Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been having a problem finding amber bulbs for the Clear Alternatives clear signal lenses. It is a common size in a clear 10w bulb, R10W 12V 10W BA15S ECE or 12814 (I believe).

A local bike shop (Bent Bike) had amber bulbs, but they were 23w, made the lcd flash and tach jump when in use at idle, and were pricey at $3.75 each. Not good.

Cycle Gear had no bulbs in their store.

Asking at NAPA, they directed me to a hobby shop for amber paint and said others have done this in the past for hard to find amber bulbs.

The paint I used was Tamiya X-26 clear orange. Two quick coats seemed to match the other amber bulbs that I had. It was great as the bottle recommended water clean-up, which was easy. I was also out the door for less than $5 with two brushes and enough paint for a lifetime of amber bulbs.

The look with the lens on was excellent. I’m going to keep an eye on it for a while as this paint isn’t typically used for light bulbs. ;)

As I had a hard time even determining the bulb part number, until now, I will post this in the equivalent parts thread, if others agree.

Have a good one.

·
7,733 Posts
I had a heck of a time getting amber turn signal bulbs for my ST3 and ended-up ordering them from the Ducati dealership. I tried orange engine paint, thinking it will take the heat :), and that worked okay, but the visibility was poor compared to the amber bulb, so if that paint you're trying holds up over the long run, it will be a very helpful alternative indeed. :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear. I will attempt some pics with manual settings to demonstrate. I'm using one of the ambers supplied with the clear lens kit and one painted bulb just for this purpose.

The hobby shop had another 'amber turn signal paint' for plastic models that was not 'clear.' With two coats of the Tamiya paint, I can still see through the bulb. One coat had great coverage, but way too light.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Folks,

I was out looking at the setup and realized I quoted the wrong color in the original post. I used X-24 (clear yellow).

Sorry about that.

The painted bulb seems to be holding up well. I'll post a series of pics this weekend.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Alright, I am really happy with the results. Here are some pics.

The first is the original left Clear Alternatives turn signal from desmotimes.

The second is my first try at painting clear bulbs. It is one of the original bulbs that was under the yellow lenses that came with the Duc.

I shot these first two on manual mode with the same settings.

The third is a pic of the original in the mount.

The forth is a pic of the painted in the mount.

The fifth is a group shot of two new ones, the painted one, and the original.

I shot the last three in aperture mode with a weak flash.

The first painted one had two coats of the Tamiya paint that was shaken. Notice the bubbles that didn't go away while drying. With the new ones, I stirred the paint instead of shaking. There are no visible blemishes. So unlike Mr Bond, I'll have these stirred, not shaken. =P

I did use three coats on the new bulbs.

After this experience, I am going to remove the amber lens from the front turn signals and paint them also for the "modern" look. ;)

Have a good one.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts