Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a chance to ride my Ducati along w/ another member and his Ducati 999 and couple of.....well....Honda's.:) Man that CBR 1000 RR is FAAAST! to New Jersey Motorsport Park to watch qualifying today. Saw Larry Pegram, Hacking, May, Yates, Esling.....and a bunch more. They are all very accessible. We had a great conversation w/ Hodgson, what a personality! My friend got a great pic of himself and Kevin Schwantz, I saw Earl Hayden and later he nearly ran me over on his pit bike going to see Tommy qualify. Also had a chance to visit Ducati Island for a couple free bottles of ice cold water.....what a great place. I have to say after watching Mladin take a few laps there is no doubt he is just faster than everybody else, it's really unbelieveable....boy does his Suzuki shriek down the track. Speaking of sound, Pegrams big Ducati 1198 just sounds so cool....a deep, loud, booming note that makes the other bikes, except the Buell, sound like a toy....wow what a sound.....the Yamaha R1 has an interesting exhaust note, but nothing...nothing compares to the Ducati 1198R Superbike! It's really amazing just how fast all these bikes are, TV does not capture the speed of bikes and translate it to the home screen-just astonishing! Oh, I saw Greg White of Speed TV...he sat down in front of me at the Ducati grand stands. Very interesting, funny and knowledgeable guy regarding all the goings on w/ AMA road racing.
All in all a great day of watching AMA road racing-the practicing, privateers,factory teams, the qualifying.....might go back for the weekend, if not it will be cool watching it on SPEED TV!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was also at the race on Sunday.. What a great time!! I guess the most noticeable things seeing the races live are... 1..How fast they're really going..(TV doesn't do it justice)..and 2... How flippin loud it is!! Waaay cool!!
Ducati had a pretty decent booth setup.. I was there at 7am Sunday and after talking to one of the Duc booth workers, he came out out with a t-shirt and kickstand holder for me..Pretty Cool!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was there both Saturday and Sunday. It was so nice to see the pro's race close to home. This was my first pro race event. I've been to Daytona but i never went in to watch the races.

NJMP needs more grandstands, but preferably from outside the track.
Sitting at the entry of the first chicane and trying to watch the bikes go up wheelie hill was impossible due to the placement of the "Ducati Grandstands"

The vendors were all over and it was nice to be at a bike event that had sport bike and protective racing gear. looking at all the awesome Ducati bikes that parked over by Ducati Island was Fantastic.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was also at the race on Sunday.. What a great time!! I guess the most noticeable things seeing the races live are... 1..How fast they're really going..(TV doesn't do it justice)..and 2... How flippin loud it is!! Waaay cool!!
Ducati had a pretty decent booth setup.. I was there at 7am Sunday and after talking to one of the Duc booth workers, he came out out with a t-shirt and kickstand holder for me..Pretty Cool!

How about all the nice people you meet at the race tracks???

Espically the nice couple from MA on the Multistrada :p

We got home around 6pm monday...423 miles for the day. We were both tired from a fun weekend. Next year we will do Mid Ohio, and maybe motogp at Indy. I dont fly so going to Laguna will have to wait until I have the time to ride out and back

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I was there Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. My Sportbike club rented out NJMP Thunderbolt on Monday.

Here's some pic's from this past weekends AMA races at NJMP Thunderbolt track.

Mladin had crashed in Saturday's race. He low sided in turn one fighting with Hayes. Here's some pic's of the bike before a complete rebuild with dust still all over it.

The number plate says it all

The Suzuki team put up this banner for Matt and the entire team signed it

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
It was a great weekend, but Monday was my favorite day since I was on the track all day exercising my 848 :D

During our standard 1 hour lunch break we got to watch AMA Sportbike racer Jason DiSalvo test the Rossmeyer Buell for a possible ride next year. His contract with Suzuki ended Sunday. So lunch was not boring for a change.;)

