Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
could also be a materials problem... or a processing problem. Would have to have the part evaluated by a materials guy to know for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stratification on the fracture surface is a key indicator of torsional fatigue failure.
Might as well be a parts quality failure /manufacturing fault / damage / material spec issue etc., but taking into consideration that my bike is not the first and not the only one from 2013 MTS/Diavel production run affected I would say this is a serial defect. Also the fact that Ducati although have not recognized the issue at least officially but changed the spline configuration and lightened the flywheel for 2014 Monster 1200 engine adds up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Tell us about your riding style.

Do you tend to keep it in the lower RPMS and accelerate from there, using that twins' torque, or do you like to keep RPMs high?

I read once that this could be the result of "lugging" the engine. (Trying my best not to sound accusatory, this is obviously an issue they should've revisited)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been riding the bikes since 1988 including motocross so I guess I know something about torque curves and RPM vs gears. As to riding style I prefer to keep it at 5000-7000 RPM but almost never at limiter so no lugging I assume.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Tell us about your riding style.

Do you tend to keep it in the lower RPMS and accelerate from there, using that twins' torque, or do you like to keep RPMs high?

I read once that this could be the result of "lugging" the engine. (Trying my best not to sound accusatory, this is obviously an issue they should've revisited)
No lugging problem if you're over 5k... if you're routinely below 3k at higher gears and hammer the gas instead of easing it up then you may have a lugging problem. (and yea lugging could definitely cause that but it's not the ONLY thing that could cause that).

Reactions: Xyst

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regardless the riding style Ducati definitely knew about the issue but decided to play ostrich instead. No recalls/refunds AFAIK. I understand that it’s a shitload of money even for a company that big but again: it’s a typical design flaw affecting hundreds if not thousands of units/customers.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
I see a couple threads from 2018 covering this but it appears to be extremely rare… with parts designed to be as light as possible they become sensitive to material or mfg defects. I don’t think there’s evidence of any widespread problem that would justify some broad response… but I’d reach out to Ducati to see if they might do something in your specific case…

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I personally know a couple guys with the same issue. It's not an isolated case. Google "Ducati Crankshaft Failure"

·
Registered
379 Posts
It looks brittle from over hardening to me

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
I personally know a couple guys with the same issue. It's not an isolated case. Google "Ducati Crankshaft Failure"
Not suggesting it's isolated... there are definitely a few out there and the nature of the failure (and at such low mileage) definitely indicates some sort of design/manufacturing issue.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Crank that came in an engine I purchased a while ago. --1992 900SS short Crank
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Rim Auto part

• Wow
Reactions: DarrellF

·
Registered
379 Posts
For whatever it's worth every race engine I've had in my boats over the years (30 ago) busted forged cranks after so many hours of abuse and EVERY time they broke I had weird for lack of any better term harmonics that would appear @ different RPM's that were never there before? I after time hunting what I thought was a misfire or loose component lost a motor sometimes around 8000 rpm taking out the cam & block (and everything in its way) as it left it's natural habitat

Any of you guys notice a vibration before it snapped?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it snaps it snaps abruptly. Everything's normal and suddenly it shakes like a concrete mixer. That's in my case.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh my God! It hurts to look at all this kind of thing((
What can I do to prevent a similar result on my MTS 2013 GT (55000 KM)?
Recommendations?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Pull in the clutch when it ever happens

QUICKLY

1 - 20 of 25 Posts