Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be sacreligious to some, but I would prefer the front shock tubes to be black, rather than the standard gold color that distinguishes them as Olin components.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be feasible to remove that part from the shocks and have it re-anodized in a black color? It would make a good winter project and the result would look much better on my Pikes Peak.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In order to re-anodize the tubes, the current gold anodizing would have to be stripped. This would result in actual dimensional changes to the tubes as the anodize penetrates the surface of the tube. I would not recommend this, as the tube to triple clamp is a close tolerance fit. I would also image the surface finish would be comprimised.
If black is what you seek, I recomend a powder coat on top of the anodised finish. This will also change the tube diminsionally by adding to the diameter, so you'll have to mask off the area that is clamped in the triple clamps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Powder coating rather than anodizing makes sense, and it is more easily done as I have someone locally who has powder coated other parts for me.

How difficult is it to remove the tube for powder coating?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I also wasn't crazy over the gold separation between the front wheel and front end. What I did was buy a set of carbon fiber covers from the guy who made them for the pikes Peak race team. John....?, I tried to find them just now on ebay, but couldn't find them listed. Like $60
[/IMG]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those covers look good and $60 is too good to be true. I assume their installation requires disassembly of the shocks.

Satin black powder coat may look best. If I go that far this winter, I may also have the Termignoni pipes thermal coated in a satin black. There are always more things to think about and throw money at with these man toys.

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
It's not that hard to remove the tubes, it's harder to get them prepped for anodizing.

You cannot powdercoat fork tubes, they won't slip through the triples. I've seen what happens when you try, not very pretty.

I've seen those CF covers and they are really nice and a super-easy option to boot. You can also vinyl wrap the tubes while they are on the bike, that's another option to think of.

My entire bike was torn apart, that's the only reason I anodized. I was going to vinyl wrap at first, after seeing a set done on another bike.

EDIT: the CF covers slip over to fork tubes, no need to disassemble.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
"I assume their installation requires disassembly of the shocks."

Nope, the Carbon Fiber covers have a split down the lengths of them. Just pull them gently apart and slip them on. I suppose they have 1/4" of a gap, I just have them on the backside so you really don't notice them. I likeeee.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
P-Cubed,

another consideration is to have your fork tubes "wrapped" in whatever 3M film color you want, matte finishes included.

See ya,

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep I went with the 3M carbon wrap, easy to apply and when you go to sell the bike peel it off to reveal brand new looking gold forks without any stone chips

1 - 9 of 9 Posts