Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been through a couple Monsters, a 999S and a Hyper, soon I will have a Nicky Hayden 848 in my garage.

What are the must-have mods for the bike? The dealer will have a -1 front sprocket installed, and as time goes on I will of course get some new levers, rearsets and things like that, plus a steering damper.

My main question, is exhaust.

The one thing that I hate about Ducs is the cost of exhaust, because they almost always require an expensive ECU in order to disable the O2 sensors, so that you can spend another $350 on a Power Commander and another $250 on custom map. By the time you are done, a slipon ends up costing you two freakin grand. LOL

So, what are my best options? Stick with Termi? Can I get a Termi slipon now, and then add the header pipes later to convert it to a full system?

Does the new Power Commander V have a means of fooling the stock ECU and O2 sensors, so that I can get any slipon that I want and have my guy tune it on a dyno?

What's the best bang for the buck, and does a full system offer enough HP over a slipon to justify the doubling of the cost?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For example, can I simply slap on a set of Arrow slipons, and install a FatDuc O2 Manipulator to richen it up a tad?

·
Registered
578 Posts
For example, can I simply slap on a set of Arrow slipons, and install a FatDuc O2 Manipulator to richen it up a tad?
Yes you could do that but you wont get the same results as a full system and a PCIII. I had a Leo Vince full system on my 848 and a PCIII with custom map, the bike ran great and was much faster than a stock bike, especially under 5000 rpm. Never regretted the cost, it was worth it. To do things the right way with Ducatis costs more than Jap bikes.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes you could do that but you wont get the same results as a full system and a PCIII. I had a Leo Vince full system on my 848 and a PCIII with custom map, the bike ran great and was much faster than a stock bike, especially under 5000 rpm. Never regretted the cost, it was worth it. To do things the right way with Ducatis costs more than Jap bikes.
Ok, sounds like I should just hold off until I have the cash to do it right.

As for the O2 manipulator... any benefit to that with a stock bike? I know that Ducs run terribly lean from the factory, so would richening it up a tad make it run better/smoother?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Does the new Power Commander V have a means of fooling the stock ECU and O2 sensors, so that I can get any slipon that I want and have my guy tune it on a dyno?
Yes it does. There's a component that you can buy seperate from it called an Autotune sensor. It actually replaces (I think) the stock O2 sensor. Last I checked, they weren't available for the 848 yet. I think they're supposed to be coming out at the end of this month/beginning of next month.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I try to think of things very simply, the two things to do are get more power and reduce weight. Getting more power from a Ducati is rather expensive, a good exhaust is a great choice to start because the right one reduces weight and gives more flow from the engine (but to harness that you need to get more fuel into the engine as well). If you consider weight every time you buy a new product for your bike in not too long your bike will feel much better.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it does. There's a component that you can buy seperate from it called an Autotune sensor. It actually replaces (I think) the stock O2 sensor. Last I checked, they weren't available for the 848 yet. I think they're supposed to be coming out at the end of this month/beginning of next month.
See, that's what I would love, to be able to buy whatever slipon or full exhaust that I want, and slap a PC5 in it and have my guy do his magic.

I will keep an eye on what develops with that, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts