Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, last week I was riding my gt1000 when it suddenly missed several times and then died while on the highway. I knew my negative battery lead had been corroding and had ordered the motolectric starting kit, so I was somewhat prepared for something like this to happen. After several minutes of wiggling battery leads I brought it back to life long enough to get me home. Its been out since then. I have now installed the motolectric system and still when I hit the starter all I get is a click.
So, after cleaning all the connections I could think of today, and with it still clicking, I bridged the solinoid to see what it would do. The starter motor started but worked sluggishly and not hard enough to start the bike.

So I guess my question is, does this mean it is the starter motor, and if it is, how do I remove it?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I have now installed the motolectric system and still when I hit the starter all I get is a click.

I bridged the solinoid to see what it would do. The starter motor started but worked sluggishly and not hard enough to start the bike.

So I guess my question is, does this mean it is the starter motor, and if it is, how do I remove it?
Your starter is fine.

Your battery is f**ked. The click sound and the sluggish turnover when bridged leads me to believe the battery is done.

Buy a new battery; leave the starter/solenoid alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep the battery is toast. What can cause battery failure apart from heating and cooling? Its been really mild around here day and night, which is what made me think it wouldn't be the battery.if theres a frayed connection somewhere could that bleed power?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R/R is MOSFET and only three months old. Weird though because the batter is only a couple of months older than that

·
Registered
179 Posts
Last couple days starter has been sluggish. Put it on a battery tender, 95%. Reading 12.5 v off, 12.1 with in on position. Reading 13.3-13.8 with it idling and at 3K. Using the starter mode on my battery charger results in no change either. Finally, after a few times messing around with it without fuel pump or spark plugs in I am getting no turn at all. Took off all positive and ground terminals, inspected, sanded off corrosion, replaced, and no difference. No issue with ohm checks on cables either. Solenoid clicks and I am getting 12.4V at the starter but its not spinning. I can turn the engine over by hand so its not seized.

Time to replace the starter or should I investigate other issues?

I'm looking into rebuild kits but cant find any for the 428000-1070 (27040051A). Are the internals the same as the 428000-5021 (27040103A)?

Stockers has rebuild kits for the 5021 starter but not the 1070 starter. About $200 difference for a new one. What do they need a core for if they don't have rebuild kits for them? I'm sure they exist somewhere.
http://www.stockers.com/index.php?cd=Motorcycle%2FScooter&bd=Ducati+Motorcycle

·
Registered
693 Posts
Buy a Loadtester.True test of any battery is under load. Most auto stores will test for free as they are looking for the business. Buy yourself one of these and have no doubt.

·
Registered
179 Posts
No need. Shorted from my truck battery to the starter motor with no effect. Anyone know the ohms across the starter and ground on a good unit?

·
Vendor
479 Posts
No need. Shorted from my truck battery to the starter motor with no effect. Anyone know the ohms across the starter and ground on a good unit?
Just to be sure here,

you had a negative lead from the truck battery in contact with the engine or the frame,

along with the positive to the starter stud, correct?

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Get a known good battery in there and check, just to be sure. If the battery discharged while under the prior R/R it would be weakened. Starter batteries don't like that, it kills 'em. KISS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A very, very, very reply and nailing of my 2009 GT1000's failure to start. After 2 month in the bike shop, the problem was successfully identified as a failed/faulty fuel pressure monitor.
Hopefully, this post will save someone's time, money and grief - my fix cost many, many, many dollars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PS:
1. Missing word...should be "A very, very, very LATE reply"
2. After 2 months I got sickup and fed with no bike to ride so saturday 28/09/2019 I borrowed son #1's H 400F and with flat tires dropped it 1km from his home at the 1st roundabourt. As I was lying in hospital with the trifecta of broken tibia, fibula and ankle, the bike shop rings on the monday immediately after 28/09 to say........you guessed it "Your Ducati is fixed!!!". Laugh.....you could hear a pin drop. Just got the OK to ride again only 4 weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Jeez! Life sure throws some things at us. How are you now? I hope that you are fully mended.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been back on the Duke for 4 weeks now, but that has stopped because of COVID19 flareup in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Tropic of Cancer, Planet Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, about 25,000 light-years to the galactic center and 25,000 light-years away from the rim..... do you know this place?

WRT being fully mended:
1. leg still has big stainless steel plate with 12 ss screws in & won't be reinspected for removal until eof Sep'20.
2. loss of confidence resulting with a very gingerly approach riding, but every day, in every way.......

Thanks for asking

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Good Luck and speedy recovery Munger !😁

1 - 15 of 15 Posts