Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know many have had issues with their first-gen hyper dash / gauges / instrument panel, and I did some searching and didn't find anything on this problem (although the solution may be the same).

Picked up a near-new 1100s w/ 1700 miles w/ 1 issue - the dash works fine when the key is on and the engine is off, but once the engine turns on, most of the "marks" on the dash go away and I can barley read the revs, speed, miles, time, etc. But then i turn the engine off, and leave the key on, the dash works perfectly again (until i turn engine on). Will try to post vid tonight.

So has anyone had this specific problem? I've seen threads where people cant read dash but figured that would be due to issues w/ the screen itself going bad, which doesn't appear to the be problem here given it works perfectly when the engine is off.

Given it was like this when i bought it from dealer, they are going to give me a new OEM dash to install, but am worried that may not fix it.

Thoughts? Also, how easy is the dash / instrument panel to replace?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok, so made a quick video of what I'm talking about here. As you can see, when the key is on w/ engine off, dash works, but as soon as engine goes on, starts to cut out. But you can see, the display improves / worsens as rpms rise and fall.

Main concern is just replacing the dash won't fix the problem, but what do you guys think? Something else electrical?

Dealership said they tried a new battery and had same problem, so shouldn't be that (plus I've left existing battery on a charger for days and no improvement).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hopefully it's in the display. Probably is or you would likely be getting errors of some kind. If not it can be a multitude of things. I'd start with the ground, followed by the wiring from the display to the ECU.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What I know about Ducati wiring wouldn't fill a shot-glass but seeing as the problem starts with the engine and gets worse with revs, it might be something to do with the alternator wiring maybe?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully it's in the display. Probably is or you would likely be getting errors of some kind. If not it can be a multitude of things. I'd start with the ground, followed by the wiring from the display to the ECU.
Agreed, guess I'll just have to pop on the new display once it comes in and see. I've checked ground and display connection, but haven't gone through wiring all the way back.

What I know about Ducati wiring wouldn't fill a shot-glass but seeing as the problem starts with the engine and gets worse with revs, it might be something to do with the alternator wiring maybe?
That's what I thought as well but given I've had the battery on a tender, I wouldn't think it would cut out immediately when the engine starts, but rather get worse as I ride it. Hope this isn't the case as I imagine the wiring to the alternator is less than accessible / simple.

Side question, anyone know if installing an OEM dash will maintain original mileage or will I have to start back at 0?

·
Registered
663 Posts
That's what I thought as well but given I've had the battery on a tender, I wouldn't think it would cut out immediately when the engine starts, but rather get worse as I ride it. Hope this isn't the case as I imagine the wiring to the alternator is less than accessible / simple.
Yeah that's why I thought it might be the wiring instead of the alternator itself, maybe shorting on something else that's connected to the dash.

Side question, anyone know if installing an OEM dash will maintain original mileage or will I have to start back at 0?
Ask your dealer, but IIRC only the dashes on newer Ducatis can be reset by the dealer. Older ones like ours, I think you'd be back at zero.

If you're absolutely desperate to get your miles lined up, I vaguely recall seeing a post about a Multi owner spoofing the speedometer to get the odo back to his 'real' mileage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It looks like the vibration from starting/running is triggering the issue which makes me think something is probably loose internally on the display. If so I'd just get a new display vice trying to troubleshoot unless your some sort of electrical tech. Good luck though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just as update, dealer replaced the dash and issue was fixed! Miles wen't back to 0 but had them put it in their system original miles at replacement and got the invoice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts