Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2000 996 I replaced the clutch basket with a Barnett and a new OEM hub. Installed a new Barnett clutch pack, set height to 38-38.5mm. I bled the clutch master and OEM slave cylinder. I can pull the clutch lever in and turn the pressure plate fairly easy with my other hand.

My question is the bike is still sort of clunky when going into gear... Does anyone think it is the Barnett clutch pack or would an OEM clutch pack resolve the clunky..... Curious before I maybe foolishly spend the money on an OEM pack. Thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Stack height isn't the problem.

The hydraulic actuated clutch is self adjusting. This means that the distance that the slave piston moves the pushrod doesn't change as the stack height decreases with wear (or increases with a new plate stack). Air in the line will compress and reduces pushrod movement — that's usually the problem

Any new clutch friction plate will have a few high spots so you'll get a little drag that shows itself as a "clunk" when shifting from neutral to first gear. So give it a few hundred miles to smooth itself out.

Air in the system will reduce plate separation. Early superbikes are a bitch to bleed out the air bubbles so several owners have placed the bleed nipple at the system high point to make it easier to get the last bit of air out. Just exchange the upper bolt with the lower bleeder bolt. Air bubbles rise, so putting the bleed nipple down at the system low point — is just dumb. Later bikes do it better.

The 996 clutch master cylinders have an adjustment for lever distance to the handlebar. The larger the lever distance to the bar, the longer the throw, so the more hydraulic fluid volume is moved and the greater the clutch plate separation/less drag you get.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Engage it slowly for a while. Not launch it with a lot of power, just slow your release as you up and down shift so that you wear the fuzzies off that are dragging.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has over 1000 miles on the clutch.... still clunky when going into gear.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am sure that its not you problem but anyway. How is your chain adjustment? Not to slack?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts