Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ansel was a master manipulator in the dark room.
Photoshop is just another type of dark room, it's dark inside a microprocessor...
:laugh:

·
Still needs a life.
12,409 Posts
Ansel was a master manipulator in the dark room.
Photoshop is just another type of dark room, it's dark inside a microprocessor...
:laugh:
I don't use Photoshop, but I suspect it took Adams a lot longer to master the dark room than it would take me to master Photoshop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wouldn't say I mastered the darkroom, but have certainly mastered Photoshop over the course of 15 years... There's a lot of chemistry and math involved with printing/processing that I can't wrap my head around. The computer does all that for you in Photoshop.

·
Bon Vivant
10,231 Posts
I think the problem is that the tools available in a darkroom required the development of skills to understand and apply... wheras today anyone can push a slider in photoshop and ruin an otherwise good image. Even at the high end... now people EXPECT to see unrealistically contrasty oversaturated photos that no longer resemble anything you can actually find in the real world, I guess I think it's gone too far.
Totally not true - well, not compared to real photoshop skills. A real photoshop expert has far more training and knowledge than most darkroom manipulators ever did. When I was in photography school we learned about Ansel and his "army" of darkroom assistants that utilized his dodge and burn techniques to manipulate prints. According to our teacher Ansel rarely did the work himself - his students and helpers manipulated most of his prints.

When I went to work as a photographer I often had to use the darkroom to duplicate or enlarge my work to send to prospective clients. I was able to learn AA's techniques in a couple of days and was successful on the very first try. BTW I shot everything on 35mm positive film and enlarged to 70mm and even to 8x10 positive film on occasion. I did not do my own prints. (the process is exactly the same, I'm just enlarging on to celluloid instead of paper)

If you look at some of it now you'd probably swear the saturation was manipulated or they were digitally changed but aside from removing some backscatter or cropping for a certain size I dont believe I've ever "enhanced" any of my images.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts