Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of hemming and hawing about what I wanted out of a bike, a clean red/red SF848 showed up local to me and I could not pass it up. Rode it home 50 miles yesterday. I had ridden the SF848 two or three times years ago but only briefly. Ride home was over an hour. Love the bike so far. Seat has to be changed ASAP but other than the seat and mirrors (previous owner lost the stock mirrors and it only has a single bar end right now), I'm loving everything about it. Ducati Performance seats seem hard to come by now so it looks like my choices are Sargent of Corbin. Just need to figure out which reduce the groin crushing slide into the tank. Thanks for all the great information here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Welcome aboard. Loads of great people with the correct answers for your questions. Best wishes.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Loads of great people with the correct answers for your questions.
Also, read as many posts as you can, because my experience, with a little bit of knowledge, is that some seem to post for posting sake, rather than being an informed poster.

Like the Abraham Lincoln quote "Don't believe everything you read on the internet"

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, read as many posts as you can, because my experience, with a little bit of knowledge, is that some seem to post for posting sake, rather than being an informed poster.

Like the Abraham Lincoln quote "Don't believe everything you read on the internet"
Thanks. I always do my best to search the archive first and if I do ask a question, I try to make it an informed one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome to the cult. I have the DP seat and my only gripe is that if you're doing a lot of twisties it's hard to slide your ass around the seat because the DP seat has extremely grippy. However I don't miss sitting on that OEM slab of rock they decided to go with.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Thanks. I always do my best to search the archive first and if I do ask a question, I try to make it an informed one.
As long as you report back that is great, even if X, Y or Z did not work, that is useful.
I sometimes search for things and end up with the crap/shit I wrote!
A bit sad.
The problem or whatever you want to call it is that "searchers" need to use the right/correct words/terminology.
I have found that changing one or two words on internet searching, not just Ducati stuff, transforms remarkably the results.

I am also sure, even with posting a question that may have been answered before, albeit the question was phrased a bit differently, this community will help you and probably point you to a thread that has answers or opinion ions.
I reiterate the Abe Lincoln quote!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The seat you want is the DP comfort seat - not the performance seat. I'm not sure that will help you, those are just as hard to find. My pick would be to either have the seat you have modified at an upholstery shop or the Sargent seat
For sure. I have not been able to find a DP comfort seat anywhere, new or used. I tried some of the sites I used for 851 parts in the past that often had hard to find bits and nothing has come up. Same with ebay. I was looking for a stock seat yesterday to have modified but by the time I find a seat and have an upholstery shop involved, I may find that for only a bit more money I could have gotten the Sargent seat and at least I'd have a known commodity.

I have to buy mirrors too. Previous owner could not find the stock mirrors and my bike only came with a single tiny round bar end that is barely any use at all. Otherwise the bike is in really nice shape. Found reasons to take it out twice yesterday!

·
Bon Vivant
10,231 Posts
For sure. I have not been able to find a DP comfort seat anywhere, new or used. I tried some of the sites I used for 851 parts in the past that often had hard to find bits and nothing has come up. Same with ebay. I was looking for a stock seat yesterday to have modified but by the time I find a seat and have an upholstery shop involved, I may find that for only a bit more money I could have gotten the Sargent seat and at least I'd have a known commodity.

I have to buy mirrors too. Previous owner could not find the stock mirrors and my bike only came with a single tiny round bar end that is barely any use at all. Otherwise the bike is in really nice shape. Found reasons to take it out twice yesterday!

Personally I'd have the stock seat modified with new foam. See if you can find a shop that will shape the foam with you and the bike present so you can dial it in exactly. I dont know how may shops would be willing to do this but I used to go to Bitchen Stitchen in Denver and that's what they did for everybody. These guys often had a 2 month waiting list to get a seat done but they really turned out some quality work. They did the seat on my SF in leather and alcantera and it's a work of art.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally I'd have the stock seat modified with new foam. See if you can find a shop that will shape the foam with you and the bike present so you can dial it in exactly. I dont know how may shops would be willing to do this but I used to go to Bitchen Stitchen in Denver and that's what they did for everybody. These guys often had a 2 month waiting list to get a seat done but they really turned out some quality work. They did the seat on my SF in leather and alcantera and it's a work of art.
Yesterday I decided to take off the factory seat to look into re-skinning it in something grippy and adding a bit more foam. Of course, nothing goes easy and one of the screws holding the seat on just spins in either direction without budging. Saw some similar complaints on the Monster board and possible work arounds so looks like that's what I'll be doing this week. Love the damn thing otherwise

1 - 11 of 11 Posts