Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arie Henning rides the Ducati Super leggera. Arie is a damn good racer and not much of a Ducati fan as I recall from his motorcyclist days but his review of the SL is pretty passionate. I really like his comparison of the effectiveness of the wings on the SL vs the V4R. Most people - even those of us who are pretty good track riders, will not be able to experience those wings doing their job, but for the people who are skilled enough and ride the bike to its purpose those wings are a must.

I guess I understand if you feel like a poser riding around town with a set of wings on your $100,000 superbike, but man, the thought of what that bike is capable of is astounding, and frankly most people who would snicker at your wings have no clue anyway...

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Here is his whole article, which I think is really well done.

I don't really care about the snickering with the wings - people will always snicker about something or another and it never matters. It's more that imho the wings detract from an otherwise gorgeous motorcycle and they're unnecessary for 90% of the time. So for 90% of the time, they're there for peacocking. :)

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Bon Vivant
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think about it this way - its less than a 1974 750SS greenframe, or you could buy 2 of them for the price of a legit supermono. And as much as I like the iconic bikes of Ducatis history this thing Obliterates them all in every way... and I disagree that the wings detract from the bike, they are part of it's beauty and its character, I'd proudly peacock those wings!

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
But Mike, do you know how much more weight you save by taking those wings off and putting them in a box?? :) :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
One thing jumps out at me with these things: for all the carbon fibre they still use alloy triples.....cheap bastards!

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
One thing jumps out at me with these things: for all the carbon fibre they still use alloy triples.....cheap bastards!
Carbon triples won’t weigh any less. By the time it has the proper amount of alloy sleeving and whatever else it needs to be strong enough to be homologated, it’s not going to be lighter.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts

I don't really care about the snickering with the wings - people will always snicker about something or another and it never matters. It's more that imho the wings detract from an otherwise gorgeous motorcycle and they're unnecessary for 90% of the time. So for 90% of the time, they're there for peacocking. :)

They remind me of the Mono R airbox...

I lobbied hard against it's inclusion, for what I felt were very good reasons. On the plus side of the ledger, it adds between 7 and 8 HP... on the negative side, it completely obscures rearward vision on that side of the car.

It also detracts, IMO, from what is arguably one of the sexiest automotive "shapes" of the last half century.

One thing is for certain... like the wings on the SL, it is almost impossible to ignore, as it is one of the most prominent features of the design.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I lobbied hard against it's inclusion, for what I felt were very good reasons. On the plus side of the ledger, it adds between 7 and 8 HP... on the negative side, it completely obscures rearward vision on that side of the car.

It also detracts, IMO, from what is arguably one of the sexiest automotive "shapes" of the last half century.

One thing is for certain... like the wings on the SL, it is almost impossible to ignore, as it is one of the most prominent features of the design.
Love that airbox tbh.

·
Registered
308 Posts

Yes, that thing is an absolute stunner! But I can see why the airbox would grate, for such a lovely thing it is the only component that doesn’t look integrated. Seems an odd decision with the driver’s nacelle sitting there begging to be used?
Still, helluva job you have, can’t imagine it is hard to jump out of bed in the morning. Well done.

(insert sound of running footsteps as I scoot off to do my Googles....)

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
@nerval @seven4niner That was our first build... hence the design guys had not settled on the final livery at that point so we went bare CFRP with the Mono R logo. I'm not positive, but I think the production version is going to be much better integrated into the overall white/black paint scheme.

And the reason it's there at all is that 7-8 HP... each version of the Mono is essentially an F3 car, beneath CFRP bodywork and crash structures that make it street legal. As the Mono R is our Superlegerra so to speak, it was decided to make it, much as Ducati did with the V4SL, as extreme as possible. That meant duplicating, at least functionally, as much of the F3 performance as possible... and F3 has always, at least in recent memory, been using those airboxes on the Ford Duratech inline 4's.

This is an early prototype that we had 3D printed that was then used for dyno testing at Mountune... The MonoR Duratech is the highest specific output per liter engine in the world. 340 bhp from 2.5L at 8,000 Rpm.

I am still not a big fan of it, as I think it detracts from just how stunning the new bodywork is, but I have to admit, from certain angles, this car is badass.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@nerval @seven4niner That was our first build... hence the design guys had not settled on the final livery at that point so we went bare CFRP with the Mono R logo. I'm not positive, but I think the production version is going to be much better integrated into the overall white/black paint scheme.

And the reason it's there at all is that 7-8 HP... each version of the Mono is essentially an F3 car, beneath CFRP bodywork and crash structures that make it street legal. As the Mono R is our Superlegerra so to speak, it was decided to make it, much as Ducati did with the V4SL, as extreme as possible. That meant duplicating, at least functionally, as much of the F3 performance as possible... and F3 has always, at least in recent memory, been using those airboxes on the Ford Duratech inline 4's.
View attachment 990483
This is an early prototype that we had 3D printed that was then used for dyno testing at Mountune... The MonoR Duratech is the highest specific output per liter engine in the world. 340 bhp from 2.5L at 8,000 Rpm.

I am still not a big fan of it, as I think it detracts from just how stunning the new bodywork is, but I have to admit, from certain angles, this car is badass.
View attachment 990486

I like the asymmetrical light on the old S1000RR also so it is probably just personal preferanse. It would look awesome without also no doubt, but I think it's an awesome "design feature" either way. I'm a sucker for CF so I like the bare CF look. Awesome looking car all together!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts

I wonder who that Ryan character might be? :unsure: Sounds like an interesting chap.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I wonder who that Ryan character might be? :unsure: Sounds like an interesting chap.
Lol. He's not that interesting; trust me. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts