Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the decision last summer to build a dedicated track bike after spending a weekend on Barber with the 999s not pushing it for fear of destroying her. Since Im in the business of buying Ducati's, not selling them, I still have my first, a 1995 Supersport SS/CR.

She was beautiful, then I bought a 916 and she went unridden, then I bought the 999s and she was all but forgotten...

The first few mods were a corbin seat and full fairings the same week I got her home:

I started stockpiling parts last year to turn the bike into a full time track bike.
The list of parts I have so far include:
916 front end and wheel
Machined upper triple clamp
39mm FCR's w/pod filters
Ignitech module
5.5" rear wheel
did 520 chain
D&D equal length headers w/Danmoto carbon cans
14 front and 39 rear sprocket
Underslung rear caliper
120/70 front and 180/55 rear Power One tires
2 more sets of full fairings
Lightened wiring
999R Front master cylinder
916 clutch master cylinder

Im still waiting on a few of the parts to show up, but Im starting to put parts on as I get them.

Test Fitting the rear wheel. The exhaust cans are Danmoto and the quality is great so far, and for only $180 for the pair!

The dash is only a template now, with some luck I will be able to score some old used sheet metal from an apache helicopter fuselage to finish it!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fitting the front wheel and playing with the master cylinders and clip-ons:

Using a solid spacer to delete the speedo pickup

39mm FCR's temporarily mounted, still have to rebuild them

I have been doing a little research about putting a newer, slightly longer double adjustable showa shock on from an injected supersport... Cheaper alternative to a fox or ohlins shock. Anyone have one sitting around?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Looks like fun! You mentioned aftermarket headers and a better (and longer) rear shock. Essential. You'll probably want to get the forks and shock re-sprung and re-valved for your weight. Your gearing sounds awfully low, unless you only plan to ride on slow tracks. I use 15/37 (stock) on my track bike and I'm almost always in 4th, 5th or 6th gear. I can't control the urge to post a pic or 2 of my 1997 SS/SP track bike, even though everyone's probably seen it enough to get nauseous. 317 lbs. without gas, more fun than should be legal. Ian 996 has a beautiful SS track bike too.

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gettin rid of the stock head pipes defiantly opened it up a bit, I got a chance to ride it a few times with the equal length pipes currently installed in the pictures with some older carbon cans installed. Im really looking forward to getting a new(er) shock on it too!! Im going to try out the 14/39 and if its to steep Ill put a 15 on the front.. mid ohio only has one really fast straight, and i can stand going a bit slower down the back straight to gain some power everywhere else.

Joe, that is a very nice bike! I hope mine looks half as nice as that when its done! next winter ill be tearing it down and powedercoating the frame and repainting the engine. Im going to have a friend throw a decent coat of paint on my fairings this spring.

The forks I had revalved and resprung for my weight last month, cant wait to get this bike done!!!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey James, looking at what you have done to your 999 I know you can appreciate what a set of light wheels can do for a bike. But if you don't want to spend too much I would go for a slipper clutch and a light flywheel. A light battery is a good investment for a track bike. Hell anything that can take the weight off is good. JoeB has everybody beat as far as I know for lightweight.
One of these days JoeB we should meet at a track. If you ever venture to the west coast we have lots of tracks to chose from, The Ridge, ORP and Thunderhill are great

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Thanks Ian for the invite; it would be fun. I do go to Oregon sometimes (my daughter lives in Portland). Or, if you want to make a trip, I mostly ride at Miller. Amazing facility! Boy that's a beautiful bike you have. I covet your Ohlins forks and BSTs (my forks are 996 and Marvic wheels).

·
Registered
712 Posts
Stop posting those build-up threads! Makes me itch to get started on my own bike :D Mine just looks sad at the moment...

Will be quite a wheelie-popper with that gearing.
I think you'll feel more at ease with a 15 sprocket in the front :)

Oh, and keep those pictures coming!
I love to see these bikes "naked".

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ian and DME... Amazing bikes!! I hope mine turns out half as nice as either of those!

My 999s actually came with the BST's but your right, the performance is well worth the price. I want to get good at riding the 900 at its full weight with the boat anchor wheels and regular clutch before I settle into the luxuries of BST's and slipper clutches. When I am riding comfortably in the intermediate class (or realize Ive reached the potential of the bike as it is) Ill invest in the extra performance goodies.

Keep the inspirational pictures of bikes that will always be cooler than mine coming!!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
might make a carbon dash in the future, but I have access to a bit of very light sheet aluminum and its very easy to work with... besides, right now this is a "budget" trackbike build...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a few parts in over the last week and did a bit of work, thought Id share the progress:
Wanted to mount the ignitech as far from the coils as possible, keep it away from the heat of the exhaust and attempt to make it accessible for software adjustments without removing it. Decided to cut up some aluminum strip and make a mount where the headlight was, right under the dash. The zip ties are only temporary, going to use some double sticky tape and worm clamps to secure it. Ill have to lengthen a couple of the wires to make the wiring all tidy. Should be able to get to the serial cable connector without removing the fairings:

Installed the clutch master cylinder (from a 998)and brake master cylinder (999R, still working on the reservoir) and adjusted the clipons. The upper clamp is being painted black at the moment:

The part I'm really excited about is the aluminum dash panel. Material was free, so I decided on this instead of carbon or fiberglass. The tach will go on the right and the warning lights on the left, still have to cut the holes. I might use it to make a carbon dash later, but for now I really dig the aluminum!

·
Registered
18 Posts
James...You must be the guy from LSB, right?? good luck with the build. We should meet up sometime for a ride. What track days are you doing this year?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats me! Miguel812 are planning a few: An entire weekend at Barber again, ofcourse putnam a couple times, Mid ohio after the AMA race and I really want to go to Road Atlanta! We meet up every weekend that the weather is nice at the thortans in new albany on 111 to ride, just look on the rides section.. somone always posts a meet up time there!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Would you have room on the Barber trip for another? I haven't been there in a few years and am itching to go back, IDK if I can make it happen, but I would like to try...when are you going?
I am thinking about trying to get a group to do Star School, would you have any interest in that?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eric, there is always room for 1 more! we may have to procure a larger trailer though. I use a small single axle open 3 bike hauler, and I bring 2 bikes to the track, plus my buddy will have his GSXR.. We can put yours in the bed of the truck though. Ill have to think about the school.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Updates on the 900ss:

Finally got the 999 Master cylinder done, brake lines are out to be modified for it now. Had to put the start button on the left grip due to the 999 brake master being a bit larger.. not enough room, anyone know if this will be a problem during tech inspection at the track?
The dash is temporarily mounted and the layout sketched, Tach on the right and warning lights on the left. The ignitech is mounted and all the wiring was ran. Had to lengthen 2 of the leads and tuck the wiring to try and have a professional looking install. I think I want to get new throttle cables and re route them along the frame instead of between the air box. They don't quite fit well enough for my liking at the throttle tube anyway, they are pressed against the fork tubes when the throttle tube is in the proper installed location.

Ive been getting alot of pm's about the exhaust, so Ill give a good description here. I bought the system from a guy here on MS. a few years ago, he said it is a D&D equal length system, ceramic coated. The exhaust cans were pretty ratty when I got it, bought the "monster" kit from DanMoto and they fit very well. Quality of the Danmoto welds and carbon is as good as anything else (maybe a bit better) and the price cant be beat..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ive been getting alot of pm's about the exhaust, so Ill give a good description here. I bought the system from a guy here on MS. a few years ago, he said it is a D&D equal length system, ceramic coated. The exhaust cans were pretty ratty when I got it, bought the "monster" kit from DanMoto and they fit very well. Quality of the Danmoto welds and carbon is as good as anything else (maybe a bit better) and the price cant be beat..
I went on the DanMoto website. It looks like this is your exhaust:

Ducati Streetfighter all models Carbon GP [EX-00365] - $245.00

It seems the price has gone up a bit - but still quite the deal. I know my cans are a bit scratched up from the previous owner; this could be an affordable replacement.

Your bike looks like it's coming together awfully fast. Looks great!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts