Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 900SS was beginning to have some electrical related starting issues - weak battery, slow turn-over, etc. I have known since I bought it last year that it needed wiring work - loads of bad splices, t-taps, you name it.

I had purchased a HD wiring kit some time ago - new leads to solenoid and started, and some ground cables. Can't remember where - maybe from LT? Nice quality heavy gauge stuff, but easy enough to build on one's own.

Thought I would install it all Friday night for a group ride Saturday. I should have know better..

The terminal post on the started was super corroded, and of course I snapped the insulation spacer in the starter trying to get it off. No ride for me.

Picked up a starter brush kit from dealer, and spent all day Saturday dealing with it. Pulled the back off starter after removing oil cooler lines, and saw what a mess it was. Since the insulator cracked, starter was shorting out.

New brush kit didn't come with the insulator, so I "machined" one out of nylon. This is a temporary fix, and will make one from Delrin when I get a chance.

Serious pain in the ass to get all parts of starter aligned and back together, but I did.

The results were far better than I expected - starter spins much faster, bike fires up quickly and settles into a very clean idle.

And man, does it pull now! Easily lifts front end without trying in 1st and 2nd, and just runs better all around!

I highly recommend this to anyone that has original wiring on their bike. Again, easy to make, I was just being lazy.

There are many other areas of wiring that have issues not necessarily created by PO - jackets cracked everywhere, exposed copper here and there, corroded connections, and some molex plugs that are crumbling. All of this on a bike that was reasonably well cared for by component Ducati shops.

Moral - check all your wiring, and make a plan to replace or repair as needed.

Cheers

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Interesting that the starter would allow you additional power to have the front end come up in 1st & 2nd gear? Sure it's not your imagination :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hah, yeah, when I hit the starter while rolling it makes +25 hp!

Nah, just that there was soooo much corrosion in places like the ground post on the frame, that voltage had to have been reduced to key components. I changed nothing but wiring, and all aspects of running have improved.

Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
I bought a kit. You're right, could have made it myself but I do feel like factory ends are better than mine. My starter post twisted, even though I knew it would and thought I could prevent it. Installed a used starter as I didn't want to play around with the old one. I'll fix it for a spare at some point. The first starter they sent me, they had cut off the cable rather than taking it off, because they knew what would happen ! They did send a second one with the cable removed. I also made an additional cable to run between the battery negative ground and the engine ground behind the right footpeg mount. I can only guess why this helps, but it does. Probably cost a dollars worth of stuff I had laying around, so before you tell me this won't do any good, just try it. Make sure you are on clean bare metal with both ends of all ground wires, no painted surfaces. Grease your threads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts