Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like a tablespoon the first time and half that the second. No additional drips after clean up, so nothing is leaking when cold. Any ideas as to what to check first? Thanks in advance, Nic

·
Registered
409 Posts
Need more info. Leaking where? Have you stripped the fairing off and looked for signs of the leak? If it were me, I'd begin tracing the dripping to a location and then you can better determine the culprit and a fix. Might be something as easy as a loose hose clamp.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
It'll also help if you list your bike details in your signature (access this through the User CP). Did you have service to the cooling system done recently? Overflow from being too full. I'm with Steve, not enough info. to diagnose the problem. I have found the OEM hoses begin to seep through the internal cords at the ends of the hoses. Usually tightening the clamps takes care of this.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I needed to give more info. Here goes:
2004 ST4sABS new to me this year. I've had two other STs starting with a 97 ST2 bought new followed by an 01 ST4s.

This bike was serviced including fluids about 800 miles ago with no leaks until the previous two rides. I bought the bike with a cracked right front fairing which appears and was stated to be from a shop removing fairing panels in the wrong sequence. I am responsible for a driveway tipover which scratched the left mirror and pannier (due to an unexpected stop on a very slopy driveway, my first dropping of a bike).

Both rides were high spirited rides that got up to operating temperature for over 60 minutes but there was no overheating on either ride. There has not been any drops after the engine cooled.

Because of the cracked fairing, I am waiting for the shop to remove the panel. I have a service scheduled for next week to put back the stock pipes (moving to a neighborhood where my current decibel output will be a problem) and to have the leak checked out, likely with antifreeze replaced.

So what I was asking was for any wisdom from the group as to possible leak sources that I could ask to be checked when the bike is serviced. While it's possible that the drop was the cause of the leak, there were several rides between the drop and the first leak.

Thanks for reading and for your suggestions.

Nic

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
My guess is weeping from a hose. Watch the coolant level closely until you bring it back for service.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you ever hear gurgling, boiling or pissing noises while sitting at a stop light or after shutting the bike down?

If you find that the coolant is dripping from the expansion tank hose, its pretty likely that your Radiator Cap has minerals built up on the seal. This is common and simply requires you to remove the cap and scrap the minerals off the seal.

Basically your cooling system is pressurize when hot and if the seal doesn't seal the pressurized coolant gets forced into the expansion tank and eventually out the overflow hose.

*This can be especially true after spirited riding.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Hi Nic, I hope you've found the source of your leak. I echo the issue of the buildup of gunk at the radiator cap, and ensuring that the hoses are tightened. You may also look to see you don't have the beginning of a split hose (slightly split will leak when hot) or that the drain plug in the water pump on the left hand side isn't weeping a bit. I've had all these things happen on my bikes.

Ron

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
What the guys are saying is if/when the rad. cap gets "gunky", your system won't pressurize as it normally should. You can test this by going for a ride, getting it hot, then check the hoses for firmness. You might want to check hoses when cold to feel how mushy they are with zero psi, first. Anyway, if they're firm when warm/hot, your cap is probably good.

For leaks, the first place I'd feel for is the upper rad. hose. You can just touch that connection to the radiator up thru the left air outlet on the fairing. I've seen/felt this joint moist a few times on my ST2. I even found a new bike in the shop (back in the day) doing its little piddle on the dealer's carpet. (Naughty Duc!)

I'm 90% sure it sill be a minor leak, if/when you find it.

Oh, this "leak"... I've seen the bike drip a few drops overnight, mostly during cold weather, and when the bike is not being used. Then totally go away, when the bike is used routinely...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No gurgling, hissing or other sounds. The problem has only been after the first freeze. I looked at the old service records from the previous owner and he had hose clamps tightened after a slow leak. Took it on a hard ride today, no drips during cool down. Nothing wet to the touch through the fairing opening. In to the shop this coming Friday for pipe swap and check up - will report. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't say what my concern was because it just really came to me last night. I don't care about a small amount of fluid leaking between rides. I want to know from the wise hands whether I should be concerned about a BIG leak of coolant happening DURING a ride. I don't want that slippery stuff on my rear tire while leaned over. Thanks for helping me think through this. The bike ran fantastic in the NC mountains yesterday - best bike I've ever ridden by far.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Really just keep a close eye on it and hopefully you can figure out where the coolant was coming from.

Unless its a cracked hose, the chances of it suddenly dumping tons of coolant are probably very low. If it is a cracked hose, you'd be able to find the leak fairly easily.

However at this point we don't know what the issue is, so just be aware and do a quick check each time you park. Check overflow tube specifically, it is wet that's likely the source; which could simply be that the coolant level was a little to high, or that the Rad cap is dirty/weak.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have fought this battle since 2014. It usually boils down, no pun intended, to tightening a hose clamp or repairing the radiator. I had it all under control after a radiator repair job, but decided to splurge on Samco hoses last year. Back to leaks square one. I think all is okay, but I have a question.

Does anyone happen to know the capacity of the overflow container? I have a 2006 ST3S, AKA Lucrezia the Leaker or Incontinentia.

I would bet there is a difference between the two fairing styles. :smile2j

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have fought this battle since 2014. It usually boils down, no pun intended, to tightening a hose clamp or repairing the radiator. I had it all under control after a radiator repair job, but decided to splurge on Samco hoses last year. Back to leaks square one. I think all is okay, but I have a question.

Does anyone happen to know the capacity of the overflow container? I have a 2006 ST3S, AKA Lucrezia the Leaker or Incontinentia.

I would bet there is a difference between the two fairing styles. :smile2j
It's going in tomorrow so of course it has been dry as a bone for the last week.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the ST4s back yesterday. Shop said no problems noticed with radiator cap - hoses tightened was the only fix required. They said the drops from the slave were not enough to warrant fixing at this time.
Maybe for another thread, but had the stock pipes put back on with no noticeable difference in throttle response or power.
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
One last question - I could use a skilled Ducati wrench near me in Asheville. There used to be a dealer but they closed last year. I have posted here for suggestions but no luck. Any advice on finding a good wrench here? Thanks again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The bike ran fantastic in the NC mountains yesterday - best bike I've ever ridden by far.
Yeah, great memories of your town last year when the Norton Rally was held there. I just wished I could have brought all the toys there. Still, plenty of fun on a 43 year old ride. I never even did the Dragon. Locals told me that there were many routes that were just as much fun and less crowded with riders and law enforcement. And they were right!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts