Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Now I'm no expert but if I had a guess, I'd say the amount of Ducatis that have had the fortunate gradeur of riding in an a used horse trailer were there were once hay and other expendable things has been very slim. So slim in fact a betting man might even say most owners would naturally cringe at the very thought of it. :D

Replacing my enclosed trailer with an old horse trailer has been something I've been thinking about doing the past couple of years. Why? Well, instead of questioning my sanity and perhaps even going so far as to being concerned about the Ducati's protection, its owner has an affliction for oddball things, especially pertaining to the vintage. So as unbelievable as it may sound to most, a classic horse trailer from the 70s fits into that category. Second, while an old horse trailer is a bit crude around the edges compared to refined Haulmark Low Hauler, an old horse trailer is built like a tank compared to any enclosed cargo trailer which was the other 50% of the reasoning for doing this. Yes, the trailer will be used for hauling much heavier things than the Ducati that I also want to also keep enclosed. After about a year of searching for the right candidate, I found this nice old Circle D that's been my weekend project this past winter.

Anyway, big day today as I finally got a motorcycle or three tested fitted in it. Still more work to go of course but seeing the Ducati in there for the first time was fun. :)

Reactions: egomexico and Pard

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I thought about it until I realized how incredibly heavy those trailers are. That’s definitely going to affect fuel mileage . It will be like an anchor back there going through the mountains. I actually went the other way. First I had a dual axle bike trailer but decided I was pulling too much weight that I didn’t need. I sold it and bought a single axle enclosed trailer.

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D

Cummins diesel.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I thought about it until I realized how incredibly heavy those trailers are. That’s definitely going to affect fuel mileage . It will be like an anchor back there going through the mountains. I actually went the other way. First I had a dual axle bike trailer but decided I was pulling too much weight that I didn’t need. I sold it and bought a single axle enclosed trailer.
Same here. I considered a horse trailer until I looked at one. I skipped the dual axle trailer right off the bat as all I ever intend to haul are motorcycles. At least in my Haulmark.
Cummins diesel.
Climbing up out of SLC, Utah you'll find that weight is still a big factor. My 3/4 ton Chevy with full tow package dealt with the grade and my trailer full of bikes without issue....but there were plenty of diesels struggling to maintain speed and get up that grade.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Same here. I went and looked at a horse trailer and thought the same thing. Load of unnecessary weight. I went with the single axle also. Mostly for ease of manuever when not on a hitch but also for weight.

I tow with a 3/4 ton Chevrolet with a full tow package. It does just fine in the mountains. The climb up out of SLC, Utah is a real bizatch and the Chevy dealt with both the grade and the load without a hiccup...but I passed several diesels stuggling to maintain speed and climb up. I'm not saying yours will, but there are more factors to consider than just the engine.....sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts