Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took about 30 minutes and its real easy if you remove the clutch slave cylinder and unbolt the two big bolts on the rearset so it rotates out of the way...

My bike pulls away from stop lights with much less clutch abuse(i have two uphill stops in town that suck). The lower gears are much better around town and im not stuck lugging the motor at 30-40 mph. The Little rpm diffetence on the highway and 6th gear seems better suited at highway cruising speeds. This should have been how the bike came from the factory!

Its also torquier and the resulting gear change mimics a much peppier motor. Best $34 ive spent performance wise for sure. Everyone should do this:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Good to hear, I just got a new Hyper 1100SP and the 14 tooth pinion will probably be my next mod. Eventually I plan to go with a 520 chain and sprockets, but the $50 14 tooth front sprocket I will do before that for sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
350 miles on my Hyper and I am going to get the 14 tooth pinion ASAP.

At the speeds I'm riding at, behind cars mainly, the gearing is smack in the middle wrong. One gear down, and I'm at 4500-5000, a little high for no-load cruising, and one gear up and it's on the edge of lugging.

I think the 14 pinion will be perfect.

·
Registered
449 Posts
350 miles on my Hyper and I am going to get the 14 tooth pinion ASAP.

At the speeds I'm riding at, behind cars mainly, the gearing is smack in the middle wrong. One gear down, and I'm at 4500-5000, a little high for no-load cruising, and one gear up and it's on the edge of lugging.

I think the 14 pinion will be perfect.
14/41 will be an interesting combination, giving a final drive of around 2.92 to 1. This slightly taller than Hypermotards pre SP and EVO. I have always run 14 tooth front on my 1100s, which with the standard 42 tooth rear is a ratio of 3 to 1. Makes for lots of fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 14t sprocket arrives today so I decided to be proactive and removed the 15t last night after completing a belt change. After removing the various parts surrounding the sprocket and bending back the lock nut washer, I blocked the rear wheel to keep it from spinning and even weighed the rear stand down to keep it from lifting when applying pressure to the nut.

My god that thing is on there tight! I was literally standing on my torque wrench and couldn't get it to budge, and I'm 200lbs. I had purchased an electric impact gun last year to make winter wheel changes on the cars more efficient, but just assumed it wouldn't have enough power to use on something like this. After an hour of trying to use the torque wrench I was ready to admit defeat and contemplated trying to find someone with an air compressor etc. In a last ditch effort I broke out my electric impact gun and decided to give it a chance, fully assuming it wouldn't do anything but rattle....well, 2 quick bursts on the gun and that nut was out of there. :eek:

So, let that be a lesson to those doing this change at home, use the right tool...don't be a tool!:D

·
Registered
452 Posts
yeah! thumbs up for the 14T. Just change too! awesome!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Right now its 14/41 on my evo 1100. The surging is near gone now. But i hope to eliminate it totally. I am newbie to sprockets modification.

When i change my rear sprocket and chain. Should i still go for 41 with 525 chain?

Please advise me. thanks!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I hear of alot of riders going to a 520 setup but don't really understand why? I'm thinking it's lighter but not sure. I'm sure someone will chime in soon

·
Registered
452 Posts
I hear of alot of riders going to a 520 setup but don't really understand why? I'm thinking it's lighter but not sure. I'm sure someone will chime in soon
Yeah mate. Heard about the 520 conversion too. now waiting to see real life feedback

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i have 520 conv..do i notice a difference....not really its jus less rotating mass weight...520 kits these days are jus as strong as 525/530...if you want to save some weight on your next sprocket/chain replacement go 520 and see...also added driven quickchange/sprocket ..ti cush drives and ti bolts...

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
i have 520 conv..do i notice a difference....not really its jus less rotating mass weight...520 kits these days are jus as strong as 525/530...if you want to save some weight on your next sprocket/chain replacement go 520 and see...also added driven quickchange/sprocket ..ti cush drives and ti bolts...
Thanks for sharing. What are those wires on the hub for?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I've been running a 520 set-up for a couple of years now, its lighter with less chain drag.
Just make sure you use a good quality 520chain like a DID zvmx chain.
If you wanted to lower the gearing I would keep the 15t front sprocket, and enlarge the rear, this way there is less tension stress on the chain.
I'm running a 15/43 with a built motor, which in my case is a good combo for pickup & topend. Aloha Alex

The safety wire is so the nuts can't back off.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
My god that thing is on there tight! I was literally standing on my torque wrench
If you did that with a torque wrench it's probably out of wack now. Toss it or get it re-calibrated. Should have used a breaker bar.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think I'm going to try this on my 796. Is the 1100 and the 796 front sprocket the same? Because I can't find it. If some one can post or PM me a link where they got theirs it would be much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts