Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HODGSON REPRESENTING. Hodgson starts on 2nd row of the 2006 AMA Superbike Kick-off, Daytona

From the AMA Superbike site:

March 09, 2006

Chris Martin

Parts Unlimited Ducati’s Neil Hodgson is carrying high hopes into the ’06 season with his learning year now behind him. The former World Superbike king will start the first race of his sophomore campaign from the second row after qualifying his 999F06 in sixth with a lap of 1:38.398 around the DIS high banks.
Hodgson said of his session, “It was mixed really. I was sort of always in the top four throughout the whole session and then literally in the last two laps I got put back to sixth, which was annoying. I put a soft tire on at the end, but I just didn’t make the most of it. I was pretty annoyed at myself because I rode really safe. If you ride safe there’s no point sitting here complaining about not being on the front row. In this sport you’ve just got to ride hard.”

However, the Briton expects to fare better come raceday. “I think I’m looking good, definitely for a top-four finish. To be totally honest, if I got on the podium I’d be happy here. For the first race of the year, to get on the podium would be a good start. But don’t get me wrong -- I want to win.”

At Daytona there’s always a chance of a huge drafting war breaking out, especially now that the Superbikes take part in a sprint race instead of the 200-miler and the field is enjoying renewed depth. That would be a welcome outcome to Hodgson. “I’m looking forward to that. Some of my best races have always been big drafting races. That’s what racing is all about -- tactical as well. It would be really exciting. Whatever happens I hope it’s a dice. It would be really, really boring if Mat were to break away. I so hope that doesn’t happen. I think if he doesn’t break away in the first three or four laps, we’ve all got a chance of hanging on. The Hayden brothers, both Hondas, all Suzukis, and all the Ducatis could be in a big ole battle. That would be great for the sport.”

Link to article:

http://www.amasuperbike.com/article.php?UID=EFyGDjlZ27q3t15cOLfs01Wem8NXx5&sc=1120&aid=7548

Meanwhile:

Ben Bostrom: 3rd fastest in Practice...

Not a bad start ... the man to watch on the Duc, and hungry for the good old times ... Let's go Ben!!!

(It's nice to see that number 155 on the new Duc ... feels like the FUTURE :D )

*****Update on Mladin******

FAST AS HELL.

THE END.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, I had just started to watch and had to go back to work.

·
Alaska Born Tsimshian
379 Posts
Man, I like listening to Hodgson speak. He's always gracious towards other racers. Now I think THAT'S good for the sport! Like I've said before, I hope we get to hear from him AND B Boz a lot this season!

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
red_ryder said:
Did you guys watch the race? What the heck happened with that pace car?!

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Mar/060311f.htm

Another perfect example of AMA Racing's fine, fine officiating. Is there a racing series anywhere in the world where the pace vehicle DOES NOT pick up the leader? It IS in their rules. Such a simple process to carry out and they could not even get that right. Would it have changed anything? Doubt it, but you never know.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i was at the race and never heard why a pace car was needed, but if a pace car is needed, then it should get out there as soon as possible. you would not expect them to wait another lap, so they could get in front of the leader. it was a bad break for duhamel "snif" but he was a half a mile behind zemke with 8 laps to go. in superbike the ducati's were fast, but could not catch the suzuki's. hodgson is a great racer and he really pushed the ducati to get 4th. bostrom was in 8th place on the opening lap and could not catch the leaders. i think spies could have won the race, but i believe he laid back so mladin coud get the win. i think spies is in awe of mladin, but spies himself is a great racer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
one more thing, all the harleys broke. the funny thing about them is the fact, they were totally silent. i mean zero exhaust note. sounded like a muffled honda. the formula extreme should be called the silent extreme.

·
Registered
208 Posts
actually the ducati's were silent also. the exhause note was barely noticeable. maybe i'm going totally deaf. at least i can still hear by ducati.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I remember at the AMA race at VIR last year you could definitely hear the Ducatis. We were at turn 4 and they just sounded so different from other bikes. Made me feel proud.

·
Registered
208 Posts
if i had been closer to them, prehaps i could have heard them better. i get up high in the stands, so i can see the entire track. the race track has been cut down from 3.81 miles to 2.5 miles. it is much slower than before. the 600's are doing about 104 mph average, and the superbikes are doing about 108 mph. thats what the program says, but the superbikes looked much faster. i will have to check out those speeds. they are saying the track is now 2.5 miles long, but the 200 mile race was only 68 laps. now isn't 2.5 miles times 68 laps 170 miles. i guess they will have to change the race name to the honda 170 at daytona. these people are trying my patience. ha

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
2.5 miles is the tri-oval for NASCAR, the AMA runs the infields, and cuts off NASCAR 1 and 2 for 2.95 miles which 68 laps makes 200.6 miles.

As far as the pace car, it should waved the other riders by to let Zemke be right behind...

I wasn't a big Neil fan in WSBK, but since listening to interviews, and reading articles it's hard not to like the guy.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
vduc said:
2.5 miles is the tri-oval for NASCAR, the AMA runs the infields, and cuts off NASCAR 1 and 2 for 2.95 miles which 68 laps makes 200.6 miles.

As far as the pace car, it should waved the other riders by to let Zemke be right behind...

I wasn't a big Neil fan in WSBK, but since listening to interviews, and reading articles it's hard not to like the guy.

Saw him (Neil) at a Sport Bike Night event last year. Eric Bostrom was there also. Very good chemistry between the two riders and Neil in particular was a crowd favorite. He is quite the joker and very personable. Funny how meeting one on one changes your perception about people for the positive or negative. This is Neil's year of reckoning with Ducati, last year being the "learning year". He knows this and he is going to push that bike real hard. Same goes for Ben Bostrom, he needs a pick me up like Bayliss is doing now.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
John said:
Funny how meeting one on one changes your perception about people for the positive or negative.
How true, I've meet a few racers over the years, and most have been very friendly. Had the chance to talk to Eric Bostrom, Kevin Schwantz, and Doug Chandler and all were great. Eric is super easy going, down to earth,and I for one am sad that he left Ducati, at least he's with my favorite Japanese brand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts