Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First among the lessons learned was an affirmation to ensure I pay much more attention to the calendar when booking future track days. A quick glance reassured me that the 5th was a Friday, followed by a weather check, yup should be a beautiful sunny day in a week's time. Bewdy, slap down my 2 hundy….

….only to realise a few days later that the 5th was actually a Sunday, and the forecast was writ large in the pictogram showing thunderstorms/rain/lightning: I'd looked at the current month rather than the next month. It pretty much renders worthless any assurances to your better half that you won't do anything stupid.

As it turned out the thunderstorms didn't roll in until well into the afternoon and I was kangaroo-Edward (roo-ted) by that time so no bother.

Next lesson: when selecting from your 2 sets of sprockets (Marvic wheels on 749R, Marchesini on 851/926) take, oooooh I dunno, half a second (?) or so to ensure you actually put the right set in your spares tub. Yup, found I was in between gears on a few corners and barely hooking 6th on the main drag, checked I had a 38T to replace the 37T rear sprocket, removed wheel, removed sprocket and only then did I realise my mistake. Queue white knuckles on a ratchet lest it helicopter across the pit bay.

Next lesson: a 12kg spring on a 749R shock is just too hard. I've been faffing around for far too long playing with preload, pressures, damping etc in an effort to stop burning rear tyres at what is a very right-centric track (5 rights, 1 left, plus a chicane). It's better but I just need to bite the bullet and change the damn spring, the tyre is just being asked to do too much work with the stiff spring, even with the axle all the way back. I have a 9.75kg and 11.5kg available, and I'm thinking the 9.75kg is the better bet.

This isn't helped by taking weight out of the bike. I took the opportunity to run the lil' red tractor over the track scales on the way out:

Above = combined weight of me and bike
Minus my weight:

Equals 172kg's. I got home and drained the fuel, expecting maybe a couple of litres, but found almost exactly 4L, so 3kg's. So ready to roll, with an empty tank =169kg.

Next learning: tank anti-slosh foam actually works. I'd run it at a previous track day some time ago at a slower nadgery circuit that doesn't really have heavy braking zones, but this track had some serious anchor work and the foam really made a noticeable difference. You could bury the front end and there was none of that "on tippy toes" type feeling. I'm well out of practice and suffering a crisis of confidence but hitting my old markers seemed entirely uneventful rather than a white knuckle affair. It's a Ducati, it's not often I can say "money well spent" let alone such a small amount of money to make a marked improvement. The only slight downside is it makes it hard to judge fuel level, hence I still had 4L left at the end of the last session but it's an easy problem to sort.

Next learning: Terblanche's 749/999 design is based on old 30's art deco trains. It is entirely accidental but the way the seat cups your arse is also reminiscent of a 30's riding style. As soon as you try and hang off you find the leading edge of the tail fairing (where it wraps around the seat) wedged in your klacker….maybe that's why the vents are there? I fitted an RS tail/seat a while back but it's virtually the same shape as the OEM setup. Funny, I've had the ol' girl for 8-ish years, but I've really only noticed it after coming back to it after a break. Maybe it's riding the 851 which is much skinnier in the bum with a flatter seat that makes it more obvious, I dunno:

So it looks like I'll be learning the ancient art of foam shaping somewhere in my future.

The last thing isn't so much a learning as a "nice to know": I may be a +50 ol' bugger still going round and round in circles, I really should know better, but at least I'm not alone. Enjoying the company of another old bloke pitted next to me on an R1M, which he certainly knew how to use, reminded me that growing older doesn't have to mean growing up.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Fun update! I keep a track day check list (which I never use) in my track log book (which I never update), so I feel your pain.
I really like the 749/999 too (I've got 2), but the tractor seat is a bit odd when hanging off. For the most part, I like the overall design. But, Pierre did stray a bit from form following function in some areas. All in all, though, it's a great bike, particularly in track config.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fun update! I keep a track day check list (which I never use) in my track log book (which I never update), so I feel your pain.
I really like the 749/999 too (I've got 2), but the tractor seat is a bit odd when hanging off. For the most part, I like the overall design. But, Pierre did stray a bit from form following function in some areas. All in all, though, it's a great bike, particularly in track config.
View attachment 989794
2 of 'em? You sir, are a man of uncommonly good taste, lol. And beautiful bike, you've got some tasty stuff goin' on there.

Yes, one of those old steel tractor seat pans is exactly what it feels like! Funny that it has only really struck me after all this time: sharp as a bowling ball, me.

Glad you folks had a laugh. Yup, if you ever find yourself overwhelmed by options just pop on over, check out what ever it is that I'm too far into to back out of, and cross it off your list.

For the next instalment of "Idjits in Action" tune in next week where we come to the realisation that surgery on a 749R frame is completely superfluous....but do it anyway:

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
"...we come to the realisation that surgery on a 749R frame is completely superfluous....but do it anyway".

What's up princess, you're not braking hard enough or cornering fast enough to over flex the frame?!?

Fwiw, I've done and am considering similarly superfluous mods.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha. Nah, just a bit of fun, although it didn’t seem like it once I started making the frame/tube connections with only an “Armstrong” milling machine:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts