Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and have found all kinds of different answers. I own a 2008 848 with both original keys. I bought it used and i did not get a code card. had no idea about it till i just recently got an immobilizer code.

I want to have some sort of knowledge about the subject before i get raped by the dealership. I have driven the bike with no problems for the last year or so.

anybody know what my options are?

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
I have searched and have found all kinds of different answers. I own a 2008 848 with both original keys. I bought it used and i did not get a code card. had no idea about it till i just recently got an immobilizer code.

I want to have some sort of knowledge about the subject before i get raped by the dealership. I have driven the bike with no problems for the last year or so.

Just to be clear, the bike won't start?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope. bike will not start.

replacing all those parts seems extremely expensive. and ridiculous

·
Registered
241 Posts

Cheapest solution is to buy the DucatiDiag Writer Program (100 euros) and re-flash the ECU to disable the immobilizer function, you get some other nice features with the Writer like changing the fuel map to a DP, speedo correction, radiator fan on-temperature, Lambda sensor disable, Exhaust valve disable, rev limiter point etc...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Dash Key Code recovery,Immobilizer Mileage Correction

On all 848/1098/1198 superbikes the immobilizer is in the dash unit, not the ecu. Rewriting the ecu will not solve the problem.

If both keys are the original ones and the bike has been running then you have a faulty key, antenna(most likely), Dash. One of these is bad. Normally what will happen is the antenna will slide off the plastic cover around the key and cause your issue. You can test this by using the spare key and hold it near the bottom of the ignition switch and then using the other key to turn on the ignition. If good to go pull the cover off and relocate the antenna. To test the antenna is easy. Swap it out if you have a buddy with a bike. This is the at your house quick and dirty as I don't know what tools or test equipment you may have.

Keycode is to unlock the dash unit so that you can reprogram new keys. To retrieve the code if you have lost the code card can be done by me at Redlinemotors.com also if the dash needs to be replaced I can correct the mileage to what is current so you don't end up with zero miles on the dash and a bad title with NO ACTUAL MILEAGE which kills your resell and it's annoying to have to start over on the 600 mile idiot lights etc. Turn around is a day and cost is 300 bucks+shipping. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you were right, It was the antenna. It was not pushed down all the way. What a relief, Went out for a little spin today after I warmed everything up. Big ol smile ear to ear!!

Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
210 Posts

Glad you got it figured out the easy way. This forum rocks! Just a question though. You said you have both original keys. As in the red and the black? I thought if you had the red key it could be used (by the dealership) to reset the immobilizer. Can anyone verify this? (I have both the red and black keys, but no card... you can see why this concerns me)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glad you got it figured out the easy way. This forum rocks! Just a question though. You said you have both original keys. As in the red and the black? I thought if you had the red key it could be used (by the dealership) to reset the immobilizer. Can anyone verify this? (I have both the red and black keys, but no card... you can see why this concerns me)

Clamzo- What bike and model year do you have? My 07' 1098 didn't come with a Red Key, only with two black keys and a "Key Code Card" that looks like a credit card. This key code card has the engine immobilizer unlock code printed on it. If you want a dealership to make a spare key, they will ask for the code card, and also proof of ownership, etc. It was my understanding that they quit issuing the older style red key at some point, but I'm not sure at what point or models/year that happened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah. i only have two original black keys on my 08 848. i dont believe it came with red key. just the card

·
Registered
210 Posts
clamzo- what bike and model year do you have? My 07' 1098 didn't come with a red key, only with two black keys and a "key code card" that looks like a credit card. This key code card has the engine immobilizer unlock code printed on it. If you want a dealership to make a spare key, they will ask for the code card, and also proof of ownership, etc. It was my understanding that they quit issuing the older style red key at some point, but i'm not sure at what point or models/year that happened.
2003 999s

·
Registered
65 Posts
After doing a bit more research, it looks like Ducati started issuing the key code cards in 2007, so I'd imagine a bike before that would've had the Red Key...

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
I must post this about once a day...

Give them a call:

S.O.S. Diagnostics - Italian Bike Programming and Keys

Geoff
I used them to extract the key code for the first 848 i purchased (used) which had no key code card... all you need to send them is the dash unit and a working key and they'll do a bang up job.. I would highly recommend them.

and red keys were never issued for any of the 848/1098/1198 series....

best regards,
Josh

·
Registered
35 Posts
A new '03 999 came with 2 black keys, a red key and a Code Card. The Code Card has both an electronic code number and a mechanical code number printed on the back. The electronic code is used if your key does not start the bike (and your 2nd black key or red key are not handy). Should the key's immobilizer function not work (antenna etc.), entering this code via the throttle when the key is ON bypasses the engine immobilizer allowing you to start the engine . No need for the card itself just the electronic code number.

The mechanical code on the card is supplied to Ducati service should you order duplicate keys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts