Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hats off to Paul at Ducati Designs. After outfitting my MTS with some of DD's lighting products and foot pegs some time ago, I just had to make a return visit to acquire a headlight and other LED lighting products for my newly acquired 4s. After feeding Paul a line of... "I'm a return customer... surely you can throw in some lens protectors on the house for that DD headlight I am about to purchase?"... suffice it to say, I was more than taken care of. For those of you who haven't taken a good hard look at the products that Paul has to offer, go on over to Ducati Designs, LLC - Home and have a look-see. Great products... great guy!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hands down the best modI have made on my bike given that I ride after sundown a lot. Ducati should be ashamed of themselves for selling a bike with such a piss poor headlight. The DD light is fantastic.

·
Registered
797 Posts
DD's are one of the best additions

Just wish I could afford this upgrade...... I know my 2002 ST4S would love it!

Face it the older design ST2/4 's have the worlds worst headlights, and this upgrade will make any older ST a lot safer at night............

Safey IS a good thing!

·
7,733 Posts
..is there anything "wrong" with that headlight? (just curious about your opinion)

Cheers,
Mark
No. There is nothing wrong with the headlight. It works very well. :) I don't ride a lot at night and when I do, I keep a safe pace. :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's pushin it!! On a dark foggy night with no street lamps that's the max!

My Aprilia RXV550 Dual-Sport, which really is just a dirtbike with lights has a headlight MUCH better that my sport-touring machine from Ducati....Sad really...

If I rode at night more often I'd have to step up to the DD assembly, crap I might have to this year for the sake of safety, as we have some long rides planned..

On the early ST you out pace the stock headlight at 35 mph.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
..is there anything "wrong" with that headlight? (just curious about your opinion)

Cheers,
Mark
I had DD headlights on my 01-ST4 and 02-ST4s. A photo of my 01-ST4 is PG's current avatar and another photo of it comes up when doing a Yahoo search of Ducati Design images. While the headlight of the "new style" ST's may be fine compared to the OEM headlights of other motorcycles, IMHO it literally pales in comparison to the DD headlights I was used to on my earlier ST's.

I think part of the problem with the headlight on the new style ST models is that the low beam does not remain lit when the high beam is activated. PG says it is a simple matter to modify the headlight switch so that both beams will be on when the high beam is activated, but I have not done so for fear the heat from both beams may melt something in the fairing or the headlight assembly.

·
7,733 Posts
If DD comes up with a sexy bit of kit that improves on the looks of the headlamps on the "ST3 style" ST's, I'd consider looking at one. Even though the lighting for me is adequate, an upgrade that adds style and functionality, like c/f; Ti; SS exhaust cannisters, never hurts. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Face it the older design ST2/4 's have the worlds worst headlights, and this upgrade will make any older ST a lot safer at night............

Safey IS a good thing!
Exactly my thought. See, be seen and I sure think that DD headlight is a work of art to boot.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I had DD headlights on my 01-ST4 and 02-ST4s. A photo of my 01-ST4 is PG's current avatar and another photo of it comes up when doing a Yahoo search of Ducati Design images. While the headlight of the "new style" ST's may be fine compared to the OEM headlights of other motorcycles, IMHO it literally pales in comparison to the DD headlights I was used to on my earlier ST's.

I think part of the problem with the headlight on the new style ST models is that the low beam does not remain lit when the high beam is activated. PG says it is a simple matter to modify the headlight switch so that both beams will be on when the high beam is activated, but I have not done so for fear the heat from both beams may melt something in the fairing or the headlight assembly.
Bill , The mod is really simple combined with a HID kit , after having established that you need to fit HID to both beams rather than just dip (you will have seen my post about the difference in brightness) I am really happy with it.
Dont have any heat issues so a definite top 10 modification.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The headlight of the "new style" ST's.. IMHO literally pales in comparison to the DD headlights I was used to on my earlier ST's.
They're that good? Cool :). Personally, I think my ST3's headlight is very good. Not HID-good, but definitely good enough for me. For my low beam I do use one of those fancy Philips bulbs that have more light output (and last longer) while sticking to the designed low beam wattage.

..a simple matter to modify the headlight switch so that both beams will be on when the high beam is activated ... fear the heat from both beams may melt something in the fairing or the headlight assembly.
I've also done that modification, and that improves lighting even more, of course. There have been several threads on the forum with nobody reporting any problems, if I remember correctly. I don't use the high beam a lot, but it's good to know you're getting the maximum amount of light from your particular headlight setup if you need it.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
They're that good? Cool :). Personally, I think my ST3's headlight is very good. Not HID-good, but definitely good enough for me. For my low beam I do use one of those fancy Philips bulbs that have more light output (and last longer) while sticking to the designed low beam wattage.

Cheers,
Mark
Here is a comparison of the DD headlight to the OEM headlight of the "old style" ST's.

Ducati Designs, LLC - Ducati Designs, LLC

·
Registered
82 Posts
DD Light must work. When was the last time you saw a parted bike with one?
But I still keep waiting.

Picking some Rearsets up soon.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
After feeding Paul a line of... "I'm a return customer... surely you can throw in some lens protectors on the house for that DD headlight I am about to purchase?"...
I'm surprised he didn't double charge your credit card for the suggestion. LOL ;)

If DD comes up with a sexy bit of kit that improves on the looks of the headlamps on the "ST3 style" ST's, I'd consider looking at one.
I guess Paul needs to get some '97-'02 upper fairings made and offer them with the DD light as an upgrade kit for those weird ST3-looking things. :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts