Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

another newbie sorta...I owned a 750 monster and later a 750 supersport back to back for a few years pre 2010.

just previous to that I had a Honda CRF230 dirt bike as my first bike that I rode almost every weekend for a couple of years till my back and knees said no moar! I always thought two years of riding in the dirt in thickly dense woods every weekend solo outside of mobile phone range was a great warm up for street riding.

after lamenting and thinking I would never be back on two wheels for a more than a few reasons I did an abrupt 360 out of the blue and pulled the trigger on a red 1999 ST4 w/ 25k miles and a dirt, dirt cheap price in the last week of October 2019. I bought it with an unknown service history as the previous owner had taken it in trade a couple years prior and only put 200 miles on it. that said the overall condition looked very well kept after for it's age. this was the exact year, model and color I had planned on replacing my 750 supersport with 10 years ago. how could I say no?

instead of doing the responsible adult thing and picking it up with a trailer or pickup truck. I decided to ride it home after a buddy dropped me off in the middle of nowhere to ride home completely solo. the sellers home was two hours away from mine on a good day...what could go wrong? well? actually nothing went wrong, in fact I took the longest route home. 3.25 hours and 160 miles later I arrived home with zero issues, a very sore butt and a big smile on my face...not bad for the first bike ride in ten years plus. going from a 750 with a wet clutch to a 916 dry clutch is a huge difference! attached picture is from last fall when I picked it up.

the whole covid 19 thing threw a huge monkey wrench into planned fluid and filtering servicing this early spring as my bike is stored at a another friends heated basement over an hour away. the current battery is now toast so my first purchase this week is a new Motobatt AGM in addition to printing a copy of the factory service manual at my local staples!

not a proper start but a start nevertheless.

C.J. Portland, Maine

20191018_145030_HDR(1).jpg

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
413 Posts
Welcome CJ ! ..... big Randy ST3 is not far from you , just outside Bangor I think , he has been up here several times to ride with us ECDC members in Nova Scotia , he is a member too and of course you invited to check us out ! , Randy a great guy and knowledgeable if you ever need help , again Welcome enjoy your new ride , you must be glad to be back in saddle !
Craig

Reactions: maine-er
1 - 3 of 3 Posts