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Jason was actually testing it for an article for RRW in the next issue or two. A comparison between the bike he rode all season and the one he battled all season.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Jason was actually testing it for an article for RRW in the next issue or two. A comparison between the bike he rode all season and the one he battled all season.
Ohh ok, One of the guys from my club told me he was testing for a ride next year. I didn't think nothing of it since his contract with Suzuki ended Sunday. I will be on the look out for the RRW article soon. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Could have been both I guess and I know it started rumors :D He was riding the 1125R and Chris Ulrich was testing the 1125RR Superbike.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Could have been both I guess and I know it started rumors :D He was riding the 1125R and Chris Ulrich was testing the 1125RR Superbike.
All I can tell you for sure is this is the team he was testing for on Monday at NJMP. Yes Chris Ulrich was also there riding the Buell as well, But Jason was a little faster.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
On the Sunday morning of race #2 Mladin's A bike looked brand new as if it was never crashed the day before. Talk about fast service!!!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Who say's Pro racers don't wrench?? Here Daytona Sportbike racer Dennis Espinosa works on his Ducati 848 with just seconds to spare. The bikes were already on the grid and the engines were started and ready to go. Poor guy was frantic. His main race bike was taken out earlier and his team purchased this brand new 848 right off the Ducati display truck. He did make the grid on time. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
How about all the nice people you meet at the race tracks???

Espically the nice couple from MA on the Multistrada :p

We got home around 6pm monday...423 miles for the day. We were both tired from a fun weekend. Next year we will do Mid Ohio, and maybe motogp at Indy. I dont fly so going to Laguna will have to wait until I have the time to ride out and back
Yes!! It was awesome meeting you guy's Jim.. Glad you had a good ride home.. I wish I could have talked Jeanine into going on my bike.. Maybe next year!!
Bryan~

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW!..thanks for the pics guys! There are some great ones over in the Photography section too!
We went down on Friday, left about 930am and got there after 1100am. What a great ride we had, nothing beats flying down Rt 55 doing a good 80-90 mph !!! given it was Labor Day weekend I'm surprised we didn't all get pulled over by a NJ State police. We left before Superpole, but there was no doubt as I mentioned in my thread starter that Mladin was the quickest! You/I could see w/ a plain eye sitting on the Ducati Island grandstands and watching him circulate around other parts of the track.....speaking of Mladin, it looks like they used that whole can of Motul bike cleaner(see pic) sitting on the stand next to his dusty Suzuki to get it cleaned up. What amazed me is just how loud and fast the Buells are.....wicked sounding! It was so empty on Friday, it's amazing to see all the bikes at the Ducati Island!...that whole area was empty except a few (two) GSXRs parked near the DI grandstand.
Hopefully NJMP will continue on the AMA schedule, it should SPEED guys said it was by far the largest crowd of the season.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
All I can tell you for sure is this is the team he was testing for on Monday at NJMP. Yes Chris Ulrich was also there riding the Buell as well, But Jason was a little faster.
FWIW, Chris was 1.5 seconds faster on the Superbike spec 1125RR than Jason was on the Daytona Sportbike 1125R....

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
FWIW, Chris was 1.5 seconds faster on the Superbike spec 1125RR than Jason was on the Daytona Sportbike 1125R....
Sorry my info comes from the corner workers timing both riders during our lunch break. I was sitting at my table with some rider coaches and the corner workers were at the very next table with stop watches and told us that Jason had the fastest time. I didn't see any reason not to believe them at the time. But yeh it makes sense that a Superbike would be faster than a daytona sportbike. There was a total of 3 bikes on the track. Not sure who the 3rd rider was, perhaps another journalist?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Race

Did anyone watch the Team Promo race? I was in it.. my first... it was pretty cool lining up knowing that some of the AMA guys were there...

I went down Thursday night and did not leave until Monday night.. what a weekend !! great time and great fun...

I believe AMA we'll be there again next year.. everybody was real cool... from the riders to the track officials...

how come the number were kept secret? wtf is the big deal??

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Did anyone watch the Team Promo race? I was in it.. my first... it was pretty cool lining up knowing that some of the AMA guys were there...

I went down Thursday night and did not leave until Monday night.. what a weekend !! great time and great fun...

I believe AMA we'll be there again next year.. everybody was real cool... from the riders to the track officials...

how come the number were kept secret? wtf is the big deal??
Yeh it was a great weekend for sure. I was there Saturday, Sunday and, on Monday I did the Team ProMo school. I did watch your race from the grandstands. I believe it was around 8 laps or so. Looked as if everyone had a good time.
As fare as numbers, I heard it was one of the best AMA spectator turn outs of the year. Yes AMA will be back at NJMP next year. No way is the track going to let them go after this weekend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts