Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I am looking to get back into riding: I had a Triumph Daytona T595 long ago (I was 30yrs old) and then a few years later moved onto a dual sport XR650L, then onto nothing.

Wondering if a Ducati Panigale would be age appropriate? and I should be looking at either a multistrada or a Triumph Tiger , or a Yamaha Super Tenere?
I know its all subjective for the most part but wondering what the general consensus is? I'd be using it commuting (and its about 38miles each way, mostly highway with some traffic), fun sport riding and possibly try a track day or two (I live so close to Millville NJ / thunderbolt racetrack NJMP.com) if I did get a pure sports bike.

Are there any my age riders on here that can advise? thank you !

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
It's not really an age dependent decision...but to answer your question, no...I know a 71 year old that rides one. FWIW (which is nothing IMO) I'm older than you and I have a 1299S.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fact, if you check out the US Desmo group the average age of the people in that group, at least the ones who ride all the time, is easily 50. We did the Blue Ridge Parkway ride with Jim and the group and there were several old geezers on 1098s, 1198s and a couple panigales and they definitely were not going slow :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm 74 and I ride a 996R and put about 22k miles on it. I also ride an 888 SP4 and my project bike is an 888 with 996 lump. A bike will only go as fast as you let it. Only you can decide if the riding position is too extreme.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm 74 and I ride a 996R and put about 22k miles on it. I also ride an 888 SP4 and my project bike is an 888 with 996 lump. A bike will only go as fast as you let it. Only you can decide if the riding position is too extreme.
Case and point.. HAHA, I wish I had that 996R though! :)

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I imagine most people that can afford a Pani are around your age. So I think you will be in good company. ?
My DaD at retirement age put more kms in my CBR than I did.
P.S You only as old as the young one riding pillion with you ?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't see the problem. I had a 998FE when I was a young kid like you are :D

Marc

Reactions: NielStrada

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Other than the slight increase in power you might note compared to your older rides, why not? As long as you can still fold yourself up enough to fit on one, go for it. I'm over 50 and can easily spend the whole day on my 916. Advil is a wonderful thing!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm 43 and just bought the 848, commuting 90-odd kilometres each work day, and the occasional weekend ride.

I'd say it depends on how physically fit you are, and have many niggling "war wounds" you might be carrying, that might make the riding style uncomfortable.

Other than that, if it floats your boat, then go for it.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I'm almost 50 and have 10 Ducati's with a plan of picking up a 1199 or 1299 or even a RSV4....your only as old as you think/feel......and I feel like I'm 18 again when the wife gets sassy >:):grin2:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think a lot depends on your physical condition, and your reflexes.

I'm older and still enjoy a good brisk ride, but I'm not as fast as I was
20+ years ago. You just have to know your limits, especially on the street.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I am pretty fit: my fitness group does some pretty extreme workouts at the health center (used to be a low 16min 5k runner in my 30s, now I'm running 19s :( and 1h45min half marathons) so I'm not too concerned with physical part of it. The only other "slight" concern (and this is probably stupid) is that I am 5'11'' with longer legs than torso. Will I be cramped on the Panigale and look goofy? Like the bike is too small for me?

I havent ventured to a dealer yet. Im in vineland NJ so not many duc dealers very close to take a quick look until I'm ready.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
they fit me well i'm 6'1

your never too old for anything, stay loose have fun man

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The guy I got my 999S from was 80. The bike is 10 years old so he got it new when he was 70. He only put 12K miles on it over the time he had it, but still. I heard his wife made him sell it after he had wrist surgery otherwise he would have kept it.

Heart-breakign story if you ask me.

Anyway I'm 40 and more comfy on my 999S than on my Sport classic.

Pani seems like a lot of bike though. Have you ridden a multi? that thing is a ton of fun and fast enough..

·
Registered
847 Posts
My favorite quote " you don't quit riding because you get old...you get old because you quit riding" 45 years old....you're still a child ? I'm 60 and love my 996. Not very comfortable, but I love it. Get the Superbike and ride the wheels off it!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm the same age and I have a 1098 but then again, I also have a Harley Vrod Muscle for more comfort ;-)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts