Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I have read a number of threads with regards to this topic, but I have another question. I've been riding for about 6 years, started on a cruiser that did nothing for me, then found true enjoyment on a ST3 which I've had for a few years, but want something sportier. I'm now looking to maybe do some track days and take my riding experience to the next level. For this task I'm looking at either a ss1000ds or an '06 999. My question is which will give me more "confidence" both on the track, and in twisties. Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of riding beyond my skill level, but would like a bike to allow me to start, learn, and grow with, but not out-grow anytime soon. I will probably be doing more weekend riding on local twisties than on the track, maybe 80/20, at least to start. Both are "comfortable" to sit on, but unfortunately do not have the opportunity to test ride either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
I have both a 900SS and a 748R and have ridden both on the street and on track days.

Your choice should favor the majority of riding you intend to do. Both the bikes you are considering handle well on street and track. The 1000SS has a very user-friendly powerband (mid-range focused), while the 4V 999 likes to rev. Simply put, if your street usage exceeds your track days, choose the SS, while if the reverse is true, the SBK is the better tool. There is no bad decision here, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,794 Posts
bking said:
My question is which will give me more "confidence" both on the track, and in twisties. Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of riding beyond my skill level, but would like a bike to allow me to start, learn, and grow with, but not out-grow anytime soon.
Based on those statements... the 999, IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
rz33v4 said:
I have both a 900SS and a 748R and have ridden both on the street and on track days.

Your choice should favor the majority of riding you intend to do. Both the bikes you are considering handle well on street and track. The 1000SS has a very user-friendly powerband (mid-range focused), while the 4V 999 likes to rev. Simply put, if your street usage exceeds your track days, choose the SS, while if the reverse is true, the SBK is the better tool. There is no bad decision here, IMO.

+1

I have a 750SS & 996. Road + twisties = SS. Track = 999. The SBK is defenitely more focused for the track and the SS will give you more variance, however that said, do NOT count out the SS' ability to tear up the track.

Here in AZ, we have no "real" tracks compared to some of you guys. Our biggest track is 1.7 miles, half of it is made of tar snakes(the other rattlers :) ), so I can take my SS on the smaller tracks and run circles around guys on liter bikes.

Point is, look at your environment and see what powerband wil work better. Take into consideration what you had and what you asked yourself. You answered your own question in your thread. Keep taking the small steps, slow growth is best. I was on my SS for 3 years and never "outgrew" it. Still have, always will.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
A) Calculate the cost of the 999, taxes and all.

B) Add on the amount of money you anticipate spending on pipes, ECU, carbon goodies and other aftermarket parts. Use that as your working total.

C) Determine the price for a good used 1000SS.

D) Subtract that number from the above.

E) Next, search this forum for "New Blue"

F) Now calculate how many really cool parts you can buy with the total cash amount you came up with in part D, above. Don't forget to add in the money you will get when you re-sell the parts you take off the SuperSport.

G) Get some blue paint. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
Mike,

That's why Ducati's SS model cancellation is difficult for me to understand - its the best all-around sportbike they offered.

Rather than cancel it, just like the 1098, restyle it and reduce the weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
rz33v4 said:
Mike,

That's why Ducati's SS model cancellation is difficult for me to understand - its the best all-around sportbike they offered.

Rather than cancel it, just like the 1098, restyle it and reduce the weight.
Yup. Not much good as squid bait, though. Ultimately you sell what a rider wants, not what a rider can use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
I went to the bike shop with the idea of getting an SS1000DS and rode home instead on a 749d, and I am quite happy with the decision. Yes, in real-world conditions I might be a bit faster around the local motorways on the SuperSport, but that is academic and misses the point. Both are great bikes and both are quite quick in any condition. I did not make my decision based on which would be faster. For me, the superbike is more comfortable, with a better seating position and more modern chassis. It is better looking, IMHO, and I love the dash. And it is more fun when I do want to move because it revs and revs. The 1000 is a torque monster but it runs out of puff while the 749 is still getting very interesting.

The Super Sport 1000 has been replaced with the Sport 1000, which is better bike in most respects and has the same motor. The old SuperSport, while a great bike, did not fit the "Supersport" category any longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
dfaber,

I'm glad you are happy with your purchase decision.

I will take issue with the "Sport Classics" replacing the SS models, however. There is a charm in reprising old design themes, I suppose, but some of us don't really want old-look or old-tech in our new bikes. The Sport 1000 is pretty, but I would dismiss it on the use of wire wheels/tube tires alone. I remember all too well having a tire puncture at speed back in the '70s and I don't want that to happen ever again.

Some day a manufacturer will offer a lightweight, torquey sportbike with modern features and a slick appearance. That's when I would consider replacing my SS. A road-focused, affordable version of the track-only NCR Milona, now that I would think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
rz33v4 said:
dfaber,

I'm glad you are happy with your purchase decision.

I will take issue with the "Sport Classics" replacing the SS models... I remember all too well having a tire puncture at speed back in the '70s and I don't want that to happen ever again...
The new spoked rim is tubeless.
Old style
NEW technology.

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
Rich,

Are you sure? BMW spaces their spokes wide on the rim to enable tubeless tires, but I see nothing like that on the SportClassics execution. Do they have tubes or not?
 

·
Master of Bumnitude
Joined
·
5,132 Posts
RichD said:
The new spoked rim is tubeless.
Old style
NEW technology.
No, sorry to say, it is not. They are true 'classic' spoke wheels and require tubes in the tires.

The present Sport1000 could easily be made into a superior Supersport, and it would not surprise me if Ducati was to do just that.

The basic concept behind the bikes are similar, but the newer design is lighter and has a more rigid frame. To make it really "Super" Ducati would only need make the fork and suspension fully adjustable, substitute alloy wheels for the Sports wired jobbies (which would also allow for even better brakes - perhaps radial) and - for tradition' sake - offer a full-fairing.

I'm a 2 valve Duc guy myself, presently having a `93 SS as well as a GT1000 in my garage. I love the desmodue motors finding them near perfect for sporting street use. But, to take up this threads original question, I go with a 999 for the track. Not only does it have more 'go' from that desmoquatro motor, but the suspension, handling, feedback (and resulting confidence) and (amazingly) even comfort is in each case better.

-don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
I thought the SportClassics had tube tires. No thanks.

To attract a buyer like me, however, it will take more than tubeless tires, as I value light weight, excellent chassis performance (including brakes) and up-to-date styling (no retro, please). The Bimota DB5 has the look and specs I want, if not the price.

I agree with the SBK call if the majority of time is spent on the track; I do prefer my 748 over my SS in that venue, but not so if the majority of time is on the street. The SBK (in fact, almost any large-displacement SBK from any manufacturer) is overkill on the street.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for your response!!! I understand the SS has more "usable power" out of the box, but it seems gearing changes and other minor modifications can be done to allow for the 999 to be better on the street. I think I'm going with the 999. Like rz33v4 said, there is no bad decision and I just LOVE the look of the 999 and even the thought/privilege of owning one excites me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
bking said:
Thanks to all for your response!!! I understand the SS has more "usable power" out of the box, but it seems gearing changes and other minor modifications can be done to allow for the 999 to be better on the street. I think I'm going with the 999. Like rz33v4 said, there is no bad decision and I just LOVE the look of the 999 and even the thought/privilege of owning one excites me.
Why not a 749? I had an ST3, going from that to a 749 was great. The bike handles so much better, and its much quicker. Are you really going to go faster than a 749 can go? Save the money from the 999, and get Remus exhaust and light weight wheels, then you have a bike that really loves to turn.

Kurt
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top