live (Columbus)

With Paul's ADD I might have to get there at 10am so I can get going when the shop closes. So I am assuming ill be there until 4 or so. Come up and rack up some more miles and if you would like to we could hit N. GA as well sunday morning. I was planning a little loop around so I can try the bike.

Heard you were cheating on your pani at barber :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts