Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery is more volatile than the bloody weather in New York. Can anyone recommend me what battery is best ideal for my ducati monster 796? I'm currently looking at the Ballistic Performance Evo2 Performance Battery 8 Cell battery. Your insight will be much appreciated.

·
Vendor
423 Posts
I'd go with Shorai. I've got one in my Monster and I've never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the tender which helps it start up so that I can travel to work. But when I'm done for work after 8 hrs, the bike sometimes does not start at all. So it's more like I have to carry the tender every where I go just in case it dies off again and it's annoying. :( just wanna change the battery and get it over and done with.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Have you had your charging system checked? I had a similar problem and it ended up being the rectifier/ regulator that eventually went out.

I went with the shorai battery and the light weight and small size is awesome, but the fact that you have to use the dedicated shorai charger is lame. If I where to buy one again, I would buy a Earth X brand. Which has the special charging electronics built into the battery so you can use any standard trickle charger.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My bike had a bad stator and it wasn't charging fully while the engine was running. It was just luck that they found it before it left me stranded on the side of the road. The traction control started flashing and the bike wouldn't go so I turned off the ignition and started the bike up again and it seemed fine but I swung by the dealer just to have them check it out and they found that the stator was bad and wasn't charging the battery.

Dealer replaced it under warranty. Good thing too, that sucker costs over $600 just for the part.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have checked the stator and its fine. Just that I have a bad battery due to leaving my bike with the parking lights on overnight. After that night, the battery power just isn't the same anymore. Hence I just needed a heads up on what battery everyone thinks its ideal. Thanks for the advice though. Much appreciated.

·
27,525 Posts
It sounds to me like the battery got drained when you left the parking lights on overnight (ah yes...the rest of the story), it has yet to be properly re-charged (8 hours on a Tender is not enough if it been seriously depleted like it sounds like it has been).
Your 40 minute rides...how much of that is at 5000 rpm? Stop and go in the city is not enough re-charge it.

Maybe it would be best to simply start all over again with a fresh battery, and plug it into a tender often. Ducatis eat batteries sitting still.

As far as replacement batteries go, I would stay away from the new fangled lightweight batteries the guys in Southern California rave about. They don't deal with the temperatures and conditions you are dealing with. A stock battery is just great. Shoot, I got years out of a Wal Mart battery in my 950 Adventure...another bike with a wickid parasitic draw.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Depending on what info I can find about the stock batteries, it might also be a good idea to make sure your charger/maintainer has an AGM mode as well.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have checked the stator and its fine. Just that I have a bad battery due to leaving my bike with the parking lights on overnight. After that night, the battery power just isn't the same anymore. Hence I just needed a heads up on what battery everyone thinks its ideal. Thanks for the advice though. Much appreciated.
Yeah, that will kill a battery. That isn't a failing of your stock battery, any battery will do that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea my uncle was explaining about the whole draining of battery and stuffs to me the whole night. Lol. The only thing now is if only changing batteries in a new monster was that easy and less time consuming. Got to salute the Ducati team for that blunder!! Haha

It sounds to me like the battery got drained when you left the parking lights on overnight (ah yes...the rest of the story), it has yet to be properly re-charged (8 hours on a Tender is not enough if it been seriously depleted like it sounds like it has been).
Your 40 minute rides...how much of that is at 5000 rpm? Stop and go in the city is not enough re-charge it.

Maybe it would be best to simply start all over again with a fresh battery, and plug it into a tender often. Ducatis eat batteries sitting still.

As far as replacement batteries go, I would stay away from the new fangled lightweight batteries the guys in Southern California rave about. They don't deal with the temperatures and conditions you are dealing with. A stock battery is just great. Shoot, I got years out of a Wal Mart battery in my 950 Adventure...another bike with a wickid parasitic draw.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Make sure you install a quick connector for charging/maintaining purposes so you never have to deal with taking it out again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts