Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just purchased a 2007 S4RS and it needs a new tank. I know the previous owners and this will be the 2nd replacement tank - first one was done at no charge - the dealer is telling me that I have to pay the hour and half labor ($150) to have it installed and they won't let me do it myself. Anybody been charged to have their tank 'replaced'?

·
Bon Vivant
10,200 Posts
I just purchased a 2007 S4RS and it needs a new tank. I know the previous owners and this will be the 2nd replacement tank - first one was done at no charge - the dealer is telling me that I have to pay the hour and half labor ($150) to have it installed and they won't let me do it myself. Anybody been charged to have their tank 'replaced'?
That's total bullshit, tell them to show you in something official in writing where it says that labor isn't covered when replacing a fuel tank for defects.

Tell them you'll call the BBB or the local news and see what they have to say.
Hey, Call Ducati NA customer service... No, call the state dealership board. here's the number 512.479.0425

Better yet, go to another dealership. Man, I don't get how these guys think they they can screw everybody. It's a fucking warranty :mad:

If labor's not included they cant force you to use them. :think: I know I'd be in there throwin a shit attack. God I'm glad we have a good dealership around here.

Hell. I know what it is, Ducati probably pays a half hour and they want an hour and a half to do the work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's total bullshit, tell them to show you in something official in writing where it says that labor isn't covered when replacing a fuel tank for defects.

Tell them you'll call the BBB or the local news and see what they have to say.
Hey, Call Ducati NA customer service... No, call the state dealership board. here's the number 512.479.0425

Better yet, go to another dealership. Man, I don't get how these guys think they they can screw everybody. It's a fucking warranty :mad:

If labor's not included they cant force you to use them. :think: I know I'd be in there throwin a shit attack. God I'm glad we have a good dealership around here.

Hell. I know what it is, Ducati probably pays a half hour and they want an hour and a half to do the work.
I already contacted Zduc NA (via web site) and got a reply from Italy that it has been forwarded to the appropriate dept. The dealer has a great reputation - never heard of any issues so this really suprised me - will be interesting to see what the final outcome is - if it's not satisfactory I'll be shopping

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you guys about the need to object. I will. Why would I want an f'n warranty and not a fix?

That said, you guys know that this is going nowhere. As someone said, the deal is stacked against us. Maybe there will be 100 objections. Big deal. There will be thousands where it will be put on the back burner and the important parties will get it just the way they intended. Non respondents side with the settlement. Law office happy and PM SpA happy that they contained the potential loss. Who's left now to complain? Game over.

The economy in most places stinks and has stunk for years. I can understand that they want to stop the bleeding, but I don't think this will do them any good in the long run. Maybe they don't care about the long run.

There's another chapter to go in here:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducati-motorcycle-chat/48830-ducati-sold-performance-motorcycles-spa-taken-private.html
You couldn't be more wrong.

The linked article shows how 1 woman completely stopped in its tracks a proposed US Coast Guard regulation ( as part of the CFR ). Now, that's an administrative action as opposed to a judicial action but nevertheless it proves that objecting does work if you do it correctly.

coordinate a uniform objection response and offer it up for people to copy / paste etc. It's a few minutes of your life - probably less than would be involved than reading the posts in this thread ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got the letter about the settlement. I've got a 2008 1098 and have not had any issue with my tank. I guess I'll just keep silent. But getting a metal tank would be cool.
Edit: I didn't even read the settlement paper.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
^ this. not sure how much or how little it factored into my own buying/selling decisions but one thing is for certain, there are no Ducatis in my garage for the first time in over five years.

they need to get it together, and just not on the fuel tank front.
You were one of the guys I was talking about Obie! Happy Thanksgiving BTW!

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I think you have to be realistic here. You're not the original owner, and speaking as someone who's been in both motorcycle and automotive business, if you aren't buying new from their dealers you simply aren't on their radar and don't matter that much. Ducati are interested in selling new Ducati's, not facilitating the sale of used ones, period.

In this case, you're not the original owner, and you've got a bike that's at least three years out of factory warranty. Ducati have agreed to give you a new tank, which probably has a list price of $1500-2000, and asking you to pay $150. Personally I'd be thrilled to death, and as someone who has worked with many brands I can tell you that the vast majority of manufacturers would do absolutely nothing for you.

As I've posted in other threads about this issue, I've found Ducati to me incredibly responsive on a case-by-case basis in addressing these tank issues, and the post I've replied to is yet another example. The fear I have is that this class-action settlement establishes a "on size fits all" resolution to a complicated issue, and now Ducati will simply point to the settlement and comply to the minimum requirements of it.

My disappointment is that there still doesn't appear to be any fix for this and most of their current models being sold today will have similar failures. I love my Multistrada 1200, and the general consensus when I bought it at the beginning of the year was that it wouldn't be an issue for this model. It appears that wasn't true, and I'm not sure I would have bought it if I thought this was something I would have to potentially deal with, as my intention was to keep this bike for a long time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think you have to be realistic here. You're not the original owner, and speaking as someone who's been in both motorcycle and automotive business, if you aren't buying new from their dealers you simply aren't on their radar and don't matter that much. Ducati are interested in selling new Ducati's, not facilitating the sale of used ones, period.

In this case, you're not the original owner, and you've got a bike that's at least three years out of factory warranty. Ducati have agreed to give you a new tank, which probably has a list price of $1500-2000, and asking you to pay $150. Personally I'd be thrilled to death, and as someone who has worked with many brands I can tell you that the vast majority of manufacturers would do absolutely nothing for you.

As I've posted in other threads about this issue, I've found Ducati to me incredibly responsive on a case-by-case basis in addressing these tank issues, and the post I've replied to is yet another example. The fear I have is that this class-action settlement establishes a "on size fits all" resolution to a complicated issue, and now Ducati will simply point to the settlement and comply to the minimum requirements of it.

My disappointment is that there still doesn't appear to be any fix for this and most of their current models being sold today will have similar failures. I love my Multistrada 1200, and the general consensus when I bought it at the beginning of the year was that it wouldn't be an issue for this model. It appears that wasn't true, and I'm not sure I would have bought it if I thought this was something I would have to potentially deal with, as my intention was to keep this bike for a long time.
I would agree if that there was their policy and others had to pay the labor but I have yet to find one person who paid for their replacement and the settlement does not differentiate between original purchaser or present owner. If Ducati ever wants me to buy new they had better do the right thing or I will be excluding them from my shopping list. I've owned over 15 bikes in the past 25 years (worked myself in the industry) and the majority of them have been purchased new but there are dealships I will never set foot in again because of bad attitude or service.
I have no problem if Ducati comes back and says labor is not included but that had better be the way it's handled across the board. Why keep a bike that is only going to be covered for 18 months after the final settlement - it will kill resale and Ducati prides themselves on that - resale values will drop by $2K (cost of a metal replacement) across the board - basically if Ducati doesn't FIX the problem sales will falter.
Would you buy a vehicle if you knew that for 2 years a known recurring problem would be fixed but after that it's on your dime? Judging from the rest of your response you wouldn't either.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I've never paid one cent for warranty work or recalls on any of my vehicles.

My dealer wouldn't have a problem with me pulling the tank, undressing it, and bringing it in for exchange. Why? Because Ducati pays the dealer labor to change out the tank, and he can just pocket that labor money without using shop time or paying a tech.

Charging $150 on top of the warranty labor allowance is just bogus. Ask the dealer to show you the factory service bulletin. It will spell out exactly what the procedure is, and will specify how much the dealer gets for labor.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
You need to re-read the post. It is neither recall nor warranty work. It is goodwill, and Ducati is giving him a new tank that probably has a list price of nearly $2,000, though they have absolutely no legal obligation to do so. These aren't difficult concepts to grasp, yet these threads keep getting sidetracked by this kind of white noise that doesn't add anything and serves only as a distraction.

I suggest that instead of grandstanding and finger pointing about who should pay for what, that some of you actually read your Ducati warranty as well as the settlement proposal. Words like warranty, recall, and service bulletin are thrown around in these arguments with little or no regard to what they mean. This thread should be to discuss the pros and cons of the proposal and help clarify what it all means, not obfuscate the issue with irrelevant anecdotes.

I've never paid one cent for warranty work or recalls on any of my vehicles.

My dealer wouldn't have a problem with me pulling the tank, undressing it, and bringing it in for exchange. Why? Because Ducati pays the dealer labor to change out the tank, and he can just pocket that labor money without using shop time or paying a tech.

Charging $150 on top of the warranty labor allowance is just bogus. Ask the dealer to show you the factory service bulletin. It will spell out exactly what the procedure is, and will specify how much the dealer gets for labor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You need to re-read the post. It is neither recall nor warranty work. It is goodwill, and Ducati is giving him a new tank that probably has a list price of nearly $2,000, though they have absolutely no legal obligation to do so. These aren't difficult concepts to grasp, yet these threads keep getting sidetracked by this kind of white noise that doesn't add anything and serves only as a distraction.

I suggest that instead of grandstanding and finger pointing about who should pay for what, that some of you actually read your Ducati warranty as well as the settlement proposal. Words like warranty, recall, and service bulletin are thrown around in these arguments with little or no regard to what they mean. This thread should be to discuss the pros and cons of the proposal and help clarify what it all means, not obfuscate the issue with irrelevant anecdotes.
Correct it is not warranty or recall YET (though some are contending it is an emissions warranty issue) but it is a proposed class action suit settlement - they face a class action suit that could go against Ducati that WOULD result in a recall - they are trying to come up with an acceptable solution. My whole point is that there appears to be inconsistancies regarding the labor to change tanks - has Ducati changed their tune or is this a specific dealer changing their approach. According to the dealer (who has replaced other tanks including one on this bike at no charge) Ducati has told them now that labor will not be included. I hope to find out from Duc NA next week (actually Italy acknowledged my inquiry) and I plan on checking two other dealers tomorrow to see what they say.
Bottom line is I will get a new tank regardless but depending on what the final court ruling is will determine if I want to keep the bike. No way if this keeps happening and after the 18 month period after the class action suit is settled it's ALL on the owners dime - resale will drop by whatever the cost is of whatever company creates a metal tank or solution - I'm hearing the coating solution isn't 100% fullproof.

·
Bon Vivant
10,200 Posts
I apologize for the tone of anger and profanity in my post. That was uncalled for. :(

I would understand if Ducati denied the warranty claim if it's out of warranty. But I don't think this is Ducati in this case - this is the dealer asking for payment for a claim that Ducati is agreeing to cover. That's where my objection is, I believe this case to be nothing more than the dealer's greed; another case of a dealership squeezing the customer for more money.

And if you've been in the business you know this happens a lot more than it should.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I apologize for the tone of anger and profanity in my post. That was uncalled for. :(

I would understand if Ducati denied the warranty claim if it's out of warranty. But I don't think this is Ducati in this case - this is the dealer asking for payment for a claim that Ducati is agreeing to cover. That's where my objection is, I believe this case to be nothing more than the dealer's greed; another case of a dealership squeezing the customer for more money.

And if you've been in the business you know this happens a lot more than it should.
Exactly. And that's why I'd like to see the bulletin that Ducati without a doubt sent to its dealers detailing the procedure for replacing tanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Spoke to another dealer in the area and they siad they will replace it without charging labor - their exact comment was "Ducati pays us enought to replace the tank that we don't need to charge for labor". I will contact the original dealer Monday and tell then to ship the tank back or they can save Duc NA some shipping costs by sending it over to the other dealer.
Looks to me like the first dealer was just trying to maske some $$ off the deal - I won't be shopping in their store again for anything.
Rather than badmouth anyone on here if you PM me I will tell you who tried to charge and who is doing it on Duc's dime.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 2nd warranty tank will be in this week and installed. My letter to disagree has already been typed up and printed out to mail. I chose to wait on my new tank to arrive before I mail out my objections to this settlement. I will be Caswell coating my tank and excluding myself from their agreement, keeping my right to bring suit later. I think everyone involved should write their letter of disapproval. Think about the resell value of the bike you own when a new buyer has to replace a 2000 dollar tank every year after warranty, think about your own pocket if you chose to keep the bike after your warranty, think about the very brand that you choose to be loyal too, turning your loyalty away like it is not important so that they can save a few dollars by not re-designing these problem tanks. This is simply a band-aid fix and it just doesnt sit well with me.

As for charging labor...i am on my 2nd "goodwill" tank and i have not paid out of pocket for any tank replacement.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I spoke with both the attorneys for the class action suit and with Ducati NA customer service today. Duc NA confirmed they pay the dealers the book rate for the labor to replace the tank so no one should be being charged for labor to replace a tank. They attorney confirmed that labor is included in the class action settlement so absolutely once that is approved by the court no one will be charged labor for the replacment. I informed Duc NA the name of the dealer who was in my opinion trying to double charge for the labor. We shall see what happens there.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
At this point we only have a settlement proposal, so for now anything above and beyond an actual warranty replacement is goodwill, either by Ducati NA, the authorized dealer, or both. I'm glad Frisco found a dealer who was willing to change his tank at no charge. I'm sure it has been a pretty frustrating experience.

It seems to me that the federal emissions warranty would only come into play if the tank were actually leaking, not for simply cosmetic issues or issues of poor fit.

I'm sure Ducati is as frustrated as we are with this issue. I think considering Ducati is a relatively small company, and this problem literally exists in nearly every model they've made since the early 2000's, they've done a pretty respectable job of handling things on a case-by-case basis. I've never heard of anyone who had a legitimate claim, whether in or out of warranty, that they didn't try to accomodate. I do know guys who had to push hard to get satisfaction, and there were a lot of "we supply the tank, you pay the labor", but I haven't seen anyone who was told to piss off by Ducati.

The big frustration here is the lack of a permanent solution, and this is the thing that will do real long-term harm to the brand if not addressed. Ducati has been one of the few bright spots over the past few years in an industry that has been devastated by the recent economy, and it would be a shame to see so much progress undone by an issue like this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Last update from me - turns out the dealer who was going to charge was mis-informed by Duc NA - labor is NOT to be charged - the entire replacement is free of charge. They apologized and are making it right with me to keep my business (50% discount of a new Panigale Tricolore - I wish :D ) - just kidding of course , they are taking care of me and the owner called me personally to explain what happened. Duc NA even called to make sure I was having them do the replacement. So all is well in the metroplex.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts