Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be of interest to general readers, but may be a whole lot more to a few -- those who were members!

Back in 1994, a bit before the World Wide Web went wild, a bunch of Ducati riders in Boston, MA, area started an "internet mailing list" -- the precusor to such things as social media and the forums we know today. We'd communicate with one-another via this new medium, plan rides, and eventually created a "club" of sorts.

Since the whole computer/internet thing was very new and very hip, we decided to use a then new and exciting computer acronym -- "CD-ROM" -- as a name, and came up with Crazed Ducati-Riders of Massachusetts.

When the "web page" concept appeared CD-ROM jumped on to that new media and created what some say was the first web motorcycle group. (Motorcyclist and Cycle World magazines each did short pieces crediting CD-ROM as such)

CD-ROM had monthly scheduled rides. But after a series of "waiting for the ambulance to arrive" experiences, and partially out of fear of legal liability, changed over to what we called morning "ogle fests" -- meetups for breakfast followed by 'tire kicking' sessions, where members could (and often did) go out in groups large and small under their own responsibility.

As I say, all of this is history from what in some respects, although only 20 years ago, was a very different world.

Ducatis then were quite rare. Riding one was an especially exciting thing. And getting 15, 20 or more of them in one place was a real, real wowser.

I'm posting this because of a cool find: That via the "Way Back Machine" CD-ROM's now long gone website is once again seeable on the web, here: CD-ROM.org

If any old CD-ROM members are here on the forum and take note of this posting do check out that link. It'll no doubt arouse some fun memories! Too, I'd love to hear some of your memories.

And, yes, I certainly have some of my own I could share! :)

-Don

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,469 Posts
I remember CD-ROM and rode with a few members over the years. This was actually before I ever owned a Duc myself. I was part of another group, SRNE (Sport Riders of New England) and we would cross paths frequently. The old Moto Market in Acton seemed to be an active hangout/meetup spot.

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
1994... thanks for making me feel old :smile2:.

On the internet side of the thread - that was the year I became one of a handful of non-academics in the country with "high speed" internet. I was on the beta team for the first cable internet rollout (Elmira NY). The internet was a far different place then, the web was in its infancy. And 'high speed' at that time was in the megabit per second'ish range, sometimes a couple megabit, more often more like 512kbit... and fairly often nothing (as they worked out issues).

Had little one's at that point so no motorcycles for me.

Reactions: DUCeditor

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,469 Posts
There is one guy I remember in particular. Chuck Something-or-other Italian last name. He was a lawyer from the Boston area. He had a very aggressive in your face attitude and rode that way, too.

We were on a ride and he had way too many questionable passes and the group confronted him about it. Well, he didn't like anyone questioning his riding style and the shouting match began. I wonder what ever happened to him. I know our group refused to ride with the guy after that.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I remember CD-ROM and rode with a few members over the years. This was actually before I ever owned a Duc myself. I was part of another group, SRNE (Sport Riders of New England) and we would cross paths frequently. The old Moto Market in Acton seemed to be an active hangout/meetup spot.
There is one guy I remember in particular. Chuck Something-or-other Italian last name. He was a lawyer from the Boston area. He had a very aggressive in your face attitude and rode that way, too.

We were on a ride and he had way too many questionable passes and the group confronted him about it. Well, he didn't like anyone questioning his riding style and the shouting match began. I wonder what ever happened to him. I know our group refused to ride with the guy after that.

I remember riding with you guys! One really fun day on Rt 2 towards the western part of the state. Must have been 30 or so bikes!

And yes, I also remember the incident you mention. Coming upon a near altercation in progress and feeling responsible to do what I could to cool things down.

In my original post I mentioned the "waiting for an ambulance" scenarios. After several of those a few of the founding members started taking "bets" as to who would go down next -- and "Chuck" as you call him was often mentioned. (And yes, if memory serves, that prediction was eventually fulfilled although by then I, too, was avoiding riding with him.

It was after the third ride in a row where we had to deal with waiting for an ambulance that we switched over to the 'ogle fest' approach. After that I personally chose my riding companions with great care and never had an "ambulance delay" again.

On one of the later full-group rides speed kept getting faster and faster, and when 100 MPH was reached I, who was then about 2/3rds back in the pack, let up on the throttle, pulled to the right, and let the group go ahead.

I found that two other riders had chosen to do the same and after that the three of us became a regular Post Ogle-fest ride group. Their names were Mark and Chris. (Another that regularly rode with our little band was named George.)

I'd love to hear from any and all of them. So many good memories of really great times together.

Thank you, Yorik, for sharing your own!

-Don

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
That's neat. Cool memories.

I was a member of D.I.O.C. in the early '80s. (Ducati Int Owners Club) It was administered out of some Cuban mailman's house in Miami.

We had a meeting at a campground in Chattanooga in '82. Only 25 or 30 peeps showed up, but a few more rode in for the Saturday ride. The campground was actually south of Chattanooga in Flintstone Georgia. I rode a 750GT down from the Akron area and camped out at a local motel.

We rode across Georgia to Helen, then looped back through Cherokee and visited Deal's Gap. No store, no t-shirts, just a fun ride.

We only put one bike in the ditch that day, an FLH that came with some Florida guys. We stopped and pushed him out twice actually. His floorboards kept him from completing the hairpins.:laugh: Water was running out of his top case. Turns out he had 3 cases of beer iced down in there.

Made me want to move to north Georgia it did..

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
That's neat. Cool memories.

I was a member of D.I.O.C. in the early '80s. (Ducati Int Owners Club) It was administered out of some Cuban mailman's house in Miami.

<snip>

No store, no t-shirts, just a fun ride.
DIOC had t-shirts, in later years anyway. I've probably still got mine somewhere.

Bevel Heaven has a complete(?) set of newsletters in DVD form IIRC.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
DIOC had t-shirts, in later years anyway. I've probably still got mine somewhere.

Oh yeah, I bought a few shirts from Joel at Daytona in '82. But in September '82 when we rolled through Deals Gap there was no store, it was closed.Just an old restaurant.

Bevel Heaven has a complete(?) set of newsletters in DVD form IIRC.
I've got some old DIOC newsletters in a box out in the bike barn. '81 to '88 or so...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hmmm, 1994, eh? Well, perhaps because I'm an academic, I have a bit different view of the internet. It was about 10 years prior to that when I first started on the Internet. Of course, it was all Unix based back then, but there were quite a few active newsgroups and mailing lists around. There was a group of autocrossers who formed a "virtual club" back then known as Team.Net - and remnants of that are still around.

I guess I'm showing my age, though.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I do recall the CD-ROM club, but I don't recall if I was an official member on-line or not. Definitely did not go on any rides with the group.

That said, I was one of the original members of "IMOC" (1984?) . We used to meet in Westminster, MA once a month at the VFW. I recall some members of J.Giles attending one of the early meetings.

Now I'm showing MY age!

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
, I was one of the original members of "IMOC" (1984?) . We used to meet in Westminster, MA once a month at the VFW. I recall some members of J.Giles attending one of the early meetings.

Now I'm showing MY age!
I remember IMOC. Had a yearly large "show" in, was it Sturbridge, MA? Lotsa good people there as I remember. :)

-don

·
Hammer Down
1,664 Posts
Cool stuff.

"Ducatis then were quite rare. Riding one was an especially exciting thing. And getting 15, 20 or more of them in one place was a real, real wowser."

I suppose Ducs are still rare compared to some other brands but the brand has really grown in the last 10 years or so it seems.

·
Super Moderator
5,119 Posts
What about the Mountain Dogs? I got a couple coffee mugs from our local DOC (NEDOC) swag table with the Mountain Dog logo. I was told they were a NH centric club.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool stuff.

"Ducatis then were quite rare. Riding one was an especially exciting thing. And getting 15, 20 or more of them in one place was a real, real wowser."

I suppose Ducs are still rare compared to some other brands but the brand has really grown in the last 10 years or so it seems.

To illustrate their rarity back then... During the Summer of 1995 I read that there was going to be a Ferrari-centric lawn event at the Larz Auto Museum in Brookline Mass. So I got up early, did some fun back-roading on my then new 900SS, and then headed to the event getting there a bit before lunch time.

I parked my bike near a fence just outside of the exhibit area and by the time I got my gear off I was approached by several guys from inside. "Wow! Would you be willing to bring that in to be part of the show?" I agreed and the led me inside (with a growing crowd in our wake) directing me to a place between two Testarossas. For the test of the afternoon I fielded question about the bike and over and over again started it up because this motorhead crowd knew how great Ducati were supposed to sound and just couldn't let the opportunity of hearing one pass by.

By the end of the afternoon my battery was nearly dead from the frequent start-ups.

Yes, those were the days!

Oh, and that "could you please start it up so I/we can hear it" was then a pretty common thing. Not just at auto shows, but even when I'd from time to time take a break from my ride to get a cup of coffee.

-don

[/URL][/IMG]​

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts