Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just picked up my '03 749S this Saturday. Awesome bike, thanks for everyone's help and advice so far.

The bike has 4400 miles on it and I wanted to change the oil but can't figure out where all the parts are. I have a fair amount of experience wrenching on my other bikes, but the Ducati is new for me.

Back to my question:

I unbolted the fairing on the right side of the bike. The oil filter is on the right side of the picture.

1) Where is the oil drain plug. Is it on the far left side of the picture? If so, it looks like if I unscrew this and drain the oil it will drip on the exhaust.

2) Where is the this filter screen I keep reading about? I don't see anything I can unscrew. Are one of the two bolts in the center (either the large silver one or the bronze one) what I am looking for?

I desperately need to get a manual :) So any recommendations for this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,918 Posts
Yup, the main drain is the large plug at the left bottom of your pic. It has a magnet on it so expect to see some metal on there...that's normal - depending on how much metal is on it anyhoo. Yep, it will drain all over the pipe. Nice design, huh?

See the plug on the side of the engine, right by the oil filter? The large silver one? The screen is behind that. Remove it and use the same allen wrench to remove the screen. It's screwed in too, and may be snug. It's a tublar thing about 8 inches long. Clean it with contact cleaner, brake clean...things like that.

See that little plug next to the big one with the screen behind it? The bronze one? DO NOT remove that one. Leave it be.

On reassembly, everything is snug, but not real tight. Italian aluminum is not as robust as Japanese aluminum.

Fill the oil filter half full on re-assembly. Half. That's important. Put in three or so quarts, start her up on fast idle for a minute, shut it off and let it set for a few minutes. Then refill to between the two lines. Really sneak up on this and err on the low side. It's super easy to over-fill it.

Thats it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Awesome. The oil is draining as I write.

For the larger bolt, what size socket do I need for that? Is it 14mm? Also, if I don't do it during the oil change, can I clean this out another time (or will pulling it drain the oil)?

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The other end of the spark plug socket seems to be 14mm, but I wasn't able to get any leverage to get the from it to get to the mesh socket? I tried putting the screwdriver in the hole and it ended up snapping it!

·
Registered
603 Posts
wasnt aware the other end of the sparkplug socket was that size, I've actually got a 14mm socket I put on the ratchet, havent had problems with going that route. sorry to hear about the snapped screwdriver. (I've killed a new myself, not on the Duc, but... as a mechanic... it happens.)

·
Super Moderator
25,918 Posts
You'll want to pull the screen while the oil is out. 14mm is correct, and I use the spark plug tool with a 18mm (I think) box wrench on the "big" end.

Remember, don't overtighten stuff...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts