Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This latest experience has really freaked me out and I was hoping someone could help identify a possible cause. Just for the record, I had the fuel line problem "fixed" by the dealer and the bike has had it's 600 mile service (stock, no reflash). Bike now has about 2000 miles on it.

After riding about 56 miles I stopped at a gas station to put on a windbreaker and decided to top off the tank while I was there. I departed and was travelling in the left lane going about 80 mph, 12 miles since topping off, when I experienced the first momentery loss of power. Could not tell if it was a fuel or electrical issue. Aborted the ride and headed home. After another 40 miles or so, while going at 82 mph, constant throttle, I experienced a second momentery loss of power. Made it home, opened the gas cap and heard a slight release of pressure/vacuum, but nothing major. Let the bike sit in the sun for a while, opened the gas cap and heard a louder release of pressure but I attributed this to it sitting in the sun. Added some fuel stabilizer (marine type for use with ethenol) and did another 60 miles or so without a problem.
So, should I ignore it? Could it be the fuel line coming loose again? Could it be a loose ground wire? Could it have been water in the fuel? Could it be a problem with the gas cap not seating properly? I told you it's freaking me out!

Any advice would be much appreciated. I was planning a long ride this weekend but I'm not confident taking the bike after experiencing these two "quirks". Thanks.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Mine used to do this - very nasty when it happens in a fast corner or when you are going too slow for it to bumpstart itself - get the reflash and the ground screw tightened - the reflash madse a big difference to the performance and, oddly, the sound. I used to use ethanol-blended fuel but that seemed to make the problem more frequent for some reason

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
BTW, despite it happening many times before the reflash, it always started right up with a short press of the start button - it never left me stranded in 5000 miles

·
Bon Vivant
11,110 Posts
Two things come to mind that could be causing your loss of power.

You should not have any pressure build up so try checking the vent line to your evap canister.
You may want to pull it off the can and try a trip around the block to see if you still experience a pressure buildup.
You may need to keep looking deeper if the problem persists.

Aside from the fuel tank another known issue could be the culprit. The loose ECU ground wire could cause those exact symptoms.
There is a recall, have your dealer check it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I saw another thread similar to this. It had to do with a kinked fuel line.

·
Registered
77 Posts
happened to me as well...............plugged fuel vent line. Have you, by chance, removed the evaporator cannister and inadvertently plugged the wrong line? One gets plugged upon removal, the other remains open to vent.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
My tank pressure build up went away when I ditched the evap. canister.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, sounds like the ECU ground wire, fuel vent line, instrument module and/or evap canister are the most likely suspects. WOW, I'll see if I can't start ruling these out one by one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Thanks everyone, sounds like the ECU ground wire, fuel vent line, instrument module and/or evap canister are the most likely suspects. WOW, I'll see if I can't start ruling these out one by one. Thanks again.

if it's the instrument module, after the momentary loss of power the clock and trip meter reset to midnight and zero respectfully...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts